Customs

I want to purchase a pet food item from seller in the US (It's dirt cheap and so is the postage) I did buy the same item around 2 years ago or more, from another seller and it was confiscated by Customs. Do you think this purchase could be a risk of ending up same way? Im still very tempted to buy it.
Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Customs

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

$110,000, that would buy an awful lot of Ratsak rodent food from the local pet shop. Not to mention supporting the local economy.

Thanks for the link Tazz. I might take advantage of it. I'm guessing others will too. We know Michelle's name. We know what area she lives and she's now revealed what she has purchased. Good luck trying to ID me from this account. I may as well be the lurker I was for so long 😄

I'm a pretty lenient person, but when it comes to the destruction of our eco system for the sake of a few rats, makes my blood boil. Especially an eco system that is even more vulnerable than the mainland.

It's not just the risk to the eco system...as big as that issue is.

For such a selfish pet owner wanting to save a few dollars, perhaps she has not considered that in the last few years there has been a raft of pet food scandals in the US (and some concerning very well known brands) where pets have died as a result of eating their dodgy food. 

How can anyone be so sure that this food is safe, especially if it may contain ingredients that may be banned or don't meet pet food safety requirements in Oz?  Is it sold in sealed packaging with all the ingredients listed?  Too many unknowns to take the risk.

Message 31 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
I want to purchase a pet food item from seller in the US (It's dirt cheap and so is the postage) I did buy the same item around 2 years ago or more, from another seller and it was confiscated by Customs. Do you think this purchase could be a risk of ending up same way? Im still very tempted to buy it.

I find this a very strange post.

First up, if an item you bought 2 years back was confiscated by customs, then of course a new purchase of the same item "could risk ending up the same way."

How could anyone here say it wouldn't, unless of course customs regulations have changed.

The only one who knows exactly what the item is-brand name, quantity, manufacturers, ingredients etc is you, so the logical thing would be to ring customs up and check with them if you are in any doubt. They can give you a definite answer, ebay isn't the best place.

I get a sense your question though is more along the lines of-I know this item is prohibited, what are the odds of me getting it through?

Again, no one here can really answer. It may or may not get through.

If it gets through, you have the item at a 'good' price. If it doesn't. you lose all your money plus you may face problems with customs.

There's a reason customs have some items as prohibited, so if it's banned, just don't buy it. Simple.

It won't wreck your pet's life to eat Australian pet food. It's not like we're talking some life saving medicine or whatever.

Message 32 of 57
Latest reply

The seller shipped the item so I will wait and see if it gets through the customs. And its pet treats. Little rice pops carrot flavoured.

I don't believe you just did that. OMG.

Michelle, it's not about whether it gets through, it's about acting in a responsible manner.

YOU are the reason we need customs.

Don't you see, if everyone followed the rules we wouldn't need authorities checking up on things.

Instead, those rice pops could carry pests and diseases detrimental to local flora and fauna.

image host
Message 33 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

Oh Tippy toes you must be a Greenie I love your aspirations. Tassie is precious. Cheers..

I am not a greenie, I've chopped lots of trees down. I am someone who cares about our flora and fauna. I like that our native animals have places to live and feel safe. One import of a diseased product would wipe everything out. Your rats could eat the bad stuff, they die, you throw them in the bin, they go to the tip and the disease is out there. You could single handedly destroy Tasmania. It is illegal to send plant material there, yet you are importing all this rubbish from overseas. I hope you're happy with yourself and can sleep at night.

Message 34 of 57
Latest reply

Now seeing just about everybody is saying I need an import licence for the food wouldnt then the seller have to have an Export licence. It works both ways you know. I am going to have to call Ebay and ask. Also if I do get myself an import licence(which I enquired about)I was told the seller then has to have my permit number on the parcel when they send, now come on people this is getting absurd and I'm mighty hot under the collar about it.
Message 35 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Now seeing just about everybody is saying I need an import licence for the food

And just about everybody is correct.

wouldnt then the seller have to have an Export licence. It works both ways you know.

Of course they wouldn't, do you seriously believe a seller is going to find out every country's import restrictions - it's up to the IMPORTER to know their own country's restrictions.

I am going to have to call Ebay and ask.
And I'm sure a CS rep in the Phillipines is going to be able to answer that correctly.

Also if I do get myself an import licence(which I enquired about)I was told the seller then has to have my permit number on the parcel when they send,
How else would customs and Quarantine know that you are legally importing the foodstuff.

now come on people this is getting absurd and I'm mighty hot under the collar about it.
No comment..............................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 36 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Now seeing just about everybody is saying I need an import licence for the food wouldnt then the seller have to have an Export licence. It works both ways you know. I am going to have to call Ebay and ask. Also if I do get myself an import licence(which I enquired about)I was told the seller then has to have my permit number on the parcel when they send, now come on people this is getting absurd and I'm mighty hot under the collar about it.

michelle, do not call eBay.  You should call Customs, they will give you the information you need.

We’ve been through this before, you even thanked me for finding the number for you . . . . 

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Bought-item-then-seller-cancelled-order/m-p/2093479#M83133

. . . . . but just in case you can’t click that link, here it is again:

AA7F1C69-5FE5-4240-9F25-4890822E1B92.jpeg

Monday – Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm (except public holidays)

Message 37 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

it appears that you may have already called Customs.  No point calling eBay, just do as they told you and have the seller include your permit number on the parcel if you bother to get one.  If you don’t want to get one just make up any old number and ask the seller to put that number on the parcel.  I’m sure that will work (hehehehehehe).

The seller would be subject to the export regulations of their country and you are subject to the import regulations for Australia.  What is so hard to understand about that?

If you are getting hot under the collar and think that having to ask sellers to do that is absurd, then the solution is very simple . . . . . STOP BUYING ANIMAL FOOD FROM OVERSEAS SELLERS. 

Message 38 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

HERE GOES TEN MINUTES OF MY LIFE I WILL NEVER GET BACK !!!

Michelle, you are right. The whole thing is becoming absurd !!!  ( maybe you are just winding us all up.....Smiley Wink    )

It really is very simple. Untreated grains and pet food meal can very easily carry fugi and plant diseases into Australia from the countries that you buy your pet food from.

Not trying to hassle, but do you understand this bit ?

What can happen is these fugi and diseases may not occur in Australia. Your pet food could introduce this disease into Australia.

Are you following me so far ?

If you introduce these diseases into Australia, it can cause many millions of dollars damage to Australian farmers and their crops. They could even loose ALL of their exports to another country which may also not have the disease.

Can you understand this bit ?

That is why customs will do its best to confiscate your pet food.

Are you still following me ???

So, your little bag of pet food, could cause many millions of dollars  ( yes real money )  of damage to other people. Please dont try to get around customs. Just be sensible and buy your pet treats from Australian sellers.

Message 39 of 57
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

I'm sure there have been countless people throughout history who were similarly hot under the collar when the government of the day introduced laws that required them to have a license for things they've always done without one (eg driving). Lots of people dipping nibs in ink wells to write angry letters to newspapers, or whatever version of eBay was around at the time...

It tends to happen when people like to have all the benefits of something, without taking any responsibility for the danger, or damage to the world around them.

It doesn't even matter when 99% of the population participate in whatever activity it is safely and with careful consideration, because it's the dangerous / damaging behaviour of the 1% that "ruins" it.

I, for one, am extremely pleased that someone out there is taking steps to make people importing such things, have an understanding of the responsibility that goes along with a privilege. 

Message 40 of 57
Latest reply