No sales on Black Friday

With all the hype of Black Friday to Cyber Monday I was hoping to have a few sales, and sadly no... and here comes the retail recession we had to have 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

No sales on Black Friday

I think if I were trying to sell on ebay, I probably would not go with the user name supermussolini.

I'm sure it is probably just related to super mario or games somehow, but personally, I think anything with the word Mussolini in the name could be polarising as far as buyers go. Depends on what is being sold, I suppose.

I think on ebay it's better to have a nice, neutral sort of user name.  Then again, games aren't my thing and I don't know much about them, so i could be way wrong.

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

i dont get any sale on Black Friday. As said by previous conversations, the big players do well, but not the small eBay sellers.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

@toynbook wrote:

i dont get any sale on Black Friday. As said by previous conversations, the big players do well, but not the small eBay sellers.

As every business and their dog is offering ridiculous discounts from Friday to Monday, why would you expect to? Unless you also offer ridiculous discounts.

Having said that, I made 2 sales on Friday and 1 today. About average. With no discounts.

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

I'm only a small seller and I had better than average sales today and yesterday. I don't believe all these sales events affect our ebay sales. I often get my best sales in January when everyone is supposed to be broke after christmas.

There are two types of people - those who live on other people's money (credit) because they have no discipline, and those who live on their own money. The latter will always take advantage of sales, the former just buy whenever they want something, whether it's on sale or not.
Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

My best months are January and February. I sell collectables, which I always thought would have made good Christmas presents, but people seem to spend their Christmas money on my collectables! I'm happy for them to do so.

That said, I've had a very busy few days. Maybe someone got some vouchers or birthday money. I have around a dozen things to post Monday (at this stage).

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

On Friday I was expecting my store to be quiet, and I had not a single sale until that night, when I had 2. Then early on Saturday morning I had another 3. Nothing more for the past 10 or so hours though.

In terms of actual Black Friday, it really is just Australia cashing in on yet more sales events. I'd never even heard of Black Friday until about 7 years ago when my good friend in New Jersey mentioned his wife was getting up at 6am to go to the sales. It took several more years since then for those sales to come here.

I liken it to Boxing Day here. The US doesn't have Boxing Day, so they have this instead. Sooo...why do we have both now??
Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

It's a retail thing.Smiley Very Happy They like to crowd as many of them into a year as they can. Just look at how something like Mother's Day has gone from visiting your mother with a simple bunch of flowers to suggestions to buy her a washing machine!

Having said that, I am noticing that a lot of the Black Friday sales don't just happen on Friday. Most seem to extend till about midnight this coming Monday. It's a Black long weekend?

I suppose if you have some items in mind, maybe for Christmas presents, and they come up on sale, it is a good time to buy them now. I know I loathe the last minute rush and crowds in shops in the week before Christmas.

I'd be guessing here but I'd say Tippy's sales of collectables in Jan (or some of them) are going to people who are buying for themselves. Lots of people have some time off in Jan and if they are like me, it's a great time to browse as all the present buying and cooking and preparation for Christmas/new year are behind you and you can relax.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

@springyzone wrote:

It's a retail thing.Smiley Very Happy They like to crowd as many of them into a year as they can. Just look at how something like Mother's Day has gone from visiting your mother with a simple bunch of flowers to suggestions to buy her a washing machine!

Having said that, I am noticing that a lot of the Black Friday sales don't just happen on Friday. Most seem to extend till about midnight this coming Monday. It's a Black long weekend?

I suppose if you have some items in mind, maybe for Christmas presents, and they come up on sale, it is a good time to buy them now. I know I loathe the last minute rush and crowds in shops in the week before Christmas.

I'd be guessing here but I'd say Tippy's sales of collectables in Jan (or some of them) are going to people who are buying for themselves. Lots of people have some time off in Jan and if they are like me, it's a great time to browse as all the present buying and cooking and preparation for Christmas/new year are behind you and you can relax.

Monday is Cyber Monday, I believe, which is why a lot of sales run for a few days.  I've been getting emails for Black Friday sales for the last week so some start early and end late.  It's just more hype as far as I'm concerned - any excuse to attract attention.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

because i buy on ebay and resell for two to three times the value i have bought on here - why are you here?  I don't sell on here anymore as the fees are pathetic but you seem to like it.

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

No sales on Black Friday

why are you attempting to drive people away from here unless they conform to your rules? someone needs to file a report......

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply