Selling outside ebay message warning

Hi All, just curious toknow if anyone has received a message from ebay warning about messages sent to sellers about buying outside ebay? I just received one and can not for the life of me find the supposed message I sent to the potential buyer. I dont even thing I had any messages regarding the item I am being warned about...any thoughts? Cheers

Message 1 of 88
Latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

The other day I saw a seller had their contact details in item subtitles - not sure how clever it is in terms of circumventing policy goes; I know subtitles aren't searchable by keyword unless the search includes title and description, so I presume subtitles are crawled by bots just like descriptions are. 

If ebay treated its sellers with enough respect to earn a modicum of loyalty, I mighta been offended on their behalf and even considered reporting those listings. Alas... 

so not guilty

Message 71 of 88
Latest reply

Well Ghost, it appears that eBay itself is the one who has created the atmosphere of 'us and them' and such an unhealthy interactive culture, so why would you?

Bouquets for you Sir ๐Ÿ™‚

Melina.

Message 72 of 88
Latest reply

Errrr .... Sorry DigiGhost, I now know you are a girlie type (like me) ghost!!

No offence meant ๐Ÿ™‚

melina

Message 73 of 88
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

No offence meant ๐Ÿ™‚

None taken ๐Ÿ™‚

Sir is used pretty much interchangably in a lot of places (a bit like "dude"), and is prefereable to many other things Smiley Very Happy (eg dear, hon, love, mate, sweetheart  blech). 

I've always practiced the "sell and let sell" philosophy myself, anyway - unless a listing is breaching serious policies that can do buyers or the site genuine harm, I di'nt see nuffin' th_wink.gif

Message 74 of 88
Latest reply

I am shocking at remembering names. As I refuse to use Americanisms (dude, guy) I use mate, mate.

One word that can carry so many meanings.

Message 75 of 88
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I am shocking at remembering names. As I refuse to use Americanisms (dude, guy) I use mate, mate.

unimpressed

I would rather be called less savoury words that rhyme with things like banker and smother-ducker than that Smiley LOL - cultural thing, maybe. In my circle, the former are terms of endearment; friendly ribbing etc, the latter I generally experience sarcastically, or condescendingly. Or, you know... right after I tell someone I hate it. 

@davewil1964 wrote:

One word that can carry so many meanings.

That's why context matters. 

Message 76 of 88
Latest reply

you must be allowed to have contact details in listings but not messages?

JY Sports New Slazenger WIMBLEDON Tennis 4 Can Balls (1 Box =18Tins = 72 balls)

Message 77 of 88
Latest reply

This listing 173024640857 has the sellers web site address clearly shown in the listing photo.

Why are they allowed to get away with this when others have been penalised for much more innocent transgressions of EBay's policy on providing contact information?

Message 78 of 88
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

This listing 173024640857 has the sellers web site address clearly shown in the listing photo.

Why are they allowed to get away with this when others have been penalised for much more innocent transgressions of EBay's policy on providing contact information?

It's not allowed. That listing just hasn't been reported yet.

image host
Message 79 of 88
Latest reply

.......and the bots can't read sideways thingies maybe  ??         305705_1.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 80 of 88
Latest reply