I suspect I and several other people have been scammed!

Story goes like this.

There was a seller on eBay who was selling things at too good to be true prices. 8gb macbook RAM, Car Radios, MS Office etc for only $24 each, well in that range. I bought two of his RAM kits for $24.99 and payed straight away. About two days after I payed, he got banned off eBay for an unspecified reason. He had around 130 feedbacks and only 2 negs which seemed legitmate. As I was saying, he got banned and now there is no way to contact him. I tried doing a dispute, but all I got was "We're sorry there's a problem with your purchase. Unfortunately, this item isn't in a category safeguarded by eBay Buyer Protection. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller." Because of this, I suspect the ban was staged so buyers cannot send a dispute or get their money back.  He somehow exploited PayPal's system to prevent a dispute being sent towards him. This has probably affected several other people too has his stuff was selling like hotcakes! I think I've lost $50 from this scammer! What do I do? This was only a week ago.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: I suspect I and several other people have been scammed!

They sold a lot of low priced items and then the scam items so they could be the scammer.

But then you always have the possibility that it was a hijacked account,(in which case a law suit wont work).

These scams wont stop until members/people stop buying when they realize that if it looks to good to be true

then it is too good to be true.

Those gullible members/people are the reason scammers keep listing.

One of the worst aspects with these scams is that a high pecentage would have thought it was to good to be

true but they bought the items anyway,(because they thought they were covered by PP).

If these scams become more prolific it will raise the PP fees which will impact everyone,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 21 of 40
Latest reply

@send_me_it wrote:

I'll admit it is pretty smart, but the amount of people that bought his items is in the thousands.. I smell a class action lawsuit happening.

Sounds like something straight out of America "ooooohhhh, someone looked at me, I'd better sue them".

Class action lawsuit? You're kidding right?

Message 22 of 40
Latest reply

Paypal - 45 days to claim refund - end of story

Best advice - read up on buying protocol so you won't be hurt again.

Many people come here and say a buyer has scammed them, a seller has scammed them, but in reality, no one can be scammed if they follow the guidelines and protocol put in place for protection on both sides.

The only way to be scammed - is to LET it happen.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/sitemap.html

Read up on everything you need to know to keep yourself safe.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 23 of 40
Latest reply

if youve only lost $50 cop it on the chin and learn from the experience, still file the complaint with paypal and let it run its course, hopefully you will be refunded,  just think how you'd be feeling if it was 500 you lost ?, if paypal or ebay find out this is a scam they will do their best to find and have the person charged with fraud , they dont want this garbage infiltrating their networks as anybody wouldnt

good luck

Message 24 of 40
Latest reply

@ozzie*2013 wrote:

if paypal or ebay find out this is a scam they will do their best to find and have the person charged with fraud , they dont want this garbage infiltrating their networks as anybody wouldnt

good luck

Do you really believe what you have written there?

Boy, do you have a lot to learn about ebay and paypal.

Message 25 of 40
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 26 of 40
Latest reply

So it looked too good to be true and was listed in what was obviously the wrong catagory so instead of reporting the listing you bought two of them.

Nothin much else to say except to agree with those who say you don't get scammed if you use your noodle.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 27 of 40
Latest reply

Gee, I wonder what crawled up your neck. Insulting me isn't helping the situation.

Message 28 of 40
Latest reply

You're missing the whole point. Many people not just me bought his items. He could've racked up cash in the thousands.
Message 29 of 40
Latest reply

How did I insult you? Is it because I couldn't understand how someone professes that something looks too good to be true, then goes ahead and buys it any way? Everyone else bought it, so it must be OK?

Is it because I neat peed myself when you mentioned a class action? I'm still cracking up over that!

Message 30 of 40
Latest reply