I suspect I and several other people have been scammed!

Story goes like this.

There was a seller on eBay who was selling things at too good to be true prices. 8gb macbook RAM, Car Radios, MS Office etc for only $24 each, well in that range. I bought two of his RAM kits for $24.99 and payed straight away. About two days after I payed, he got banned off eBay for an unspecified reason. He had around 130 feedbacks and only 2 negs which seemed legitmate. As I was saying, he got banned and now there is no way to contact him. I tried doing a dispute, but all I got was "We're sorry there's a problem with your purchase. Unfortunately, this item isn't in a category safeguarded by eBay Buyer Protection. You can try to work out this problem by contacting the seller." Because of this, I suspect the ban was staged so buyers cannot send a dispute or get their money back.  He somehow exploited PayPal's system to prevent a dispute being sent towards him. This has probably affected several other people too has his stuff was selling like hotcakes! I think I've lost $50 from this scammer! What do I do? This was only a week ago.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Sure seemed like an insult. Probably because it is..
Message 31 of 40
Latest reply

I hate to say it guys but ebay will be in deep shizen if they dont do something quickly as I have seen so many auctions right now that are "too cheap to be true" and there is a ton of buyers on all these auctions.

this is way bigger then you even realize.

Message 32 of 40
Latest reply

Heck, I hope they do something about it too. These poor people getting scammed out of their money. Even if it's a small amount, It's still very cruel. I've learnt my lesson. Next time I will check the catagory of the item first before I buy. I'll be giving PayPal a call today so I can hopefully get my cash back!

Message 33 of 40
Latest reply

@amlagonda wrote:

I hate to say it guys but ebay will be in deep shizen if they dont do something quickly as I have seen so many auctions right now that are "too cheap to be true" and there is a ton of buyers on all these auctions.

this is way bigger then you even realize.

If people followed the golden rule of "if it looks/seems too good to be true, then it probably is", then they wouldn't be getting stung by scammers. The reality is, too many people think it won't happen to them, or, other people have bought it so it must be OK.

IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, DON'T BUY IT. Simple. The scammers rely on the gullible, that's why they keep operating. They know there is a sucker born every minute and take advantage of it. Look at the feedback for this seller for a prime example 151474329934 

I no longer have sympathy for people who get scammed.

Message 34 of 40
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:
IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, DON'T BUY IT. Simple. The scammers rely on the gullible, that's why they keep operating. They know there is a sucker born every minute and take advantage of it. Look at the feedback for this seller for a prime example 151474329934 

I no longer have sympathy for people who get scammed.

Looks like a dodgy backyard part-time car/boat dealer to me.

Message 35 of 40
Latest reply

Your guide is perfect! I just gave PayPal a call then, and the lady made a claim. If the scamming b-tard doesn't respond within 10 days, she's going to take the money he scammed off me and transfer it back to my card. Thanks so much! You're a real help! You should spread this guide to the other people who got scammed by this seller or sellers like this!

Message 36 of 40
Latest reply

Glad to learn it's worked out and you'll get your funds back.

As for spreading the word, all someone need do is come to the boards and ask for some advice as there's plenty of fine people here willing to help others out. 

That said, all they really have to do is to read eBay's & Paypals terms & conditions to apprise themselves of their rights & obligations. Not a bad idea since you can be pretty sure that scammers like the one you came across have read those t&c's in order to find loopholes they can use in their scams.

Message 37 of 40
Latest reply

OP I very much suggest you read the following post, just in case the scammer hasn't yet finished scamming you...

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Warning-fellow-ebay-members-on-Kincrome-tool-suppliers-direct...

cheers

Message 38 of 40
Latest reply

good sensible advice.  There are a lot of people who are not clever and therefore vunerable through no fault of there own being taken advantage of.

Message 39 of 40
Latest reply

That was a huge contribution to warrant dragging up a 13 month old thread. I doubt modestbods requires any validation after this long.

Message 40 of 40
Latest reply