Australia Post non corporate branch???? Horrid service

I live in chatswood NSW which has recently amalgamated 2 POs into one, the new one has no parking closeby, located in the rail interchange.  so having recently sold a 5kg item boxe din a wine box that wouldn't fit in the post box I went to a nearby suburb post office on my way home from some errands as there was closeby parking.  I also took in with me a couple of airmail letters to buy stamps for and post.

I have used this post office several times and apart from finding the staff a little stand-offish, service has been mostly satisfactory*.  I purchase my australian stamps fully gummed from a n internet contact, they're not reused they fully gummed and legal tender.  so while posting my overseas letters that I had to purchase over the counter stamps I also passed my heavy box accross the counter.  had witten how much stamps I'd put on the box (which of course they wanted to check) and had also cubed it writing the measurments on the box to make life easy if they again wanted to check it.  then I asked if I could have a complimentary article id stamp - not a $2.95 or whatever sign for one but one that is written on aust. post webside for any parcel you send within australia.   customer service have reconfirmed in the past that any GPO should be able to give one.  *this post office before has not scanned a 3kg satchel or given me a receipt for the satchl scan at the time of lodging as they say they scan them all together at the end of the day to save paper for their till!! 

anyway the staff member went and had hushed words with the manager who came out and said you want a tracking no. you buy one, not for free!!! you don't buy stamps here you don't get my staff to work ...do you give things away for free?  I was shocked!! I said the aust post website says its part of the parcel service...he replied go to chatswood its the corporate office.  I said I'm not a business what is corporate...He was filthy nasty.  I wasn't using illegal stamps, I wasn't asking for a favour... I was also buying international stamps but he owns the post office shop and said he wants to make money - basically wanted me to &(*&(  off.   He took my 5kg parcel since it wouldn't fit in the post box but wouldn't give me an article id...(which I had to live with as I had no intention of lugging it to chatswood).  This wasn't part of a newagency ...surely they're a rep of australia post ...?  article ids are unless recently removed part of APs parcel service.  How can you have a private surburban post office - that don't do what a large AP corp say - what has happened?!!!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

phone Aust Post Customer Service and ask to talk to a rep. about the LPO  (Licenced Post Office) you visited.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

thanks putney, I thought about it but if its HIS branch, I'm only going to make it difficult if I ever want to use the store again?

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

@lotsamagsnbags wrote:

thanks putney, I thought about it but if its HIS branch, I'm only going to make it difficult if I ever want to use the store again?

If it is an LPO he has to give all the AP services....full stop,

If you make a complaint AP will not tell the owner who made it.....even if he did work it out it would be more than his agency was worth the make life hard for you in the future.

Anyway, at the very least you could ask if he is right about not giving you the number that you asked for.  A lot of LPOs try to get out of fulfilling their obligations and unless AP are made aware of it they will continue to give less than satisfactory service.

Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

I also had a problem with a very rude and unhelpful independant PO manager a few weeks ago. All I wanted her to do was process the prepaid satchel through the till instead of using the 'zapper' which does not give you a receipt. She first said it couldn't be done so I said yes itt can, my local PO process all my parcels that way and are happy to give me a recept. Her reply was that she owned the place and didn't have to do anything if she didn't want to. I did raise a comlaint but hadn't had a reply before leavng Aus.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

thanks I have logged a complaint.  and I found the info...domestic parcels - email track advice opt in at time of lodgement... He was a nasty piece of work!

Optional extras (domestic)

Want additional peace of mind for the delivery of your item? Simply choose which of the below features you need when you pay for, or lodge, your parcel.

Extra Cover
Signature on Delivery
Email Track Advice

Email Track Advice will provide the recipient of the parcel with email updates about the progress of their parcel through its delivery journey.

Price

Free

How to add this feature

You must opt in for this service at the time of lodgement. If using click and send select this feature when entering the recipient's address details.

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

Email Track Advice

Email Track Advice will provide the recipient of the parcel with email updates about the progress of their parcel through its delivery journey.

Price

Free

How to add this feature

You must opt in for this service at the time of lodgement

First you would need a tracking number. Which is included when you send a parcel. I don't know about the 'not buying stamps here first' bit.

Buying online postage labels (via eBay) you get a tracking number at the time of purchase.

Parcel Post

Regular parcel delivery within Australia

Service details
  • Economical domestic delivery
  • Extra Cover, Signature on Delivery and Email Track Advice available
  • Available in small, medium and large prepaid satchels or as a postage label 
  • Lodge in a red street-posting box or over the counter at a Post Office if you require proof of posting
  • Tracking included
Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

He does sound snippy. I wonder if these smaller PO  outlets are getting less work and are struggling to earn an income? People buying their postage labels online etc. Not an excuse for poor customer service though.

Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

when he asked me if I gave things for free, I replied yes, yes I do sometimes - nothing wrong with paying it forward - but thats not the point .  I also said in the time that he had been raising his voice at me he could have processed the  item no. many times over - I did ask what he was supposedly giving away for free - the label?  eventually he moved away and just ignored me.

I told hubby and he said sounds like he's doing it tough.... - clearly if he scares his customers away. but perhaps that was his intention  - to get rid of me, I could see his mouth twitching as he spoke to me...he was nasty!!

the interior of the PO is very run down, needs a makeover (not that thats relevant)- other than perhaps it reflects his state of mind...

Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

I started using eBay online postage labels when they first came out . The PO staff sort of looked dumbfounded over them in those early days. Looked like they were thinking - I  have to scan a parcel but you didn't buy the postage here sort of thing. 

I am not sure if the actual PO that receives the parcel (with prepaid online label) and lodges it and prints a receipt gets any funds for  doing so. 

If not, it is the same  for your parcel, you bought the postage elsewhere, but want to lodge it over a PO counter.

Message 10 of 43
Latest reply