inspecting an item before buying

chezzy
Community Member

Had someone ask about pick up, understandable because they are local. I assumed they would buy the item via ebay and then we would work out the details. It seems they now want to inspect item and if they like it they will then buy it. I am sure this sort of thing happens, I just don't have much experience with this sort of request.

Do I leave item listed, allow person to inspect item and then expect them to log on to ebay and hit "buy it now"? I don't even know whether they would have a device with them allowing them to do this...seems clumsy?? And what happens if someone else happens to hit buy it now when first person has made arrangements to inspect/pick up?

I certainly don't want to become 'open house' for inspections or be mucked around, or muck anyone around

thanks

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: inspecting an item before buying

Have messaged the person saying that the listing will remain active and that I will be obligated to sell it to whoever hits the buy-it-now first.

-----------------------------

I think that makes sense. This person hasn't committed to buy, so you make no special concessions for them. Let them inspect and be prepared for the fact they may not buy there and then, might go home to bid.

It is not your concern if another buyer has bid in the meantime, that is a risk the potential buyer takes.

As someone else said, perhaps they will try to negotiate on price. That is where you just reply that you will be letting the auction run its course and the price is firm at the moment.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Have messaged the person saying that the listing will remain active and that I will be obligated to sell it to whoever hits the buy-it-now first.

As someone else said, perhaps they will try to negotiate on price. That is where you just reply that you will be letting the auction run its course and the price is firm at the moment.

Except that in the example I have been giving it is actually for buy-it-now items, no auction involved. The items are listed at a price I need to get for them, fees or not I have very little room to move. Postage/shipping works in with my lifestyle and limited facilities. I am just a casual seller, pick up is likely to be the exception and not the rule.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think that makes sense. This person hasn't committed to buy, so you make no special concessions for them. Let them inspect and be prepared for the fact they may not buy there and then, might go home to bid.

It is not your concern if another buyer has bid in the meantime, that is a risk the potential buyer takes.

But if they buy on the spot with cash and you close the listing, you are saving the FVF and the cost of paying that on your postage too. Isn't that much better?

It is worse when someone buys and then pays with paypal and asks to pick up. You are then up for FVF, paypal fees, and don't get the chance to recoup any of that through postal costs which is more important now with the additional fees on postage. Worse if the item is a 99c item.....

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

All worked out ok, buy it now, then pick up. When I issued the invoice I put zero for postage, so I will only get charged fvf on what the buyer paid

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

Chezzy I have sold a few pick up only items over the years and I won't let anyone come without buying the item first, I am happy to cancel the transaction if they don't want the item when they see it but I want as much detail as possible before I let a stranger come to my home.

BTW can I have a little whinge? When buyers come to collect and pay for their goods why don't they bring the correct amount?

If someone wants 80 cents change out of $100 well just give me the exact money or say I can keep the change. Sheesh 80 cents.

Whinge finished. LOL

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@i-once-was-bump wrote:

BTW can I have a little whinge? When buyers come to collect and pay for their goods why don't they bring the correct amount?

If someone wants 80 cents change out of $100 well just give me the exact money or say I can keep the change. Sheesh 80 cents.

Whinge finished. LOL

I had the opposite happen a few weeks ago when I dropped an item off to a local buyer. She wouldn't let me give her change! I took change just in case she didn't have the right money, but refused point blank to take it. I'd previously delivered an item for her before and she called it petrol money.....even though I drove about a km each way!

I do understand what you're saying though, it would be a pain in the butt.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

eBay says it is a violation to give out contact details, so how can you inspect before bidding and winning if the seller is not allowed to give out contact details and, you the bidder is not allowed to ask for contact details.  Way I see it you have to buy sight unseen.  Stupid.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

But it was not a violation three years ago when this thread was active.

It has only become a problem in the last few weeks.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

As already stated by many - LOCK THREADS AFTER 12 MONTHS.

People unfirtunately end up with incorrect information but the "Brains Trust"dont care.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Many of the regular posters have been asking to have old threads locked for years.   So far it has fallen on deaf ears.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply