managed payments and eBay returns flawed - sellers be warned

cft207
Community Member

Just a heads up for sellers in regard to flaws with eBay current managed payments and returns processing.

First time I have ever experienced this issue after MANY years.

$460 new item sold Sunday 8th August 2021.
Buyer paid same day
Courier despatch con note generated and uploaded to eBay on 8th, with parcel picked up by couriers on 9th.

NSW to NSW delivery , to a more remote coastal area. Sending from lockdown area and to a lockdown area however I note couriers are all still working as usual, with carriers stating covid delays on website, as do Aus. Post.

Buyer opened eBay not received case 21st August.
I left multiple messages with all links to courier tracking number - which showed the progressive scans of item still in transit. According to online tracking the item was never lost or missing.

Item was onboard for delivery 26th August, which is the same day eBay refunded buyer all $460 in total and closed the case !

Speaking with eBay I am told the "system" automatically closed the case, but before that the eBay rep on phone IMMEDIATELY, and without looking , said "PayPal have closed that case in favour of buyer so it is out of our hands"

PayPal had nothing to do with the case as it was all via managed payments. I told them this, they checked and then agreed that was the case.

So then seller/s are off on the time wasting journey of opening appeals, support chats and further phone calls,  and then IF successful I'm told a further 48 hours before receiving moneys back....which is right where I am now.

The flawed "system" doesn't seem to verify anything in regard to tracking numbers and/or sellers messages.

Along the way the buyer never replied to approx 5 messages sent.

This NEVER happened when processing via Paypal given they had a more thorough process of confirmation.

eBay wants to manage everything ....labels, payments, refunds etc....BUT THEY CAN'T DO IT PROPERLY.

So, sellers please be diligent, although at this stage I don't know if there's any work around for me.

I am considering if and when moneys sent back to managed payment account it could very well be near 1 month from time I sold the item and sent it, to when the the payment will actually be in my bank account......some "management"

Also a  bit rough considering current covid delays that they don't even bother to check their own item sold page tracking numbers before making refunds to like this. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: managed payments and eBay returns flawed - sellers be warned

Have no idea why your INR was settled in buyers favour.   But as stated, it has nothing to do with managed payments.

The  INR  policy  is separate to managed payments and applies to all transactions, even where the seller is not on managed payments.

Just wondering if the buyer actually lodged the INR with paypal,  Under managed payments in that scenario ebay would deal with paypal on your behalf, as you are not party to the paypal transaction.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@cft207 - if this doesn't get resolved back in your favour, you can write to the buyer and tell them that now that they have the item, you are requiring that payment be made, failing which you will explore other options, such as small claims court, or debt collection.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

That’s a really good question.  As sellers, there is nothing that identifies how a buyer actually paid if you’re with Managed Payments.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Just came across this which may help if you lodge an appeal. It’s Seller protection regarding delivery delays in NSW and other areas

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/Updated-Government-restrictions-across-Australia...

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Thank you.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I'd be throwing their own policy at them!

Offering eBay Guaranteed Delivery | eBay

(at the top of the page):

To give eBay sellers and carriers more time to safely fulfil and deliver orders, we have temporarily disabled eBay Guaranteed Delivery.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/seller-protections

contact eBay and tell them you want to appeal this dispute and did EVERYTHING as per their policy for seller protection.  Their policy states that you are protected and they will wear the cost of the disputed amount.

* EBay Manages your payments

* Item was sent within your handling time

* Delivery delays were outside of your control

The fact eBay stated PayPal closed the dispute and is out of their hands is total bs.  With PayPal disputes there is a 20 day period from when the dispute is raised before any action is taken by PayPal in order to resolve any disputes and as eBay are handling the dispute because of Managed payments it is their problem to fix.

I would use the “Have us call you” option rather than chat (see the link below)

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments-faqs

Let us know how you go!

Protection for sellers whose payments are managed by eBay

When eBay is managing payments for sellers who have been activated, eBay will provide additional protections in the case of a payment dispute. If there is abusive buying activity present, eBay will protect sellers whose payments are being managed by eBay in the following circumstances:

• When a buyer reports that they haven't received their item

• When a buyer reports that an item doesn't match the listing description

• When a buyer reports that they don't recognise the transaction

If a buyer files a payment dispute and the transaction is eligible for protection, we'll cover the amount of the dispute, and waive the fee.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Hello, thanks for the concise information.

I have had the moneys returned to me , but only AFTER multiple chats with support, phone calls and various transfers.

The item sold near same time of other items with similar item values which has made this a real pain to reference given the amounts managed payments drew from the original amount to cover other sales, fees, that they also drew from linked bank account to cover the refund, and then the managed payments to my linked account of similar, but not same, amounts.

Just a complete waste of time, and a deterrent to posting items for sale in fear this could happen again.
Having said that I am now prepared to face very similar issue. On alternate selling account I have  a new account hold on near $600 of single payment for item being couriered to remote destination. Hold will be in effect until item delivered. If all the same rules apply then it is very likely I'll be going down the same path given normal delivery time let alone if delays due to current circumstances.

It seems that the most streamlined and efficient process that eBay cares to allocate time to is the initial billing of members.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply