eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

The seller sent a used item which had been falsely described as "New". The seller accepted my return. The seller could not send a return postage label. The seller asked for a copy of the return postage receipt in order to refund the return postage. eBay instructed me to return the item by tracked postage. I followed eBay's instructions, and paid for the reurn postage. The seller has receved the item, and refunded GBP15.00 to my Paypal Account. There is no other refund amounts.

The eBay "Return Request" page has removed some information, an now simply states that "This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal." That is a lie, and by following eBay's instructions,  I am considerably out of pocket for the balance of the original cost PLUS the entire return shipping cost. Contacting eBay by phone I was unable to resolve the issue. One operator passed me to another who has now passed me to a third.

Seems the moral of the story with eBay is that if the item is not as described, TOUGH LUCK!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The only person who has falsely asserted that the GBP15 Refund was for the return postage is lyndal1838, who I assume is an ill-informed employee of eBay, despite the denials.
The seller is obviously a crook, and has just informed me that he will not be refunding the full amount of the original postage, nor reimbursing me for the return postage.

It was not a GBP15.00 refund....it was a PAYMENT from the seller and I assumed it was for the return postage because the REFUND was for the full $25.77 of the item cost plus original postage.

Could it be that the seller is not going to refund anything more because he has already refunded the original transaction and paid an amount for the return postage?

Further to my previous post..

lyndal1838

You are persistently claiming that there was a REFUND for GBP25.77. There CERTAINLY WAS NOT. Repeating ad nauseum because you are determined that your false assertions dominate the thread; the only mention of a refund of GBP25.77 is the false claim by eBay on the "Return Request" page. The only refund is for the amount of GBP15.

Message 41 of 68
Latest reply

@ajf160959 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:
The first screenshot in your OP showed the PAYMENT from the seller of GBP15.00 for the return postage.  It was removed by a Moderator for privacy reasons.

There was certainly no such screenshot. There is no page in existence that shows a "PAYMENT from the seller of GBP15.00 for the return postage" - not on Paypal, not on eBay, not on my Credit Card. There could not possibly be such a screenshot. The only person who has falsely asserted that the GBP15 Refund was for the return postage is lyndal1838, who I assume is an ill-informed employee of eBay, despite the denials.
The seller is obviously a crook, and has just informed me that he will not be refunding the full amount of the original postage, nor reimbursing me for the return postage.

Message 42 of 68
Latest reply

I am neither ill informed nor an employee of ebay as you have already been told.

Not sure that the seller is a crook either....there is nothing to indicate that is the case....only that he has already fulfilled his obligations with regard to refunds and payments of the return postage.

Message 43 of 68
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The only person who has falsely asserted that the GBP15 Refund was for the return postage is lyndal1838, who I assume is an ill-informed employee of eBay, despite the denials.

It was not a GBP15.00 refund....it was a PAYMENT from the seller and I assumed it was for the return postage because the REFUND was for the full $25.77 of the item cost plus original postage.

Could it be that the seller is not going to refund anything more because he has already refunded the original transaction and paid an amount for the return postage?

lyndal1838

You are determined that your fasle assertions dominate the thread. To correct you ad nauseum, firstly, the GBP15 is a REFUND. The word "REFUND" is the word used by Paypal for the amount of GBP15. Secondly, there is no REFUND for the amount of GBP25.77, nor is there a PAYMENT for the amount of GBP25.77. There is no transaction at all for this amount. There is only one transaction relating to the purchase and that is a REFUND of GBP15. The only mention of a refund of GBP25.77 is the false statement by ebay on the "Return Request" page  which says ""This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal."

Message 44 of 68
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I am neither ill informed nor an employee of ebay as you have already been told.

Not sure that the seller is a crook either....there is nothing to indicate that is the case....only that he has already fulfilled his obligations with regard to refunds and payments of the return postage.

lyndal1838

You're very persitent in projecting your false assertions and sadly my messgaes of reply are being deleted. Several hours ago, the seller informed me that he would not be issuing a refund for the full amount of the original postage, and that he would not be issuing a refund or reimbursement of the return postage. if you have contradictory information, I would be glad to hear it. He has not fulfilled his obligations. He claims that he has received top ratings on all of his accounts, but this is hard to verify because he doesn't name all of his accounts.

Message 45 of 68
Latest reply

I only have the information that you have posted here.   According to your screenshots you have been issued with a refund for the full amount of the item cost plus original postage...GBP25.77 and have received a GBP15.00 payment, presumably for the return postage.

If you have not received both these amounts you obviously need help finding where they are.

Unless you are prepared to answer the questions that have been asked there is not much help that anyone can give you.

If the seller has been reading this thread I am not surprised that he will not disclose all his account IDs but you can be pretty sure he has you on all his blocked bidders lists.

Message 46 of 68
Latest reply

Thats very useful and intelligent kopenhagen5.

That's right, it is, IF you learn from it. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 47 of 68
Latest reply

@ajf160959 wrote:

"Whoever answers" passed me on to someone else who then passed me on to someone else. I didn't ask to speak to a supervisor. Each time I was passed on, I was told that the next operator has exprience in the matter. Not surprisingly, each new operator was not aware of the previous operator's statements, and was as unhelpful as the previous.

If I kept the item that was falsely described as "New", I would have paid GBP25.77 and at least have something. As it currently stands, I am out of pocket AUD$75 and have nothing at all. What a pathetic system where you follow instructions from eBay and you end up losing big time.

It's sickening how eBay can falsely state that the seller refunded a certain amount when they are aware that the seller did not. Then they advise that the return shipping cannot be reimbursed. eBay might as well instruct you to through your money down the toilet. You'd probably have second thoughts in that case.

I have to say, I have taken a lesson from this and other posts like it and would be very wary about using ebay for overseas purchases of any weight or big value these days. so many headaches.

I won't pretend to know all the intricacies of getting a refund, especially on an overseas purchase, but it seems to me that if an item was not as described (and getting a used item instead of a new one certainly fits that description), then you should not have to be out of pocket for $75 for postage.

Even if the others are right and you have been given your full GBP 25 initial costs  back, I would have thought you should also get your return postage costs covered.  Especially as the seller agreed to a return.

My understanding is that that is ebay policy too.

My question would be-what sort of return was this? If you asked the seller for a return, based on the fact it was not a new item, and he agreed, did he do it as a buyer request type of return?

Again, I am no expert but if he did, I think you have been cheated as with a return because of buyer change of mind, the seller doesn't have to refund the return postage.

If you did put in an official not as described case with ebay and the seller accepted that, I can't understand why ebay won't make the seller pay for return postage. $75 is an awful lot of money to be out of pocket.

Sometimes i think ebay isn't the best online shopping site for some things, it really isn't.

Message 48 of 68
Latest reply

If the seller has been reading this thread I am not surprised that he will not disclose all his account IDs but you can be pretty sure he has you on all his blocked bidders lists.

Not just their lists!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 49 of 68
Latest reply

Ebay may not be the best place to buy some things, it's also not always the best place for some people to buy. 

Message 50 of 68
Latest reply