Power Seller Leaving Ebay

When Ebay introduced "Money Back Guarantee" on the 1st of November, it caused me to be concerned.

As a retailer, I am aware of the tricks a buyer will get up to to return an item or claim they didn't get the item. Unfortunately I have had my 1st experience within 3 weeks of the introduction of the policy. Till then I have never had a claim against me.

I now buy postal insurance in case a buyer says they didn't get the item.Yet Ebay hassle sellers to reduce our postage charges.

I felt the introduction of charging fees for postage was unfair however I accepted to absorb this extra fee.

However the "Money Back Guarantee" is the last straw. Once the items I have listed have ended early December I will be closing shop.

My daughter, who was an Above Standard seller, has already closed shop.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Power Seller Leaving Ebay

aps1080
Community Member

"Yet Ebay hassle sellers to reduce our postage charges."

Apart from the abvious people charging high prices for postage to avoid fees (in the past),

I can't see why it is any of ebays business what people charge for postage.

If someone doesn't like it, they can find someone else to buy from or ask for an adjustment.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Sad to see another seller of interesting, quality items leaving. Every small seller that leaves, takes a little part of ebays variety and interest with them, untill the place is just left with bland ! bland ! bland !!!!!!!!!      

It was the small sellers of interesting, unusual and down right rare items that made ebay the giant it is today. Lose them and the place is just another shiny shopping mall, with nothing to differentiate it from hundreds of other shiny shopping malls.

Roseb2014, - I wish you and your daughter all the best in your new life - post ebay.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

ebay is hanging around on life suport.

the many changes they have made over the past few years has changed the place.

charging fees on postage is just plain theft no matter which way you look at it.

sellers carnt or should not make profit on postage cost yet ebay thinks its ok for them to do so.

a seller can make a mistake and will have there account shut on them yet non paying buyers are most welcome going by ebays adatude.

many of sellers are having there good name and ebay id tarnished by ebay opening the doors to anybody wishing to get things for free. ( belive me many will take the cahace to do so) 

ebays fees  of 9.9% are just out of order should be capped at max 3 % on listing where seller list for free or max 2% if seller pays listing fees. 

go back 6 or so years ago auctions would end in the tune of 20 every secound of the day or night but ebay killed the auction style selling and auctions are no longer worthy for sellers to try.

most listings now start around rrp on most items so to add postage its cheaper to buy elsewhere.

without the hassle if items are going to arrive in good shape or at all.

for the items I look for which is diecast models it is over 15% cheaper to buy elsewhere as most now are listed here at or above rrp just crazy.. ( i dont blame the sellers its ebays greed that have forced sellers to raise prices to cover cost involved)   we seller are over being ripped off by what is just plain greed on ebays part. ( just watch the ebay lovers jump on this saying they are a business that need to make profit well i say there profit would have been much better 6 years ago than what they do now).

ebay as a company is a joke 

there shareholders would be worried 

seller are worried enogh to finaly give up selling 

buyers that use to come to ebay for those bargains can no longer find them

ebay has brushed away the mny millions of mum & dad sellers to suport big name retailers and chiness sellers that 95% of them have feedback that should scare off any buyer yet buyer still risk it then come here on forums and complain they got ripped off. 

yaers ago defects total on the whole ebay site was around 2% that included buyers that got negs for non payments now what worth really has the feedback system ?.

buyers can leave negs for nothing even if they dont pay for items ( mind you ebay says they will remove those but thats just BS they dont)

non paying buyers get a strike big deal they just open new account.

maybe its time now that new accounts must give 100 points of id before they can be used.....

ive closed my two selling ids 2 months ago and unless big changes are made then they shall remain closed.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks chameleon54. And insightful comments. 

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@roseb2014 wrote:

W

I now buy postal insurance in case a buyer says they didn't get the item.Yet Ebay hassle sellers to reduce our postage charges.

But that's their reverse psychology for ensuring that you raise your postage costs so that eBay get that

extra 9.9%  in FVF on postage.

That's why they introduced the policy,(so they can get more on postage FVF's from sellers).

It's the same as their getting sellers to list for 99 cent starts,(that way they know the item has the best chance of

selling and they'll get their FVF).

They don't care how little it sells for as long as they get their fees,(they get no fees for unsold items so they

want to ensure that the item/s sell).

It has nothing to do with being positive for the seller,(most of those sales now costs the seller money).

eBay is all about how much money they can get in their pocket and nothing else matters to them,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

My sentiments exactly ! I closed my ''Power selling'' shop this week and delisted my 180 shop items, as my ebay 'Selling experience' -was not what I signed up for all those years ago, (see posting Power Seller divorces ebay !).

Ebay has forgotten about, and no longer cares about the small business sellers on ebay, and sellers like myself are leaving  ebay and all it's fees and regulations, like rats getting off a sinking ship.

I've switched over the B(etsy) and can't believe how easy it is to list items, the low listing fees, low commission fees, and friendly easy to use professional site, that ebay is not.

All the best for your future endeavours (and your daughters).

There is life after ebay, leaving is like opening the window and letting in the fresh air !!

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I just do not see that the changes to moneyback has changed any thing.

The kettle I bourght in Sep that kicked the bucket last week could of be nice to have the warranty angle that eBay has now put in place could of included my purchased kettle in Sep.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Would have been nice, could have been. Present perfect tense.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@kg5collector wrote:

The kettle I bourght in Sep that kicked the bucket last week could of be nice to have the warranty angle that eBay has now put in place could of included my purchased kettle in Sep.

Actually, neither eBay nor PayPal will do anything about warranty claims - PayPal state clearly the INAD is about the item in its received condition, so working for a few months then packing in is not something they'll entertain as INAD, same goes with eBay, they mention that INAD covers items which are faulty on first use, providing an example of a TV that doesn't switch on. 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply