Selling Replica Items

rustify
Community Member

Hi all I was wondering why eBay doesn't allow people to sell replica items such as Louis Vuitton, or Chanel if it is listed as replica in the description.  I have seen people listing replica Louis Vuitton as LV rather than "Louis Vuitton" and starting bids at $20 rather than $200 however when I tried to list one of mine my listing was removed for a violation of the rules!  I know who the member is who reported my listing so why isn't this member doing the same for every replica item on eBay?  

Please help me understand this ruling and advise me on how to deal with this member.  I had in no way attempted to mislead any buyers in believing my handbag was real!  

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Selling Replica Items

Why are you replying to someone who is no longer a member of ebay, therefore NEVER going to see the message you wrote? I'm confused.

As for selling replicas/fakes, I have done so a few times, but they were listed as such. Not using those words because the bots jump on them. They weren't high end brand names like Prada or LV. The buyers knew they were getting replicas. They liked the idea of have a high priced equivalent to add to their collection for a few bucks. 

I have a Penny collection. I have a fake 1930 Penny to fill the space in my collection that would normally stay empty. I actually ended up with a few of them so I offloaded a few. The buyers knew they were fake (a proof 1930 Penny for $20 was probably a bit of a giveaway given a real one in proof condition would be worth over $1,000,000, plus it had "copy" stamped on it).

Last time I was in Sydney I went to Paddy's markets at Haymarket. It's smack in the middle of Chinatown, so most of the stallholders were Chinese. When you walk through the main entrance, the very first stall is chock full of high end handbags for between $50 and $100. 

I don't give a toss about high end brand names but it wouldn't take a genius to know they were fake. It wasn't just the price that gave it away. Loose threads, crooked stitching and crooked logo badges gave it away to me. Yet when I asked, I was told they were genuine. No they weren't, they weren't even lined, It didn't stop people buying them though! 

Message 31 of 68
Latest reply

What you see at the markets are "genuine fakes", not the cheap knock-off phoney fakes. You can , of course, pay for these with replica banknotes.

Message 32 of 68
Latest reply

u can only be charged with selling illegal if the company involved lay charges..only way anything will happen
Message 33 of 68
Latest reply

But you've done that and found that it gets you a nice red dot on feedback - too many of those and you'll find it hard to sell anything on eBay.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 34 of 68
Latest reply

buying counterfiet is not illegal, and if down the road u want to try sell it, that is also not illegal, it is illegal to produce counterfiet

Message 35 of 68
Latest reply

Message 36 of 68
Latest reply

no it's not like you think, do ever watch that show border control?   every episode travellors will enter the country from asia with counterfiet goods and the officers at the airport will always let them thru and keep product because it maybe only 1 or a few items, if it was as you state, all those would be charged but they are not, they are only after the manufactores of the fakes, not someone who simply buys one or who might re sell down the track

Message 37 of 68
Latest reply

only the company that holds a trademark can lay charges

Message 39 of 68
Latest reply

@iloveelena03-7 wrote:

only the company that holds a trademark can lay charges

Which clearly suggest that using their trademarks in a commercial capacity is a chargeable offence.

It sounds like what you're suggesting - and encouraging others to do - is break the law because you can get away with it? Smiley Frustrated

Message 40 of 68
Latest reply