Seller has just brushed me off

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Seller has just brushed me off

You wouldn't like me, then.

When AP changed their parcel system last year, they edited all my 500g satchels to medium. I wasn't going to edit them all and they only get edited when I need to change something in a listing, so a lot are still showing that. I do charge flat rate postage, though, which is aligned to how I actually post the items.

Message 31 of 93
Latest reply

If people don't read my listings to notice that postage is combined / discounted at checkout, then they're going to get what they paid for.

In some cases, 20 or more items sent separately.    Letter rate.

One particular buyer hasn't noticed the amount of postage she's paying.

She just can't be told, or bothered, apparently.

And after all, I've already paid fees and you can't fix stupid.

Message 32 of 93
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

You wouldn't like me, then.

When AP changed their parcel system last year, they edited all my 500g satchels to medium. I wasn't going to edit them all and they only get edited when I need to change something in a listing, so a lot are still showing that. I do charge flat rate postage, though, which is aligned to how I actually post the items.

I like you, Dave - you don't ever need to fear that these feelings will change  Smiley Very Happy

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 33 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

I've always taken the (admittedly unpopular) view that if a seller is happy to accept two separately charged postage fees for two separately purchased items, then the buyer has the right to expect two separately packed and sent packages. That is, after all, what the buyer has paid for.

Most people understand that the point of combining is to consolidate items to minimise costs for both the buyer and seller. If a seller wants to be pedantic enough to rely on specific definitions of words so they can save themselves some expense without compensating the buyer who is funding it, I'm fully supportive of the buyer applying the same degree of pedantism and insisting they receive their items as per the specific services paid for.

I'm going to have to disagree with you slightly on this one - sometimes the point of combining is pure convenience, and it doesn't always result in reduced costs.

The obvious example is with letter rate items, where one can go for $2.20 but two needs a parcel. In that kind of case the buyer is better off with two separate post costs and two packages, of course. This used to happen frequently back when I sold clothing, but what I would do instead is give the buyer a token discount (like literally 50c) to meet that expectation and just send in one parcel (this was when all my listings were auctions, and they did well enough for it not to really matter that the buyer paid $4 for postage and I paid $6). 

It has, however, been frequent advice on the boards over the years that if a seller refuses to provide a discount on the original postage total, despite it being very clear they can all fit in a 500g satchel or whatever, is to pay for them separately and have each one go to a different address, so that might be an option for those who are so inclined.

Message 34 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

Hi again tulip*place, I'd just like to revise what I wrote to you in reply below.

@4channel wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply tulip*place. So this seller charged you an extra $11.50 for post. That's a bit of a bum deal!

In all fairness, the seller should refund you $11.50 + a percentage of the $ 29.00 + the return cost + the cost for the inferior / misgraded / damaged item.

I'd say you could be and should be entitled to a refund of the following amount if you decided to

Keep item

* $11.50 that you were overcharged on postage.

* A partial refund of an agreed amount on the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

Return item

* $11.50 that you were overcharged on postage.

* A refund of an amount which  the difference between the $29 postage cost and what the postage would have been for the one item. Perhaps the cost for you to send item back to seller could be subtracted from the $29 to give you that amount (IE: $5.00)

* A full refund on return cost of the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

* A refund of what the incorrectly graded item cost you.

When I was a seller I made it my personal policy to never overcharge on postage and the packing and the materials to pack with were my responsibility. I didn't have a PayPal account back then and payments were made via bank deposit, money order or cash well-hidden. With a few buyers I actually refunded on the amount  change due that was less than the dollar note value by sending some postage stamps to them to use. From memory, a couple I sent coins as change.

* NOTE: Before returning item you should advise seller of what they have to refund you.

Some sellers find cunning ways of gouging extra money from buyers by employing a number of tactics. I've seen most of them! It may not be the case here and your seller may not be capable of doing a proper postage amount for multiple items etc.. The main thing is that you shouldn't have to pay for their incompetency with your walllet if this was the case.

Message 35 of 93
Latest reply

If the seller agrees to a refund through eBay, the seller will pay the return cost and the cost, for the ONE item, that was paid.

Nothing for the 'excess' postage, which, as has been explained, is not just the sticker price, but the consequent costs, in FVF, packaging, time.

As a buyer, you obviously have no idea of what costs are involved in posting goods, nor the costs that eBay and Paypal impose. What you are doing is setting tulip up for conflict and possible even less satisfactory outcomes.

What you think is right and what can be forced (remembering that we a talking about some marks, not flaws) are generally disparate, and they certainly are in this instance.

Message 36 of 93
Latest reply

Highlighted

Community Member

in reply to 4channel

If the seller agrees to a refund through eBay, the seller will pay the return cost and the cost, for the ONE item, that was paid.

Nothing for the 'excess' postage, which, as has been explained, is not just the sticker price, but the consequent costs, in FVF, packaging, time.

As a buyer, you obviously have no idea of what costs are involved in posting goods, nor the costs that eBay and Paypal impose. What you are doing is setting tulip up for conflict and possible even less satisfactory outcomes.

What you think is right and what can be forced (remembering that we a talking about some marks, not flaws) are generally disparate, and they certainly are in this instance.

First of all davewill1964, the buyer was overcharged by $11.50. And when I was a seller, my ebay and other costs were worked into my asking price. Plus I was resourceful, I would go looking for packing material and was able to find cheap stuff, even free stuff which many sellers do. Plus helping the environment in a fashion by re-using whatever could be re-used.

According to the OP, the item was mis-graded. I'm hopeful that the OP  isn't being overly fussy though.

Message 37 of 93
Latest reply

I'd just like to add too that I could write a book about the dishonest, pathetic, careless overly optimistic, incorrect grading that I have come across in buying items. The worst being the filthy insect feces ridden book I got early this year (or was it late last year?). The seller deliberately was slow in replying and I lost track of things as you do. PayPal had to step in and as a gesture, refund me out of their purse instead of taking the money from the feces sending seller. I just discovered within the last couple of months that I still haven't been refunded.

In saying this, certain categories of rare items do attract overly optimistic grading at the very least as some sellers believe they deserve to be graded higher than the actual grade. This happens with obscure items. I will admit that us buyers need to do research through their feedback incl. positive feedback to look for clues of mis-grading

Message 38 of 93
Latest reply

Colour me thick...

How can a buyer be overcharged if they paid the cost of shipping displayed on the listing?

I have never even glanced at the "cost" on a package when it arrived.

The item arrives as described at the price/shipping I was happy to pay...works for me.

Message 39 of 93
Latest reply

Dave is right.

If the OP takes any notice of 4channel it will end in tears.  

Message 40 of 93
Latest reply