didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

raron2
Community Member

didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

fees too high for me otherwise as a small time seller

the fee on postage is particurally annoying, I have no choice but to pass this on to buyers

which I am sure turns some byers off, less sales for ebay as well as me

havent been getting the monthly no final value fee or listing fee either

which was fine until $1 weekends stopped

feels like small time sellers arent important to ebay

Message 1 of 86
Latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

I **bleep**en do have tourette's and if anyone wants to start on me because I have this awful disability then **bleep**en go ahead see if I care hahaha.

But if you think I'm going to whinge about it on these **bleep**en boards then you're mistaken Woman Wink

Message 51 of 86
Latest reply

And tippy hurry up and finish your **bleep**en break and get back to work lol.

Geez I hope I don't get in trouble again lol.

I better put my ebay hat back on oops.

Message 52 of 86
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

And tippy hurry up and finish your **bleep**en break and get back to work lol.

Geez I hope I don't get in trouble again lol.

I better put my ebay hat back on oops.

My break is over. It's very quiet in eBay HQ tonight, so got plenty of time to post here. The big boss isn't here tonight, so, EBAY HATS FOR EVERYONE!!! Except for me.

Geez, once again I'd accidentally mentioned I work for eBay. Slap my face! Probably explains why I'm still getting the weekend promos and no one else is. I love my job!

Message 53 of 86
Latest reply

@mjm7774 wrote:

Because it is often us small sellers listing the desirable high end items and brands that drag people to ebay via google searches! Most of the bulk sellers do not have the really high end stuff buyers came to ebay for in the first place. If they provide us with free listings it is a win win for them with unpaid advertising essentially. I have hundreds of items up and consider myself a small seller. I do not want a shop and am absolutely sick of ebay essentially black mailing us weekend sellers into one. I have a daughter with a disability currently will have 6 + operations in one year, 3 kids, full time work and part time uni study - I do not want to pay a monthly subscription fee when there are just months that I would not even be able to use it effectively. Given the many free platforms sellers now have I don't understand the "inevitable" and accepting attitude so many of you have to insertion fees. Take our FV - that is a win win and happy to pay but I refuse to pay an insertion fee for something I may or may not even sell. 

Firstly, I have to say I agree with you about some of the smaller/ medium range sellers on ebay having some of the more interesting things, things you can't usually find with the bulk listers from China.

Second hand definitely doesn't mean an item is no good.

In the past i have bought heaps of things, including clothes, that were maybe not high end but were good brands and I was very happy with them.

I haven't bothered looking up exactly what items the different posters here have up for sale at the moment as I don't think our individual opinions on them are strictly relevant. Everyone is different. All that matters really is the sell rate.

I also (and I might be in a minority on this, but I don't mind being differentSmiley Happy) don't mind if people explain their circumstances, I think it helps us to get a perspective on what might or might not work for them.

I can understand why you are hesitant to subscribe to a shop, when you're not certain if you could even use it some months.

I don't know that all the regulars here love the ebay fees either but I tend to agree with someone earlier (forget who) who mentioned that ebay has operating costs and they will be going with whatever model they think will generate more income and be more successful.

If you want to look at insertion fees, ebay isn't unusual in charging them. And if you really want to see an American model of it at work, look no further than Costco. It costs something like $65 per annum just to become a 'member', for the right to even enter their stores, yet thousands of people pay it. I guess they pay it as they think that over the year they will save that much or more in purchases, but there are no guarantees, are there?

You'll pay insertion fees in newspapers and quite a lot of other online services. You'll pay fees to set up a stall anywhere.

So I think that what you as a seller need to do is sit down one day when you have a spare hour and go over your sales for the last 12 months. List how much you sold each month. Then deduct your costs-item costs, FVF and so on.

You say you have hundreds of items up, so it doesn't sound as if 40 items a month would work for you. I think you need to look at how many items you have, on average, in any one month.

The bottom line though is your profit each month.

Now factor in what a basic store on ebay would cost you per year. My understanding is the listing fees per item are much cheaper this way. I realise that some months, you might not get much use out of a store. But for instance, if you had had a store over the last 12 months, work out your overall costs/profits to see if it would have been worth it, even given the fact some months were lean.

I know paying for a shop would cut into profits, but only you can work out if it would still work out enough in your favour to consider it as an option.

I don't think listing fees are going to go away any time soon. They have been around on ebay in one form or another since forever, so totally free listings are probably not going to be introduced across the board any time soon.

If a shop would not work for you, profit wise, when you look at it over a long term view of eg a year, then the only way i can see you operating is by limiting your listings to 40 a month and testing out some other, free, selling platforms.

Message 54 of 86
Latest reply

@mjm7774 wrote:

Did you read her sales before posting this. A shop subscription would suck anything she made. Why should she put in the effort to list with nearly no return and it all go into ebays pocket - where is the win win in that 😞

@mjm7774,

Perhaps you may want to re-read my reply to the OP. I suggested that a store may be the way to go, but that another possibility was to have more than one account, which would offer thje OP additional free listings.

