Australia Post non corporate branch???? Horrid service

I live in chatswood NSW which has recently amalgamated 2 POs into one, the new one has no parking closeby, located in the rail interchange.  so having recently sold a 5kg item boxe din a wine box that wouldn't fit in the post box I went to a nearby suburb post office on my way home from some errands as there was closeby parking.  I also took in with me a couple of airmail letters to buy stamps for and post.

I have used this post office several times and apart from finding the staff a little stand-offish, service has been mostly satisfactory*.  I purchase my australian stamps fully gummed from a n internet contact, they're not reused they fully gummed and legal tender.  so while posting my overseas letters that I had to purchase over the counter stamps I also passed my heavy box accross the counter.  had witten how much stamps I'd put on the box (which of course they wanted to check) and had also cubed it writing the measurments on the box to make life easy if they again wanted to check it.  then I asked if I could have a complimentary article id stamp - not a $2.95 or whatever sign for one but one that is written on aust. post webside for any parcel you send within australia.   customer service have reconfirmed in the past that any GPO should be able to give one.  *this post office before has not scanned a 3kg satchel or given me a receipt for the satchl scan at the time of lodging as they say they scan them all together at the end of the day to save paper for their till!! 

anyway the staff member went and had hushed words with the manager who came out and said you want a tracking no. you buy one, not for free!!! you don't buy stamps here you don't get my staff to work ...do you give things away for free?  I was shocked!! I said the aust post website says its part of the parcel service...he replied go to chatswood its the corporate office.  I said I'm not a business what is corporate...He was filthy nasty.  I wasn't using illegal stamps, I wasn't asking for a favour... I was also buying international stamps but he owns the post office shop and said he wants to make money - basically wanted me to &(*&(  off.   He took my 5kg parcel since it wouldn't fit in the post box but wouldn't give me an article id...(which I had to live with as I had no intention of lugging it to chatswood).  This wasn't part of a newagency ...surely they're a rep of australia post ...?  article ids are unless recently removed part of APs parcel service.  How can you have a private surburban post office - that don't do what a large AP corp say - what has happened?!!!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

When click & send first started POs were not paid to process their satchels but after many protests they began to be paid for each lodgement and the same applies t the ebay satchels, they do get paid to process them.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

so am you're telling me this as its a similar thing....as in you didn't buy your stamps there but so what...? (excuse the way I've worded this...you're showing me a similarity?)...  after starting this forum I think in future if I'm out that way I will try a different suburbs Post office...thats what the nasty man wanted me to go away ...but he'll get his come uppance...maybe the bigwigs are trying to freeze him out..

i wonder then PJ if the post office gets paid to process say my wine box 5kg parcel (already stamped) of today...i suspect not.

Message 12 of 43
Latest reply

Licensed Post Offices are paid to accept lodgement and scan of your artcles, regardless of you not buying packing and postage from the outlet you are posting from. By buying your postage and packaging elsewhere owner is not making a commission/profit on what you send.  No excuse for poor customer service.    

Message 13 of 43
Latest reply

My understanding is AP centres are paid by the items you purchase in their store. If you buy all of your stamps, mailing envelopes, bubble wrap etc. from somewhere else, the post office staff will be providing the service to you, but the owner of the centre will not get paid for providing that service.

I originally come from a small rural area where people try to support local businesses by buying from them, even if the range is not as good or the price slightly more expensive. Its called shopping localy and ensures those businesses are there when you need something at short notice, their kids attend the local school and the family are involved in community and sporting organisations.

Now that our family has moved to a large regional centre I still try to follow the practice. I pay double what I would online for my bubble wrap & packing tape, purchasing it at the local office supplies shop. I buy my envelopes and most of my postage requirements from the local PO. I admit though that I do buy 3 kg. satchels online so dont claim to be any perfect saint.

The post office manager you spoke to, should not under any circumstances refuse to provide you with services that AP offer for free and it sounds like his attitude was rather extreme. There may have been other things going on in his life that you may not know about ( business failing, Kids running amock, wife ill ??? ) or maybe hes just a plain old grump. All I am saying is try walking a mile in his shoes.

Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

Thanks I hear you. He could have been a bit more pleasant especially when I walked out the door crying more in frustration when my dad was diagnosed with cancer told me sunday ... And I told him as much
Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

So sorry to hear that. You dont need a grumpy post master when you have just had that bit of news. Take care

Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

thanks.  seriously someone who doesn't like people shouldn't be in customer service!!Woman Frustrated

Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Your OP reminds me very much of a PO on the Far South Coast of NSW.  Before I knew about the Aust Post web site where I can get very accurate postage costs, I used to take all my parcels into the LPO to be weighed and get the cost to send.  I also then went back and posted all off at that same PO.

One day, I had around 8 parcels for weighing/costing, only to be told by the owner (and also his wife), 'we don't have time to do this for you any more'.....'why don't you use your bathroom scales...'  (right, they're really accurate - not!!).  I noticed there were two other people hovering in the background, and it didn't take long to put the good old two and two together - he was selling the business, and this was his way of impressing the new owners of how he treated customers.

Needless to say, the  new owners didn't get to keep this customer, who had been a regular source of income for the PO.  I then drove the few k's into Merimbula and did all my business there.  

Oh! and it wasn't any trouble at all for them to weigh/cost my parcels, even though it was a very busy place.  'No problem, only too happy to help...'

The Merimbula PO was an official AP one, the other was privately owned.  You'd kind of think the attitude would be mirror reversed - private : bend over backwards to be nice and helpful, official AP : dismissive.  Still it takes all kinds to make the world.....

Message 18 of 43
Latest reply

thanks all for the info and encouragement.  I have logged a complaint, as thats twice he's denied me a tracking id and its part of aust posts service.  AP customer service advised the area manager will investigate as they take this kind of thing very seriously........denying customers an AP service...../and the attitude to boot.

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

to 5kazam and lots , sure you have some rude post offices and they need to be reported , to 5 kazam you have got 8 parcels to weigh them ,if you got that many parcels at 1 time [buy a scale] its not that its a 1 off ,thing, we have a person wasting time by getting 8 parcels weighed and priced , and prob not even posting whith them , and we have another person buying his stamps somewear else and asking for the post man to do the extra work and storing for free. why dont you guys goes to a cafe order a glass of water and sit on a chair and take a tea bag out of your pocket and put it in the water , use the sugar and take a sandwich out of your bag and put it on a napkin , [no difference to what you are doing at the postoffice.] mmmmmmm

Message 20 of 43
Latest reply