Selling outside ebay message warning

Hi All, just curious toknow if anyone has received a message from ebay warning about messages sent to sellers about buying outside ebay? I just received one and can not for the life of me find the supposed message I sent to the potential buyer. I dont even thing I had any messages regarding the item I am being warned about...any thoughts? Cheers

Message 1 of 88
Latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Selling outside ebay message warning

It is against ebay Policy to put any contact details in a listing unless you have a huge store.

Ebay's reaction would be to remove the listing at best, at worst they will remove you, the seller, from the site.

Message 51 of 88
Latest reply

Someone should try including a couple of CAPTCHA images as extra "photos" of the item. The bots will just love going through them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think there are a few text to CAPTCHA-lookalike generators out there...
Message 52 of 88
Latest reply

I am sick to the back teeth with continually receiving non-sensical warnings from EBay when all we are trying to do is provide customer service.

To alleviate the issue we are now removing the pick-up option from our listings.

Message 53 of 88
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

I am sick to the back teeth with continually receiving non-sensical warnings from EBay when all we are trying to do is provide customer service.

To alleviate the issue we are now removing the pick-up option from our listings.

But surely the pick up option applies to someone who has purchased the item? In which case, you are 'allowed' by ebay to supply contact details.

The problem arises when people wish to inspect an item before committing to purchase. This is what is not being allowed by ebay unless the propsepctive buyer first commits to buy. Which ends up in the ludicrous situation which I have just experienced. A potential buyer wished to try on a jacket before purchasing. Normally I would have been quite happy to allow this. But I had to tell her that ebay no longer allowed me to give her my contact details, and that she had to hit the BIN button first (but not pay). I was then able to give her my contact details. She came and tried the jacket on, it didn't fit her, so we agreed to cancel the sale.

Then the running around started. I requested the cancellation in order to get my FVF back. Three days later still no agreement to the cancellation, despite sending the buyer two emails letting her know what to expect. She is not a frequesnt buyer, and didn't know to check under the resolution centre tab of her account (I didn't know that either, but found out after chatting with ebay). The only choice under that was that the buyer had received a full refund and agreed to the cancellation. Since the buyer didn't receive a refund because she hadn't actually paid anything, goodness knows what will happen next.

Message 54 of 88
Latest reply

I think you will find that you will sit and twiddle your thumbs until the cancellation times out and you will finally get your fees refunded.

Message 55 of 88
Latest reply

You can close the cancellation in 10 days. Sadly, it's quicker to do an unpaid item dispute. Then if the buyer ignores it, you can close it in 4 days. Maybe eBay might get sick of buyers ringing them to get the strike removed.

Message 56 of 88
Latest reply

Some idiot at ebay banned me from ALL activities for 7 days for giving the buyer the suburb where they can pick the item from, information which is already available from the Item Location in all my listings. I rang ebay up and abused them a bit, they lifted the ban. Then I rang again and abused them a bit, they gave me $50. I will be ringing them and abusing them a bit more.

In my message to the buyer I especially said that they have to buy through ebay first, and the item is located in this suburb. And WHAM!, ebay banned me during the height of Christmas sales, affecting my item search priority and ranking and all that that go with a sanction. It seems like ebay is populated with illiterate idiots. So not all your bans are justified, and if it is not, make sure you pester them for compensation. They said $50 is the maximum they can give, but maybe if you pester them enough...

Message 57 of 88
Latest reply

lol, a cheeky buggar could take a pic of their contact details and attach to messages

Message 58 of 88
Latest reply

Good mornings Kopes, interestingly, I think they've written me off as a chatterbox. I don't receive any of this 'stuff' anymore .... lol.

But, with respect to the response they sent you I think it would have been more appropriate to say, 'I've verified that there is NO basis etc' as opposed to, 'I've verified that there is not ENOUGH basis' which infers there is indeed some basis to their actions, but not enough to proceed. In other words, guilty, but not enough evidence.

You'd  think people in these roles would have much better communication skills, or is is deliberate, do you think?

I've settled with it all now, but like everyone else, find it terribly frustrating. It's churlish at best and very child like, spiteful and unprofessional behaviour I think.

Bad policy is always rewarded with unintended results and consequences and eBay would be naive to think otherwise. But, it's their sandpit. Eventually I fear, it will fill up with enough cat Doo Doos that no one will want to play in it!!

Ah but, don't let it spoil another perfectly wonderful day ๐Ÿ™‚

Melina.

Message 59 of 88
Latest reply

If you are receiving nonsensical messages from eBay Inc., take it up with ACORN immediately and file it as spam and/or malware coming from none other than the online giant. If eBay is allowed to selectively ban sellers from thin air with no proof that an out-of-eBay transaction even occurred, simply by reading messages (even better then, "private" messages apparently have the ability to phone home to the company), then their software - in this case, the website itself and its regional variants - is a time bomb which could very well be illegal in Australia, the United States and just about everywhere else in the world.

Seeing eBay in $#!t on the front page of the papers after being sued by the country of Australia (class action) would make my year.
Message 60 of 88
Latest reply