I have the sense that you are feeling pugnacious and simply want to hit out at the posters here because of how frustrated you feel with the weekend promotion/deal no longer being offered. Neither you nor I are in the OP's confidence re her profit and loss; that's the OP's private information. What we can do is offer the OP different options or ideas to consider, and hopefully the OP can work out a strategy for selling that fits in sufficiently well. At any rate, that is for the OP to decide, and having more (and relevant) information can only assist the OP, even if the information is not palatable.

Re your own sales, s/h clothes are a tough field in which to survive! I am not the ideal person to weigh in here, as I don't buy second-hand clothes, nor do I buy clothes online as a rule (unless I know the line and know which size in that brand/line fit well and look good on me). I'm horribly particular about clothes and would rather buy two or three superb outfits than twenty not-so-superb ones. I have been known to spend a wretched day looking for the right clothing, and I don't really enjoy shopping for clothes due to my very strong ideas of what look suits my personality, appearance, and personal style.

Again, I'm not the best person to praise the brands that you sell, as they're not brands I consider high-end. (They're not bad brands, but they are not, for instance, Sacha Drake or Leina Broughton (elegant good quality mid-range), still less Chanel or Yves Saint Laurent (definitely high-end).) I have no doubt that there is a market for the brands that you sell. This may sound critical although it's intended to be constructive... in that there are many sellers selling s/h garments in those brands. E.g., "Country Road" in women's clothing = 19,241 results. It is a saturated market.

For sellers who list a large number of items but have a poor sell-through rate, if your margins are also low and if other factors also make your overall profit unable to incorporate $25-odd per month, that is a concern. Of course an eBay store may not be for you, and your selling strategy may involve other ways around the 40 free listings limit (such as having multiple accounts), but with the changes eBay is making, you may want to put the eBay store idea into an "I'm considering that" basket rather than automatically rejecting it.

For the record, I'm not an eBay employee, never have been, never will be. I'm not a seller on eBay, simply a buyer. I keep myself informed about eBay policies and changes on eBay by reading update news and thoroughly searching eBay's help pages on a wide array of topics, to the point that eBay keeps asking me to "Take 2 minutes to share feedback on your recent eBay online support experience". Your accusations towards responders on these boards where you try to paint them in eBay colours (i.e., you state or imply that they are eBay employees, acting on eBay's behalf) are baseless; not only that, it is a too-often-regurgitated complaint so frequently used by newcomers to these boards (when regular posters disagree with their posts) that it's become something of a tedious joke. I'm explaining this as background to the replies you would get to such accusations.

To clarify, eBay members who know eBay policies and know eBay actions towards members who flout policies don't know these things by being updated via their FBI-style earpiece through which they're receiving communications from eBay headquarters, but rather, they know these things through experience on eBay (as either buyers or sellers or both), through reading every Seller Update or eBay Health Check (ludicrously named) or notification from eBay, through having read the policies pertinent to their activity as an eBay member buying or selling or both (regularly - because the policies are not static; I have seen a policy change almost in front of my eyes more than once), through having tried every communication method in resolving problems with eBay CS reps, and through taking on board other buyers' or sellers' experiences.

To further illuminate one particular point, it is easy for any of us as eBay members to claim "experience on eBay". We can claim it through having been an eBay member for x number of years; buyers can claim experience as a buyer through having bought x number of items; sellers can claim experience as sellers through having sold x number of items. But - like the old joke about “Do you have twenty years of experience or one year of experience repeated twenty times?”, experience is not always/only about those years or numbers. Some people have trouble breaking out of patterns of behaviour that aren't optimal, or changing behaviour that was suited to situations that have long since changed. What the majority of regular posters on these boards have is genuine experience that has enabled them to adapt to eBay's changing ways, and their experience and adaptation will have included at least some of the following:

• changing their product line
  • changing their supplier/source
  • changing their method of handling return requests
  • changing their pricing structure
  • changing their handling times
  • changing their own policies for handling difficult buyers
  • changing their expectations with regard to feedback
  • observing and gauging their seller metrics to meet eBay's expectations
  • subscribing or not subscribing to an eBay store
  • having additional eBay accounts as appropriate

Before you come out fighting with the usual "You don't support my outrage so you must be an eBay employee", or automatically discount any advice given by a board regular, or post knee-jerk replies to eBay members disagreeing with their posts simply for the sake of disagreeing, in my view you would do better to assess posts for the substance of what is said, to consider whether the content can be of use to you, even if you don't like the tone.

Genuine experience is worth its weight in gold. You could not pay for the wealth of experience that the regular responders here offer.

If, after careful consideration, the advice given just cannot work for you, then say so, and better still, say why. At least that way you'll maintain an open dialogue.

A point in question: you say "Ebay is essentially trying to back small sellers into a corner again to take on stores." Did you realise that most people on this thread agree? It's simply that they acknowledge that, even though eBay may be trying to push more sellers into opening a store, that may actually be a pragmatic and acceptable choice for some sellers who don't currently have a store. If you can strategise your selling in such a way that you don't need a store, fine; there is at least one seller who is a long-time poster on these boards who manages very well as a non-store seller. But that seller does not have a selling strategy that relies on "$1 weekends" - very wisely, because a selling strategy that depends on an at-whim special deal rather than upon the actual contract with its terms & conditions is not a sustainable selling strategy.

Another point: quite a few regular posters on these boards give "tough love" replies. I'd still (speaking personally) rather have constructive advice that is genuine and accurate irrespective of tone or style, than sweet sympathy that doesn't offer an experience-based, policy-based answer or set of points to consider. If I were ever (God help me) to become an eBay seller, I'd be picking these members' brains until there was NOTHING left to extract.

Additional point: confirmation bias being what it is, it's entirely possible that you'll read into this post some sort of eBay obeisance, and that you'll continue to disagree with the posts of the regular posters on these boards. There is nothing that I can do about that, since confirmation bias functions from one's own search for and interpretation/processing/evaluation of information - not someone else's presentation of information. (Most human beings - I'm hesitant about saying "all" although I suspect it to be the case - will have confirmation bias on issues important to them, and even on issues where one has no vested interest. The strength of that confirmation bias appears to be related to the degree of importance of the issue to the individual concerned.)

Message 55 of 86
Latest reply

@mjm7774 wrote:

Because it is often us small sellers listing the desirable high end items and brands that drag people to ebay via google searches! Most of the bulk sellers do not have the really high end stuff buyers came to ebay for in the first place.

If a seller regularly has " desirable high end " and exclusive " brands " that really do attract people to ebay, assuming they are priced realisticly, they WILL be very succesful at selling on the site and unquestionably should be able to afford $24.95 per month for a store. ( unless the reason for not wanting a store is because they are running a good business, but do not want to attract the attention of the ATO )

Spoiler
Expecting ANOTHER freebie, where everyone else pays for their obligations !!!

If they provide us with free listings it is a win win for them with unpaid advertising essentially. I have hundreds of items up and consider myself a small seller. I do not want a shop

See spoiler from last comment. If a seller regularly has hundreds of desirable high end brands and designer items, it is almost certain they are running a business and are not in fact a small seller, regardless of what they think. Purchasing these items with the specific intention of listing them on ebay to sell. This type of seller should be paying for an ebay store, whether they like paying for services they use or not and should be reporting to the ATO.

and am absolutely sick of ebay essentially black mailing us weekend sellers into one. I have a daughter with a disability currently will have 6 + operations in one year, 3 kids, full time work and part time uni study - I do not want to pay a monthly subscription fee when there are just months that I would not even be able to use it effectively.

An ebay store can be extremely useful in this type of situation...... No seriously .... it can. ...........

If a person is absolutely flat out struggling to keep up with medical apointments, family dissability issues, other children and a full time job, constantly searching for free listings, re-listing unsold items etc. can be stressful and time consuming. Much better to pay $24.95 per month and set and forget with your listings. They stay up 24/7/365 days per year and all you have to do then is answer questions and pack the sold items. AND the extra income generated can be VERY helpful......How do I know ????

Because your desription of your personal circumstances describes my personal situation to a tee except that my circumstances are MORE intense and demanding than those you have described. And no, I,m not going to give you the full rundown. 

The point is, I have a 5 day handling period, so that I have plenty of flexability as to when I pack....I can go a whole week without being in breech of ebays handling protocols. I often list and answer questions in the late evenings when others have gone to bed and the money I make from ebay is a considerable help financially. The store packages work so well for me I am paying for three of them each month.

Given the many free platforms sellers now have I don't understand the "inevitable" and accepting attitude so many of you have to insertion fees. Take our FV - that is a win win and happy to pay but I refuse to pay an insertion fee for something I may or may not even sell. 

So who does pay then ??? It costs money for ebay to list and show YOUR items even when they dont sell. Should ebay shareholders pay ??? Should I pay to list YOUR items ????  Some-one has to pay........

Message 56 of 86
Latest reply

Countess.... You win.......

I get accused ( probably correctly ) of writing war and peace at times, but that must have taken ages.......Man Very Happy

Message 57 of 86
Latest reply

Chameleon, it's this terrible condition of mine... sesquipedalianism. It is agony for me when I'm to write something with a strict word limit.

girl-blush-blush.gif

Message 58 of 86
Latest reply

but . . . was there a historical reference?

Message 59 of 86
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Chameleon, it's this terrible condition of mine... sesquipedalianism. It is agony for me when I'm to write something with a strict word limit.

girl-blush-blush.gif

Now you are just showing off. I reckon my vocabulary is not bad for an uneducated, remote farmer but sesquipedalianism   ?????....... Cmon !!!

Spoiler
Well actually I checked and yes it is a word and used correctly, so Smiley Tongue to you miss smarty pants .....

Spoiler
I bet you where the pretty girl with pig tales and glasses who sat at the front of the class with your hand up everytime the teacher answered a question
Spoiler
And yes I was the bored, naughty lad who slouched in his seat at the back of the class, passing notes and drawing pictures of hot rod cars in his English book..........Man Very Happy
Message 60 of 86
Latest reply