Feeling ripped off slightly!

I purchased an item, when it arrived put it aside and opened a few days later only to discover it was not the item ordered but rather someone elses goods. So as you do contacted the seller. The seller gave me a barcode to print out that did not work (Australia post did not recognise it) so in order to return the item I had to pay 26 odd dollars. We tracked the parcel in case there were any issues. I sent a copy of the receipt and no response. Finally I again contacted them giving them 24 hours to provide a resolution. After threatening to take the matter further I finally recieved a reply that the item would be coming although I am yet to have details provided to me.

In the mean time the item is now 79.99 instead of 99 so did at least recieve 19 dollars refund. However no refund for the postage.This is a major department store who are usually fantastic to buy off but the ebay part of it is a nightmare. If I do not recieve my item I will be taking it further including complaints to the company and Consumer Affairs. But I hope it does not come to that.

Question is should I expect to see my postage money? or let it go as a loss?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

what is the item number?
Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

I'll probably need to remove that as its a link, sorry couldn't work out the item number.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Any reason you not use the Money Back Guarantee provided by eBay so that the seller would be required to pay for return postage?

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

I don't know what you mean. I didn't take out a paypal dispute because I wanted to give them the opportunity to rectify. They gave me a barcode that did not work. As I live rural I had no option but to pay for the postage, it would cost me more to go backwards and forwards. In hindsight I should have insisted they come and collect the parcel. I also wanted it resolved quickly because someone else was waiting for their item.
Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Sorry to clarify the postage was supposed to be free so there was no reason to take it further at the time. But if I don't receive my item then I will be def following through with a paypal dispute.
Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

@bella_again wrote:
I don't know what you mean. I didn't take out a paypal dispute because I wanted to give them the opportunity to rectify. They gave me a barcode that did not work. As I live rural I had no option but to pay for the postage, it would cost me more to go backwards and forwards. In hindsight I should have insisted they come and collect the parcel. I also wanted it resolved quickly because someone else was waiting for their item.

I meant the eBay Money Back Guarantee clearly shown on the listing that you purchased.

Get the item you ordered or your money back...with the seller paying return postage.

You live rural?

I'm seven hours west of Sydney & it's very easy to return an item.

If you have tracking showing delivery of the item back to the seller then you should be able to open an eBay case for Item Not As Described.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Thanks for that. I've just recieved an email to say the item is on its way so I will see what happens from there. I'm not sure I have a case to get the funds back for postage now. But at least the item appears to be on the way and lesson learnt. 

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

You have to follow the return process exactly.  It would seem the seller provided return post, which for whatever reason, you chose not to use.   The seller would then receive a random parcel and in all likelyhood have no idea what transaction it relates to, especially as the returned item was apparently not meant for you in the first place.

The ebay return process is relatively simple if followed correctly

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply