No sales on Black Friday

With all the hype of Black Friday to Cyber Monday I was hoping to have a few sales, and sadly no... and here comes the retail recession we had to have 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

No sales on Black Friday

I think the whole idea is silly anyway - thanksgiving is not celebrated in Australia.

Without the Thanksgiving marker, or any public holidays, Black Friday is currently not a big event in Australia. ... Cyber Monday, the Monday after Black Friday, popular for online shopping super sales, has even lower awareness in Australia.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

Yes, a lot of balderdash.

It's totally irrelevant to Australia.

I predict a slow death of black friday here in Aus.

image host
Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Black Friday in Australia means something different to us.

It means bushfires, death and destruction, not happily looking for sales.

Stupid Yanks Americans

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

I don't like the name and when i first saw it rear it's head a few years back, wondered what on earth it was about.

I agree, we don't have thanksgiving here so you'd think it would be irrelevant. Well, it is in that sense.

However, I predict it won't die out, it will remain here as what it is, a sales opportunity. Here in Australia, it will just mean discounts.

I already see it getting bigger each year, as in every company seems to be pushing it.

I'm on facebook and today i have seen people asking about sales. ie one woman was asking if anyone had seen any Samsung phones on Black Friday sale.

I am currently kicking myself as a month or so back I bought a voucher to make ceramic Christmas ornaments. They were on sale at about $7 each but today they are $5 each.Smiley Sad  And i uploaded them only tonight. So I'll remember that for next year.

The Black Friday sales are everywhere online, you know it is widespread when Tupperware gets into the act. And yes, even they have Black Friday specials.

Whether people would think to check ebay I don't know, as there aren't any specific discounts. I just checked the main page and there are some items on special but nothing I can see eg like a % off virtually any sale

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

Woolies and BWS are doing it as well.

Doesn't fuss me. I will take their discounts/bonus points and buy the stuff I usually buy.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

@billexploited wrote:

With all the hype of Black Friday to Cyber Monday I was hoping to have a few sales, and sadly no... and here comes the retail recession we had to have 

Probably because people are flocking to the big name retailers on eBay to get the big discounts. The ones eBay have been flooding our inbox with. Smaller sellers have no hope this weekend.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

There was no parking at my local Westfield today because of black friday sales. It was crazy. I just wanted to go to the post office but couldn't even get a park. Had to go back just before closing time.
Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

massive amount of sales on facebook for me just before blackfriday and a fair few on friday - gumtree even had quite a few on Friday - black friday is here to stay and looks to attract heaps of activity - must perpare better for next year

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

You seem to have the golden touch.

I'm only average as a seller (but then again, I don't have lots of collectables I am selling off, just everyday stuff now and again on FB & Gumtree).

However, I am a buyer here and I can get at least 1% cash back any time with any purchase on ebay and bigger % cash back on most of the bigger retailers eg There's currently an offer of 12% off Amazon and Nike sites, 10% off Groupon and 6% off Myer. So I'll be doing a lot of my browsing on the hundreds of sites that offer me a bit of a bonus. GT & Marketplace aren't on that list. 

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply