Tipping in Australia

THE push to introduce America's gratuity system could tip fed-up Aussie pub patrons over the edge.

While hospitality staff say it's time to embrace tipping for better service, critics have come out swinging.

Traditionally, patrons in New York City include a 20 per cent tip for everything from housekeeping to buying a beer.

A 15 per cent tip is considered the norm across the US.

Sandy Hill Road director Matt Mullins, a Melbourne hotelier, said the tipping trend could lift service standards.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-un...

Do you want it introduced here for mandatory tipping?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Tipping in Australia

If tipping comes in then their wages need to go down.

Message 41 of 56
Latest reply

@crystal**flake wrote:

If tipping comes in then their wages need to go down.

whose wages?

The entire industry's?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 42 of 56
Latest reply

Well, tips are only really given to help out the service staff, they on such little money, it doesn't make sense to do it here when they are on such decent money compare to America that is.

Message 43 of 56
Latest reply

how do Australian hospitality wages compare to other Australian wages now though? Keep in mind that an increasing number of GSA's have industry specific tertiary qualifications these days. lots also have other qualifications and responsibilities such as RSA's Tafe Qualifications...

Message 44 of 56
Latest reply

We are just back from the USA and yes, they are taxed on the tips they are expected to make (good grief!) - as was explained to us by our waitress late on night when we asked about how their tipping works... poor thing said it can be a nightmare at tax time as they were always seen as trying to dodge paying taxes, even when they didn't actually get the money.

The expected level there is around 15% - some (very few) places added this in already as a "service charge" - and they were not the sort of places you might expect to do it either ( think a small town chinese for example)

Their wage levels are so low that they really need the tips to make it worthwhile, and it is quite normal for everyone to just add the tip in, unlike here where it is generally a reflection of the level of service given.

Here our wages are high enough that tips are more like the cream on top, and I don't think our hospitality workers have an expected level of tip income that they are taxed on before they get it!

Message 45 of 56
Latest reply

I only ever tip if I believe the service I received is worth it, no matter what country I'm in.

It has got me into strife a fee times in the USA when I haven't tipped, but unless they make it an arrestable offense there if yu don't tip I'll just carry on as I've always done, go by my own feelings.

Message 46 of 56
Latest reply

NO. I think it wonderful to be able to tip when you truly feel your service was good.

Conversely, I certainly wouldn't like to tip someone that still needs to learn a thing or two.

image host
Message 47 of 56
Latest reply

So, if a person thinks that they've just had the best meal ever, why don't they tip the chefs? Why do they just tip the waiters for their service when they think that was good?

There are so many people that help to make the waiter look good. If the glasses, cutlery or linen were dirty, the restaurant unclean or poorly maintained or the food was awful or wine list inappropriate, would all of these factors affect the dining experience no matter how totally awesome the waiter was?

Message 48 of 56
Latest reply

So, if a person thinks that they've just had the best meal ever, why don't they tip the chefs? Why do they just tip the waiters for their service when they think that was good?

i reckon its because the waiters dont get paid as much as the chefs or the owner of the place, my*

btw, why did you change your name to my*mum?

Signatures suck.
Message 49 of 56
Latest reply

well, elizabeth's mum was already taken.

Message 50 of 56
Latest reply