Warning to Sellers about using Unfranked Stamps

Hi all just thought I would pass this information on. Few weeks ago I received a large letter with $5.00 Stamps on it all were un-franked. Like me I soaked them in water to use later. I used one couple weeks only to receive a Bill from Australia Post. I phoned AP asking why the bill only to be told The stamp was already Franked by some new means and is visible by Ultra Violet Light. Apparently when in the sorting office the machine that sorts them also scans the stamps to make sure there is enough postage and picks up any other errors. I Paid my fine (Bill) and moved on. Never Again Dont Try it $9.80 for $1.00 Not Worth It.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I got a letter from a seller today in a prepaid envelope.

The stamps were 50c and 20c and the prepaid one was 30c

The prepaid one was cancelled in 1989

Their return address was on the back, maybe they got a fine, I don't know

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I contacted Aus Post a while back about people using CTO type stuff, which I assume the envelope is. They said it had to be done the same day.

The thing is CTO has never been "used" and they charge the same if not more. AusPost really stuffed the collecting market up.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

@southaustraliacardshop wrote:

As for reusing stamps, it's never crossed my mind. The only time I have ever soaked stamps off was when we were young and my brother got into stamp collecting. I think if you're that hard done by where you've got to try and reuse a $1 stamp, things are pretty grim. That's without getting into the legalities of it. I wonder if people think reuse is still acceptable if your surgeon decides to reuse a single use instrument? Or if a cafe decided to reuse a bread roll that someone didn't eat?

When you receive a Large letter with 5 x $1.00 stamps that are unfranked, its natural you will try and use them which I Did and now regret it. I am only trying to warn People who sell and buy un-franked Stamps. eBay have 100's listed. I used to buy them ages ago but the prices were getting so high I could buy original with gum at 70% face value.

It's not natural that you'd try and use them. I've had $7 in unfranked stamps on a parcel, but were they really? I still wouldn't do it. It is a good warning for others who think it's OK to do it though and well worth posting here. It's also a good warning for people buying unfranked stamps in bulk on here. I think there have been a few posts about sellers buying them and then getting pinged because they were actually franked. You just couldn't see it.

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

You mean......Image result for smiley shock animated.......doesn't everyone have a black light?    I do

How else am I gunna tell what's uranium glass and what's just green glass?

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

You mean......Image result for smiley shock animated.......doesn't everyone have a black light?    I do

How else am I gunna tell what's uranium glass and what's just green glass?

I have a light and a pen in one that can only be seen when you shine the light on the writing,good.gif

I've checked a few stamps that haven't been cancelled on letters and none show under the light.

From now on I'll check any incoming ones.

It's would be a good idea IMO and it would hopefully catch the ones that are cheating the "system",(it's

illegal to use them so any that are caught deserve to be fined),ok.gif

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

When you receive a Large letter with 5 x $1.00 stamps that are unfranked, its natural you will try and use them which I Did and now regret it. I am only trying to warn People who sell and buy un-franked Stamps. eBay have 100's listed. I used to buy them ages ago but the prices were getting so high I could buy original with gum at 70% face value.

Why? What is natural about reusing things, for free, that have already been used for the one-of purpose?

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Reply for Kopenhagen.. Today I was in my local Woolies meat dept. I wanted to buy a piece of corned beef to cook up. The 2 in the chest fridge had no prices - weight & date tags removed, so I approached the woman stacking new stock & doing markdowns in the meat cases, as to price. She said I couldn't buy as they had no use by date so against the law to sell. They would have to be thrown in the skip!

I said could you please just put a markdown sticker on them? (I really wanted to make corned beef for tonight's dinner) The short answer was no, so into the skip they go! 

This is a store where I shop regularly & I'm familiar with the lady working the meat section. My ex Son-In-Law actually worked there as a butcher, before they cut costs by eliminating butchers from stores a few years ago. 

2 large vaccuum packed bags of corned beef in the skip!  This meat would have fed 10 to 20 people when cooked up & sliced! Add some mashed potatoes; Cabbage & carrots for a nice meal. Such a waste to throw away!

The irony is this store has a big sign saying it supports Food Bank! (I think not!) I went elsewhere & corned beef is simmering as I type.

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Yeah, good old common sense seems to be scarce these days.

Businesses are so afraid of litigation.

Even new ideas from individuals are met with extremely high insurance costs, meaning they don't happen.

Everyone loses out on something that could have been only because of fear of litigation.

I'm involved with a food clearance business, we sell items with short dates or past dates when they are a best before date.

We can sell 'best before' up to 12 months past.

Anything with a 'use by' or 'expiry' we don't sell when the date is finished. But so much of that is fine, all the sliced hams, chicken, all the gourmet cheese. I put a lot of it into the walk in freezers and give it to customers, family and I use it as well.

One of the owners came from Woolworths and people would be horrified at the waste that goes on.

It's improved, but still so much can be done.

Hope the corned beef turned out to be delicious. Do you do anything special with it ?

Last one I did was in a slow cooker with vegies and lots of herbs n spices.

Always great on sandwiches with pickles in the following days.

image host
Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Anything that comes in cryovac I'll use well past the useby date. I used bacon 2 weeks ago that was still cryo'd that expired early August. If I buy bacon from the deli I'll use it until it goes slimey, although most of the time it doesn't get a chance to go that way as I freeze it. It lasts a lot longer in the fridge if it's wrapped in paper rather than plastic.

Corned beef in the sealed bags I've used well after the use by. As long as the bag isn't busting at the seams from trying to blow up it's usually fine. It's filled up and injected with preservatives, of course it's going to last ages!

Deli meats, salami I'll use until it dries out. It's full of preserving things, that's why they can hang them for months on end. Ham I'll use until it goes slimey. Like bacon, it lasts longer stored in paper. A lot of deli meats are preserved.

Milk I'll use 3 days past its use by. The 4th day it will start to curdle when you put it in your cuppa! Milk rarely lasts that long in my house. You can test milk by boiling the kettle, tip some of the boiled water into a cup and tip in a little bit of milk. If it's starting to go off, it curdles.

Mr Tippy used to collect fat and bone scraps from butcher shops and supermarkets. It made him angry at some of the things that would go into his truck. Coles was the worst for it. Full lambs or full cows chucked out because they'd ordered too many. Nothing wrong with them, delivered fresh that morning, but too many so chuck them out. Trays of steak packaged that day chucked out because they were on the wrong size tray. By that I mean, a small bit of steak put onto a large tray. Instead of putting it on a smaller tray, they'd throw it out. Admittedly everything got sent to be made into pet food, but it didn't make it right.

Yes, my post is completely off topic, so to get it back on topic, I still wouldn't soak off stamps from something I've received and try to reuse them. I wouldn't buy bulk stamps from here either. I'm not going to risk a fine for a few bucks. Bugga that! My buyers pay for the postage, so why risk a fine which I then have to pay and lose out on?

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Anything that comes in cryovac I'll use well past the useby date. I used bacon 2 weeks ago that was still cryo'd that expired early August. If I buy bacon from the deli I'll use it until it goes slimey, although most of the time it doesn't get a chance to go that way as I freeze it. It lasts a lot longer in the fridge if it's wrapped in paper rather than plastic.

Corned beef in the sealed bags I've used well after the use by. As long as the bag isn't busting at the seams from trying to blow up it's usually fine. It's filled up and injected with preservatives, of course it's going to last ages!

Deli meats, salami I'll use until it dries out. It's full of preserving things, that's why they can hang them for months on end. Ham I'll use until it goes slimey. Like bacon, it lasts longer stored in paper. A lot of deli meats are preserved.

Milk I'll use 3 days past its use by. The 4th day it will start to curdle when you put it in your cuppa! Milk rarely lasts that long in my house. You can test milk by boiling the kettle, tip some of the boiled water into a cup and tip in a little bit of milk. If it's starting to go off, it curdles.

Mr Tippy used to collect fat and bone scraps from butcher shops and supermarkets. It made him angry at some of the things that would go into his truck. Coles was the worst for it. Full lambs or full cows chucked out because they'd ordered too many. Nothing wrong with them, delivered fresh that morning, but too many so chuck them out. Trays of steak packaged that day chucked out because they were on the wrong size tray. By that I mean, a small bit of steak put onto a large tray. Instead of putting it on a smaller tray, they'd throw it out. Admittedly everything got sent to be made into pet food, but it didn't make it right.

Yes, my post is completely off topic, so to get it back on topic, I still wouldn't soak off stamps from something I've received and try to reuse them. I wouldn't buy bulk stamps from here either. I'm not going to risk a fine for a few bucks. Bugga that! My buyers pay for the postage, so why risk a fine which I then have to pay and lose out on?

I just finished milk with a use by of 6 Sep. Like you, my test is floaties in the tea. Until then it is still good. It helps that I have a cast iron constitution but that is probably due to the fact I have exposed myself to germs and have built an immunity to them.

Which current science, at least on allergies, supports.

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply