eBay - Behind The Times....

A lot of buyers will make multiple purchases from me and as such require combined post. I am not into offering free shipping for the most part on point of principle.

This week 2 buyers have made multiple purchases and then been sent combined invoices. When they have gone to their phones to pay they get a message from ebay saying they must use the website to pay. 

They are unable to pay on a phone. In both instances the buyers have messaged to say they dont really use a computer ( a lot of my customers are young mums who are phone crazy often) and as such are unable to pay for the items. Credit Card and EFT are both offered but in both cases I lose sales and eBay therefore loses fees due to absolute incompetence in regards to their system. In the year 2015 I find this quite unbelievable!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: eBay - Behind The Times....

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The only way around this problem that I can see,

is not combine, but remove postage from 2nd and so on items

and then they can pay individually for each item

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Yes and then I incur multiple paypal fees so I wont be doing that on point of principle!

They can pay by EFT or credit card and I can message them the amount.

None the less it's crazy that in 2015 with an ap the size they have and the size of the user base, that the user is forced to use a computer to pay for a purchase made on a mobile device.  In what way is the convenient for the customer?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Just as sellers using the app (not being able to combine purchases for buyers) your buyers can simply navigate to the desktop version of eBay on their smart phones to pay combined purchases. 

PS that neutral feedback you received recently I am fairly sure you can get it removed by called an eBay CS - finding an item cheaper elsewhere is not your problem ... 

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I probably can get it removed that buyer had a pop at several people over her negligence in failing to seek out the best deal and of course I am ore expensive than BigW!  I honestly couldn't care about 1 neutral it makes no difference and I dont have to speak to their drones but thanks for the advice.  The fact of the matter is I am getting messaged by buyers asking how to pay as eBay is making it hard. I pay store fees so eBay makes this process seamless. I am not their IT support!

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Over time, I've been updating my listings with advice on how to checkout multiple items to get combined postage discounts (using a mobile device), I also have it in the extra information in the P&P tab, plus it gets sent out on all invoices.....aaaand I include the info in my reply to anyone who asks about combined postage, on the off-chance it helps. 

Chipping away at the block one speck of dust at a time. Smiley LOL

But yes, it's ridiculous and the above shouldn't be necessary - eBay cannot expect to be able to name themselves a "premier" shopping destination (as they're so fond of doing) if they make it difficult to purchase from the site itself, but very easy to purchase from other, more user-friendly sites via third party advertising. They pat themselves on the back for their "improvements" re: home page, collections etc, and do so little in the way of ensuring standard, necessary site functions actually do function.

It's maddening - I state that separate payments = separate packages in my TOS, but when someone buys five items and I can post all together for the same price as one, there's just no sense in insisting on posting them separately, and I've not had one person (if I do send a query) come back and say "no, I really want each item in its own padded bag." Not to mention continual refunds for excess postage puts my PP account at risk of being flagged / restricted. >_<

They really just need to to get rid of the "Buy It Now" button and only have "add to cart" (for fixed price listings), as well as ensure the cart functions properly (preferably without loading the cart when you click "add to cart", like every other half-decently-thought out commerce site). 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Ive got into the habit of letting buyers know as well and I can do a bulk update on my listing template for what its worth as few will bother to read it. its easier and lazier to message the seller.  None the less it sucks.

Also they wouldnt remove that neutral I had a spare half an hour so I did call. The reasoning - The buyer does not show a pattern of leaving neutrals.  They refused to answer my "answer yes or no" question as to whether it is reasonable for a buyer to discriminate against a seller as she has now discovered that she has made an incorrect purchase choice.  Still whatever..!

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

If your buyer on phone makes multiple purchases from you, they are better off putting it in cart first then pay, the cart on app has been there since last update, but then again app users have been making purchases one at a time for so long they are most likley use to doing it that way.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

I dont understand why they cant pay on their phones.

On my Android, I just go to the full Ebay website and use that - the mobile site sucks and I dont bother with apps.

Go to the mobile site and at the bottom of the page click "classic site", and youre there.

Unless you cant do that on an iphone. In which case tell them serves them right for falling for great marketing and purchasing poor technology 😉 Just kidding, dont tell them that.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Your comment about multiple PayPal fees....... if the buyer had an invoice of $100, or 4 x $25 invoices, wouldn't the PayPal fees be the same in the end?  Just wondering if there's a difference.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply