paypal hacked what do i do

I have been recieving spam emails all day, so decided to cahnge my email, thought i could bulk change it on ebay, but still on the old one.just signed into Paypal and some one has bought something for $250 , I only had 40 in there. i have been so fustrated , bank accounts haven;t been hacked.

what do i do , I have heard other people being hacked, but is the last thing on my mind. pam.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: paypal hacked what do i do

saarzi
Community Member
Paypal itself hasnt been hacked (mainly because its almost impossible, and also because itd be on the news). This means someone has stolen your password from YOU. I.e. theyve gotten your password from you, not paypal.

The most common ways this happens -
1. Someone you know looking over your shoulder as you type it in, or guessing it.
2. A virus or key logger on your computer that watching what you type, hence knows your password.
3. A very dodgy sys admin - they have access to whatever computer youre using paypal on (especially if its a work computer)
4. Or youve accidentally not logged out while on a computer others use.

What you have to do -

1. Run three or four virus checkers. If you have one thats switched on on your computer all the time, I cannot stress enough, THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. Run a full scan with whatever software you have, then run a few more - you can get them online for free - try Microtrend housecall (online scan), AND adaware (download) for starters.
The reason for doing this is that virus checkers all check for different types of things in different ways. Its not humanly possible for one virus checker to check everything that exists, or even half of it.

2. . Change ALL your passwords. That is, paypal, ebay, all emails, any online banking, facebook... everything.

3. Run multiple scans with different software as above regularly. Dont even open an email unless you know who its from - just opening, without clicking on any links - is enough to download a trojan.

As for getting the money back -

If the purchase was made on Ebay, Id call Paypal first and register a non authorised payment. Then call Ebay and let them know too - they may cancel the item for you. Id also email the seller and tell them whats happening - that your paypal was used for an unauthorised purchase and Ebay and Paypal are now involved.
You may ALSO have to call your bank and let them know if Paypal refuses to help... im not sure of the process... but it will be something along those lines.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ring paypal immediately to notify them then change your passwords.  Run all your security scans and then change your passwords again.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member
Ohh.. you may also be able to get the IP address of the dodgy transaction from Paypal.
Get it, and run a search (I can tell you in pm how to do that if you like). It wont tell you who did it exactly (thats a myth), but it will tell you their general location, and possibly give you acess to THEIR computer... if you held a grudge... of course id never recommend that because it can be illegal.. but generally someone who steals.money from you isnt going to tell on you otherwise they will get into trouble lol
๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

What do you mean by this?

thought i could bulk change it on ebay,

Photobucket
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

i have made a new gmail email , and wanted to change it for paypal payments. as it came through gmail.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

raffta1
Community Member

Just a queston, is the payment of sold showing in your actul paypal account (under the funda in and out part), or are you just getting an email notification of purchase using paypal?

The reason I ask as I had thought someone had hacked my account a while ago. I kept getting the email notification from paypal that I have made an ebay purchase and costing xxxx amount.

If its the email one will have your name in the Hello xxxxx, it not its a fake.  And this "purchase" will notshow in your paypal account (do notclick any links in that email). You will be fine.

If its showing in your paypal statement then thats awhole different kettle of fish. But please call paypal asap, they will confirm and makesure your account is secure.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Hi no emails, after 100's of spam i checked my paypal, and then i found some had bought something I had not bought, i didn't have enough money, so was pending. Rang pay pal thanks to those who told me too, and answered straight away, so they said they would get in contact with the outfit and not to send, so password changed and hoping for my money back, for the end of the month fees.
if you get an email, delete its a scam.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

, home computer, only hubby looking over my shoulder to help and keep me calm, paypal was great, rang my westnet, which has been sold to someone else, ring back in an hour, 1 1/2 later then Rang onto line, 10 mins, hung up, not what they used to be, they had a big outage this morning somewhere, but not here.
did a free advast scan. nothing except I changed some passwords.
No I don't open any spam.
think I will have to pay for a proper virus protector, but not norton.
any hints. i have over 4,000 spam at the moment, but don't know if its my computer or email. with all this going on, is it safe to click onto your bank accounts and change passwords. Hubby won't have a bar of online banking.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I can't process the thought of getting over 4,000 spam emails.    Doesn't you ISP monitor them and delete them before you get them?

I would say I get no more than 2-3 a day into my spam folder and even then some of them are legit and I have just forgotten to add the email addresses to my mail list.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply