Your mismanaged website

I searched Ultimate Dvd which I bought a2 dvds from on EBay. Crimes of the 20th century and UFO Crash Kecksburg The Untold Story. When I went to My Ebay and keyed in Ultimate dvd. These two Dvds were not on the list. I'm convinced now that EBay have no idea what they are doing. They give false, misleading information and they lie to customers. I tried to return a dvd called Mafia which I accidentally ordered 2 copies of and after I realised my mistake less than 2 hours after ordering this dvd, I was unable to cancel one of the orders. Just so EBay can make $5 from me.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Your mismanaged website

If you look you can find many articles about how Ebay works and how to use the site, and you will also find Ebays terms and conditions. They are well worth a read.

Latest reply

Your mismanaged website

You do not buy from eBay, eBay do not sell anything 

Buyers cannot cancel, only the seller can

Sellers do not have to cancel because a buyer makes a mistake or changes their mind

Sellers are charged fees as soon as an item sells (even when the buyer does not pay)

And nobody from eBay reads this forum

Not only eBay who does'nt know what they are doing

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Your mismanaged website

@chahor-94 wrote:
I searched Ultimate Dvd which I bought a2 dvds from on EBay. Crimes of the 20th century and UFO Crash Kecksburg The Untold Story. When I went to My Ebay and keyed in Ultimate dvd. These two Dvds were not on the list. I'm convinced now that EBay have no idea what they are doing. They give false, misleading information and they lie to customers. I tried to return a dvd called Mafia which I accidentally ordered 2 copies of and after I realised my mistake less than 2 hours after ordering this dvd, I was unable to cancel one of the orders. Just so EBay can make $5 from me.

You're not buying from ebay as such. You're buying from different sellers who have used ebay to list their goods.

So I'd say you probably ordered your 2 dvds from different sellers.

Some sellers will cancel a sale, some won't. They don't have to. They pay fees on every sale and from what i can gather, don't get all of it back if they cancel and refund. I'm sure if the sale had been cancelled, you'd be expecting every cent of your money back. Yet you expect the sellers to shoulder some of the charge for something that wasn't their fault. That's why some sellers are reluctant to cancel. That and the fact that you're messing them around and creating extra work. They have to go through the process, cancel and claim some of their fees back, they have lost a sale and perhaps other potential buyers or bidders and may have to wait to relist.

Some sellers are also quick off the mark. Depending on when you pay for something, within 2 hours it may even have been posted.

If the dvd only cost you $5, it is no big deal. Maybe you have a friend who would like a copy?

And as for searches, if you think ebay is bad, you haven't tried Amazon lately, it is the pits, heaps worse.

You also can't cancel on most other online sales sites that I know of. In fact you're lucky if you can even edit or adjust an order.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Your mismanaged website

Sellers just hate buyers who think it is ok to cancel a sale. The poor seller has already been charged fees whether you have paid or not, and then they have to go and relist and pay insertion fees again and lose more time and money. This is a very good way to be added to blocked lists, so that you won't be able to do it to them a second time.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Your mismanaged website

@chahor-94 wrote:

chahor-94, I note that you've only been an eBay member for just over a year, and this is your first post on these boards... so you haven't really managed to get a handle on how either eBay or these boards function.

1. This isn't "our" mismanaged website. You're not contacting eBay by posting on these boards. They are public forums on which any eBay member can post, and the responders are, like you, fellow eBay members (that is, buyers and/or sellers) who give voluntary helpful advice and information. (The standard of help is usually well above the type of cut-and-paste help provided by eBay customer service.)  As you can see by the URL in your browser address field, these boards come under "The eBay Community"... In full, this specific board is a sub-forum or sub-board with this hierarchy: The eBay Community  โ€บ  Discussion Boards  โ€บ  Buying & Selling  โ€บ  Selling.
  2. If you were searching for the DVD set Crimes of the 20th Century, I'm not sure why you would necessarily expect to find that by using the search term "Ultimate DVD'. It was released as part of the Ultimate True Crime Collection, but "ultimate" and "DVD" are by far too general to use as search terms on eBay! For your interest, I searched using the search term "Crimes of the 20th Century" DVD. (Click onto the link (the underlined text) to see the results on eBay.)
    For your second title, I searched using the search term UFO Crash Kecksburg DVD. (Again, click onto the link to see the results on eBay.)
  3. You say that you're convinced that "EBay have no idea what they are doing" and that "They give false, misleading information and they lie to customers." It is not eBay listing the items; it is SELLERS. Various sellers.
    Any seller who lists on eBay decides for him/herself about what to put into the listing title. Smart sellers will put as much relevant information into the title as possible, but it's really not likely that a seller would waste the limited space available in the title field to include "Ultimate" as a search term for these DVDs  - for the reason that I explained above. (The title field is not infinite.)
    If you wish to blame anyone, blame every seller - or perhaps realise that you didn't use the optimal search terms. If you run into problems finding results in your searches, you could post in the boards - perhaps on the Buying board rather than the Selling board - to ask for help from fellow eBay members about what search terms you should be using for a particular item. I've already mentioned how knowledgeable and helpful are the people who post here...
  4. You say you tried to return a DVD called Mafia when you mistakenly purchased two copies rather than one. (What you actually mean is that you tried to cancel; returning is when you have received the item, and you send it back to the seller for a refund if the seller allows "Change of Mind" (aka Buyer's Remorse) returns.) As everyone else here has said, sellers are charged fees the instant that a buyer hits the Buy Now button. If a buyer wants to have the transaction cancelled after hitting the Buy Now button, it's too late to stop those fees from being charged.
    The buyer must then contact the seller and ask if the seller will cancel the sale - but the seller will in that case STILL be charged fees. Yes, some of the fees can be recovered as a credit in the forthcoming invoice (e.g., the eBay "Final Value Fee") but the PayPal transaction fees are not refunded. You put sellers in a difficult situation (costing them time, money and resources) if you try to cancel a transaction after it's already been paid.
  5. You say "Just so EBay can make $5 from me". As has been explained, it's not eBay making $5 from you... If you purchased a $5 DVD and then changed your mind (because you made a mistake), you're not automatically entitled to a refund. Australian consumer legislation protects you if the item ordered is not fit for its purpose - if it's damaged or is never actually sent to you - but it does not entitle consumers to Change of Mind returns/refunds.
    Major stores will often allow change-of-of mind refunds but it's a courtesy, a store policy, not a right by law. Some stores and some sellers will specifically have signs up saying "No refunds unless etc., etc." (where unless etc., etc., stands for something along the lines of "unless the item purchased is faulty").
    eBay in their T&Cs can also not force a seller to allow change-of-mind returns, and so eBay's Help pages do make a distinction between refunds for purchases where the item never arrives or is significantly not as described, as opposed to "I don't want it anymore" or "I found it cheaper elsewhere" or "I hit the Buy button by mistake" or "It doesn't suit me" or any other Buyer's Remorse reason.
  6. Some buyers on eBay, if they make a purchase and then realise that they have made a mistake, will contact the seller of that item with a polite request to cancel, apologisting for their error and offering to pay the seller's reasonable costs in cancelling and relisting. That would be only fair, wouldn't it?
    Bottom line: $5 is a cheap price to pay for your own error, and you'd still have ended up with an extra copy of the DVD which you could give as a Christmas present to a family member or friend - or even try selling it yourself on eBay.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply