Feeling ripped off slightly!

I purchased an item, when it arrived put it aside and opened a few days later only to discover it was not the item ordered but rather someone elses goods. So as you do contacted the seller. The seller gave me a barcode to print out that did not work (Australia post did not recognise it) so in order to return the item I had to pay 26 odd dollars. We tracked the parcel in case there were any issues. I sent a copy of the receipt and no response. Finally I again contacted them giving them 24 hours to provide a resolution. After threatening to take the matter further I finally recieved a reply that the item would be coming although I am yet to have details provided to me.

In the mean time the item is now 79.99 instead of 99 so did at least recieve 19 dollars refund. However no refund for the postage.This is a major department store who are usually fantastic to buy off but the ebay part of it is a nightmare. If I do not recieve my item I will be taking it further including complaints to the company and Consumer Affairs. But I hope it does not come to that.

Question is should I expect to see my postage money? or let it go as a loss?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I did use it though, Australia post did not recognise their code. It was either I pay for it or not recieve my item. I provided a tracking number for the seller and maintained communication with their code tapped to the box

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Just to clarify further i printed out the return postage as asked to by the seller, tapped it to the box, that did not work. It's not my fault Australia post did not recognise the return code.

How did I not follow their procedure exactly when I did what was asked of me?

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

So yeah I'm confused if I did exactly what the seller asked of me there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't know it wasn't the item in question. The code THEY gave me was on the box I have photos and a tracking number on top of that as extra protection that they also have a copy of.
Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

This might be a stupid question, but was it definitely an Australia Post postage label? And if so, what did it look like?

Re: the postage costs, the seller is supposed to be liable for return postage costs, but at the same time they had no obligation whatsoever to refund you for a price drop after you bought, so while the refund was technically for something else, it could still be argued you're currently out $7, not $26. 

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

Now I am confused too,  did you use the ebay return process, or deal direct with the seller.

@bella_again wrote:
So yeah I'm confused if I did exactly what the seller asked of me there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't know it wasn't the item in question. The code THEY gave me was on the box I have photos and a tracking number on top of that as extra protection that they also have a copy of.

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

It was the label provided to me by the seller who one of the major stores in Australia. It had a return address on and a barcode

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

I just added a photo. But its the return slip with barcode that I was asked to print out and stick to the box then take to Post Office.
Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

I contacted the seller who is a major retailer through the ebay messaging system. I was always under the impression that you always try to resolve things with the seller before taking out a dispute. Anyway as I said earlier they have notified me now of my parcel being sent. Next time I won't send it unless their label works.
Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

@bella_again wrote:

It was the label provided to me by the seller who one of the major stores in Australia. It had a return address on and a barcode

Ok yeah - that's not a postage label, just a document to include in the package so they can identify where the parcel came from and why when they get it back.

I'd just send them through a receipt of the postage costs and ask how you'll be reimbursed, see what they say.

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

Hmmmm they told me it was. Yes I've sent a receipt they are side tracking that. But they have refunded a little because the price of the item changed as above so I might have to cut my loses and learn from this mistake. Funny thing is I did double check with them and they were adamant thats all I needed.

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply