Postage Pirate

Not that I would even bother buying from this seller, but their postage charges are ridiculous!

check this out and then look at their other listings?

New IKEA TROFAST Storage box, white 601.693.12

$40 postage for one plate, OMG

$50 postage for a travel mug. (More like anyone who buys this is a mug) 😅

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Postage Pirate

It sounds like a good idea until ............

You have to deliver the 80 kg. boxed lounge suite up the narrow stair well to the tiny 3rd floor appartment in ther cream brick units next to the railway line ( My sister in law used to live there   Smiley Very Happy  )   or the business sends the wrong colour item and its all your fault ( you should have checked you know and you should know the difference between desert sand and beige. ).

I,m getting a headache just thinking about it      Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

And I thought people putting CDs in $8.50 satchels was ridiculous!
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Looking at their exclusions, it shows they will only deliver to NSW and QLD metro areas, possibly because they're basically dropshipping Ikea products? I know the Ikea store here in SA doesn't deliver, anyway, which sucks 'cos I can't get there and wouldn't mind the option to buy online and have things delivered - I'm talking larger furniture items, anyway, if shipping rates were decent for larger items.

The local Amart furniture store will deliver - prices start at $80, no matter what you buy, and it'd take them less than 5 mins to get a box from their store to me. 

There's a business opportunity for someone - pick up purchases and deliver them (for less than the shop would do it).

Mr Tippy did that a few years back. People didn't want to pay the $50 to get something delivered from Hardly Normal. They expected MR Tippy to do it for free. He charged $25 for local deliveries. $40 if he needed to bring a friend. It was a flop. Lots of calls but no one wanted to pay. They expected it for free.

Someone asked if he'd go to Adelaide to bring some of her remaining furniture  (we're in NSW). Yes, he was happy to go. She offered him $100. He said $1,000, she insisted on $100. She paid $1,500 for a removalist.

Other people have since tried and also failed. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Someone asked if he'd go to Adelaide to bring some of her remaining furniture  (we're in NSW). Yes, he was happy to go. She offered him $100. He said $1,000, she insisted on $100. She paid $1,500 for a removalist.

o_O People are strange.

And (selectively) stingy - $100 wouldn't have even covered the expenses. Smiley Surprised

Stuff like that can be successful in some cases (eg low risk areas, like Uber Eats), but I think for large and expensive items, there'd be issues of insurance / liability to consider, plus some outlets won't let anyone but the purchaser collect items, which could be arranged I suppose but would be a PITA sometimes.

I can't understand anyone thinking the service should be provided to them for free, though. I certainly paid a fair amount to the guys I ended up getting to pick up my new desk when I bought it (not that they asked for, or were expecting it, since they were family members doing me a favour, but fair's fair and it was still less than the insane delivery fee I was quoted). 

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

We have very little here in the way of home delivery food (except pizza). Someone started a business that would pick up your food for you for $5. They'd go to multiple places for an extra $2 per place. I felt that was ridiculously cheap. They didn't last long either. People felt $5 was a rip off when it would be less than $2 for petrol. I was gutted when they stopped. They were very useful in winter when you didn't feel like going out in the cold.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Wow, people seriously don't think much beyond the obvious I guess? Smiley Surprised (By which I mean I agree that $5 is cheap, when you're talking about someone who is essentially acting as an independent, freelance contractor, and expenses would include more than just petrol).

Even the delivery charges from some of the restaurants that deliver to me are usually more than that, and they're also profiting from the food I buy (most of them have minimum spends for delivery, and can charge up to $15). 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Looking at their exclusions, it shows they will only deliver to NSW and QLD metro areas, possibly because they're basically dropshipping Ikea products? I know the Ikea store here in SA doesn't deliver, anyway, which sucks 'cos I can't get there and wouldn't mind the option to buy online and have things delivered - I'm talking larger furniture items, anyway, if shipping rates were decent for larger items.

The local Amart furniture store will deliver - prices start at $80, no matter what you buy, and it'd take them less than 5 mins to get a box from their store to me. 

There's a business opportunity for someone - pick up purchases and deliver them (for less than the shop would do it).

It already exists to some extent. Have you looked at services seeking or airtasker?

I think it is on services seeking where people pop up a task they want done and price they are willing to pay for it & they seek replies. They can then accept whichever one they want and they pay servicesseeking, which only pays the person once the task is done.

There is a problem with it in that I went on it about a very small electrical job but I had no idea what the going rate would be or  how long the task would take or what to offer. I wish they had an option where you didn't have to enter an amount.

I have often seen ads in there where people are looking for someone to move one item of furniture or pick up one thing. I suppose (depending on the item) if you lived close by it may be worth while but some people offer ridiculously low amounts (as in $10) and sometimes I think-why would anyone bother putting themselves out and using petrol etc for that? But most are more ball park offers.

But it is probably worth putting yourself on those sites if you are after a few jobs.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply