Postage and Profits

Hi I havent sold on ebay for over 10 years, and have just started again

I am shocked by how much it costs to send a 500g satchel $8.25 in 2004 it was $4 something

I was wondering if sellers find that having to charge more for postage has affected their sales over the last years or do you find that people are willing to pay $8+ for a parcel item (which im finding is pretty much 99% of the stuff sold on ebay) 

If a buyer bought a t-shirt for example at 10.00 and the postage is 8+ than there paying about 20 dollars and the incentive to buy online over a retail store has got to be comprimised? 

Any tips on how to save on postage?

Look forward to your replies

depotsupplys

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Postage and Profits

All sellers who use AP are paying the same rates so what makes a difference to one makes it to all. You can post a little cheaper by using the ebay branded satchels with click & send or by using the ebay service.These also give you better seller protection than a regular small parcel (also cheaper than a red satchel up to 500g) or red or express satchels.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

Or squash the T-Shirt down to less than 2cm, which shouldn't be hard, and send as a letter.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

The pre-paid envelopes are great value...they take 500gm & suit large books (width restrictions though)....you can easily fold

cardboard piece (backing from sheet sets etc.) & post a t-shirt for around $2.35.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

The only problem with posting a large letter is lack of traceability.

You do not get tracking until you pay an extra three dollars so you run the risk of not being able to prove you posted it unless you take photos at the post office. You will also not be able to prove it was delivered safely.

With the number of scamming buyers nowadays it is not a matter of if you get a scammer but when you get one or more.

You will also need a supply of "do not safe drop" stickers.

Do not listen to the people who say it is not a problem as you will learn very quickly that Aus Post is not a perfect system any longer.

And when an item is "alledgedly lost" you will get very little protection from Paypal even if you can prove by their tricky rules that you have posted it.

There was a current affairs program on it late last year and items were being lifted before the delivery vans even left the site.

and delivery people were sometimes just leaving items sitting on top of unit letter boxes and people were deciding what they would knock off.

I have even had problems with rural areas.

One person claimed 5 times against me despite the fact I sent proof five times of registered post, tracking number, proof od delivery by signature and it was not until we obtained a copy of the drivers delivery sheet with a very clear distinctive signature and forwarded the information to the Financial industry ombudsman that we received a favourable verdict.

Yes some people have had no problems. BUT MANY are suffering regularly and lose, the money,the goods, time, and obtain bad feedback and restrictions on listing.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

i am one of the some.

And I am happy to self-insure in the event that something doesn't arrive. I sell in a market where I really don't have the luxury of setting my own prices. Presumably because a lot of other sellers are happy to take the risk

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

@depotsupplys wrote:

Hi I havent sold on ebay for over 10 years, and have just started again

I am shocked by how much it costs to send a 500g satchel $8.25 in 2004 it was $4 something

I was wondering if sellers find that having to charge more for postage has affected their sales over the last years or do you find that people are willing to pay $8+ for a parcel item (which im finding is pretty much 99% of the stuff sold on ebay) 

If a buyer bought a t-shirt for example at 10.00 and the postage is 8+ than there paying about 20 dollars and the incentive to buy online over a retail store has got to be comprimised? 

Any tips on how to save on postage?

Look forward to your replies

depotsupplys

Yes I can imagine your shock if you have not sold on eBay for 10 years, how much selling and posting, including costs, have changed.

My key post tip is to always factor in that no matter how much eBay promotes otherwise, that there are many, many buyers that are happy to pay the stated post cost for goods to avoid going to a retail store.

I think this may be for a range of reasons, but includes that for many buyers their time is worth much more to them than to spend it on shopping off-line in B&M, and many are more than happy to pay a $8 post charge (or other delivery costs), as it is actually a very real saving in terms of their time. 

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

Yeah tell me about it , i've just started selling again also .. I couldn't believe the price has doubled for fv fees satchels .. 

just state in your listings that you don't profit from postage and the price it is what it is , it's out of yur hands mabye offer a discount for mulitple items buyers will understand and  they know if they are being duped ...seen  a listing the other day for postage $20 outageous  and the item would of cost 15 in a pre paid satchel.. I sell clothing , i might send it in a envelope like someone mentioned on this thread ... thanks

you really are a special bunch
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

Try the satchels of  www.fastway.com.au

For NATIONAL USE, they sell (20 satchels mini)  for between $6.11 (incl GST 190x x 260mm up to 1 kg) and $11.10 (incl GST 450 x 610mm and up to 5kg) and offer insurance up to $1500 + trackability and signature. You may be able to negotiate a better deal for larger quantities (used to be for 40 or more).

For LOCAL use, they sell (20 satchels mini) for $7.48 (incl GST, 325 x 440mm up to 3kg, they used to cost $4.79 in 2005!!!)

Hope the above can help some of you.

Cheers,

Pascale

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Postage and Profits

.../...

I omitted , IMPORTANT:

for heavy items (up to 25kg in weight) their BROWN ZONE LABELS for LOCAL DELIV. are UNBEATABLE (as low as $4.50 with GST if purchase 100 labels!) and for country in state where you reside GREEN ARE BEST, also, up to 25 kg and $22.80 for anywhere in outback (!). All coming with signature and insurance, FASTWAY offer the best deals, the 'trick' cosists in purchasing in advance as many LABELS as possible to access the best rates.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply