eBay buyer says jacket is wrong size but it was accurately listed

I listed a new Jacket and described the size as US 8 translating to AU 10 to 12. I provided the measurements and suggested it was closer to a 10.

The jacket sold and the buyer sent me a message:
"this jacket is not size 10-12 or is it US8 I am size 10-12. how disappointing please return my money"

I responded that I was sorry she was unhappy - could she please check measurements and confirm they align with listing.

She responded: 'my size is between 10-12 au, my arms don't fit into this jacket so it tells me it is not the size that was listed please accept my return.'

So, I'm also a 10 - 12 and it fitted me fine so I'm confident it was listed correctly.

I have bought things that didn't fit and just usually resell in eBay.

I'm assuming I'd better refund as a gesture of goodwill. Do I have to refund the original shipping given it seems more of a mistake in her part?

The listing is here: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/151549632530?_mwBanner=1

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: eBay buyer says jacket is wrong size but it was accurately listed

DO NOT refund a thing till you have the item back in the condition it was sent.

But if you let them go the dispute option you should win as the measurements are there and they should have measured them self to be sure it would fit prior to purchase.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Good luck with that though. We have been known to refer to it as 'fat **bleep**' syndrome. They don't bother with the measurements and just go with the size they think they are or think they should be!

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I just read your listing, and your description is very accurate in my eyes.

I once sold a kids second hand Esprit Jacket size 4.    Very angry buyer said it was too small and it was not genuine Esprit!    I refunded her money and postage ..... she returned it.   I then took it into the local Esprit shop .... yes, it was genuine, and measured perfectly with another size 4 jacket.

Now the happy ending to my story .... I re-listed the jacket, and got $10 more than the price she paid ..... karma, EH?

I recommend you just refund and get her out of your hair.

Good luck .... I hope you get a good result 🙂

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you - I am tempted not to refund. Do I just suggest that we let ebay decide? I am worried about my rating as I've worked really hard to stay at 100%
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

And if I do play nice, I think I should say I'm doing it as a nice gesture as the listing was accurate and she'll a) need to return with tracked postage b) return in as new condition and c) pay shipping both ways. Does this sound fair?
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I have exactly the same thing happened just now, except she said the dress is too big.  She was asking a bigger size before if the dress doesn't stretch but I sent the size she initially asked because the dress is a stretch dress.  Now she said it's too big.  I really wonder if eBay takes it seriously that we have sent the size the buyers asked and provided accurate measurements but the buyer can still say they can't fit - too big or too small....

I guess we are in the gutter at the end...

Good luck btw, hope for the best

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

if you take your chances with ebay deciding you could well lose the item and your money. My opinion is you are best off just asking the buyer to return your item, once you receive it refund the buyer and then resell item.
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you - I am tempted not to refund. Do I just suggest that we let ebay decide? I am worried about my rating as I've worked really hard to stay at 100%

Has the buyer just emailed you direct at this stage? I doubt they would be content with refund on item cost only and not on postage costs to and return, assuming that from their 'attitude' in their email to you.

If they open an ebay case.. if you refund, without ebay intervention, you will still get a defect.

If you don't refund, ebay steps in and finds in your (seller) favour, the defect would be removed.

If ebay doesn't find in your favour you get a defect and a case with seller didn't resolve noted (you can only have a limited number of those before they restrict accounts etc).

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Agree with am.

I wish we had more case history how these types of return requests pan out.  Technically the return should come under "Item doesn't fit" which is not a reason for buyer to be able seek refund on postage costs etc (it's equivalent to buyer changed mind).

HOWEVER who knows how ebay will see it.  Asking ebay to step in is a big risk if they find for the buyer (which they seem to be inclined to do?).  Too many "cases resolved without seller resolution" and you can have your selling account restricted, or worse shut down.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply