Australia Post non corporate branch???? Horrid service

I live in chatswood NSW which has recently amalgamated 2 POs into one, the new one has no parking closeby, located in the rail interchange.  so having recently sold a 5kg item boxe din a wine box that wouldn't fit in the post box I went to a nearby suburb post office on my way home from some errands as there was closeby parking.  I also took in with me a couple of airmail letters to buy stamps for and post.

I have used this post office several times and apart from finding the staff a little stand-offish, service has been mostly satisfactory*.  I purchase my australian stamps fully gummed from a n internet contact, they're not reused they fully gummed and legal tender.  so while posting my overseas letters that I had to purchase over the counter stamps I also passed my heavy box accross the counter.  had witten how much stamps I'd put on the box (which of course they wanted to check) and had also cubed it writing the measurments on the box to make life easy if they again wanted to check it.  then I asked if I could have a complimentary article id stamp - not a $2.95 or whatever sign for one but one that is written on aust. post webside for any parcel you send within australia.   customer service have reconfirmed in the past that any GPO should be able to give one.  *this post office before has not scanned a 3kg satchel or given me a receipt for the satchl scan at the time of lodging as they say they scan them all together at the end of the day to save paper for their till!! 

anyway the staff member went and had hushed words with the manager who came out and said you want a tracking no. you buy one, not for free!!! you don't buy stamps here you don't get my staff to work ...do you give things away for free?  I was shocked!! I said the aust post website says its part of the parcel service...he replied go to chatswood its the corporate office.  I said I'm not a business what is corporate...He was filthy nasty.  I wasn't using illegal stamps, I wasn't asking for a favour... I was also buying international stamps but he owns the post office shop and said he wants to make money - basically wanted me to &(*&(  off.   He took my 5kg parcel since it wouldn't fit in the post box but wouldn't give me an article id...(which I had to live with as I had no intention of lugging it to chatswood).  This wasn't part of a newagency ...surely they're a rep of australia post ...?  article ids are unless recently removed part of APs parcel service.  How can you have a private surburban post office - that don't do what a large AP corp say - what has happened?!!!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Read what you wrote, Joe, and see if  you can make sense of it.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

Joe, you obviously didn't read my post properly.  

I said in the days 'before I knew about the Aust Post website, where I can get very accurate postage costs....', and I also stated that I always posted at that same PO.  

So no, I don't consider I was a time waster, and as far as I'm concerned, my money is as good as anyone elses.

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

you said you then went back to the same postoffice [ but how would the postoffice know you were going back to them one day , what if your parcels did not sell ,what if your parcels were a pick up , what if and when the parcels sold , the same owners of the post office are there.]

if you took parcels and posted the same time thats fine thats what everybody does, can you imagine every ebayer taking parcels just to weigh  ; its a postoffice not a weigh station .mmmmmmmmmmmm

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

in english [time wasters]

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

Have you ever been to Pambula, Joe?  It's not the biggest place in the world.  And as I was a regular 'poster' I was quite well known at the PO.  

And not that I think you would appreciate the relevance, but when I had a lot of parcels to post, or just needed something weighed and costed to wherever, I would also stand back and let those who wanted 1 stamp or to pay the electricity bill or whatever to go before me.  I certainly didn't do a 'me first'.

Plus, point lost on you Joe, it's part of Aust Post service.

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

can you see my point , taking 8 parcels in to a post office so they can weigh them ,then take back the parcels home so you can put the right package weight on your ebay add , then if and only if they sell ,you might take it to that postoffice for payment and lodgement,

or the buyer and you might decide on a pick up \, or the buyer might ask you for a courier, or what ever .

its not ap service to just weigh your parcels.anyway not all against you,  i was also refering to the stamp man .

have a nice day

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

My Local Post Office In Kilburn SA would not accept my large letter which were already stamped (Legally) because she did not want to use her ink to cancel the stamps and asked me to post them in the post boxt out side. I made a complaint to Aus Post but never heard a thing back. I no longer use this post office and now lodge my items at Arndale Kilkenny which is owned by Aust Post. I was a great believer in supporting local businesses but after that never again with that PO. I dont care normally were the people are from but it seems to be people from another country and do not understand ENGLISH. Last week I went to another LPO asked for a large letter to be registered 100 grams was told we dont do that anymore . That was Rosewater East PO on Grand Junction Road. I lodged a complaint and that item was tracked and signed for without me paying for it. $100 Value which registered post covers.

LPO Give them the miss 90% have no idea especially the New Australan Ones

Just my opinion

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

hiya crows.  the thing is how does the ave person know whether its a LPO or a corporate ...all you see is the Aust Post symbol and in you go to buy your stamps pay your bill whatever. I certainly had not idea until recently - nor did I care.  they should be providing the same service.

your inking "drama" sounds so similar to my tracking incident and when he wouldn't scan my satchel and give me a receipt (which wasn't that important to me so I let it go) but for the reason of not using excess till paper... thats pathetic...

He was rude to me and didn't want me to return...and he's got his wish...but I hope he gets pulled up bad because he was sooo nasty and goodness knows how he treats the lil old ladies who come in for their concession stamp allowance (sorry whats the correct name....senior stamps??) when he doesn't make any money out of them!!  seriously theres a lot of ebayers out there who would help keep australia post going ...

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

I got charged 20 cents for a cup of water at the cinema once, pretty cheap considering the price of other stuff, they said it was for the cup.

Ultimately the item is going to be posted there anyway and and they knew the person so don't think it would matter much. Personally I would feel bad about going into a random post office and getting things weighed and just walking out.

I purchase my stamps and labels online so don't usually buy my stuff at the post office (sometimes I do) and they don't seem to care. I did feel bad about it at first but not anymore, and I think they like the fact that they don't have to spend ages working out the price of everything. They don't weigh any of my stuff anymore either.

I have no idea about how a post office is run but surely they don't just get income from selling stamps, lables and satchels. Maybe they make a hefty profit from all the other stuff they sell in post offices now.

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

The LPO's mainly make their income from Bill Paying, X Lotto,  and don't give a s**t about Aus Post principle's They get paid approx 5 cents for every Aust Post item they scan but a lot more, 16% I believe on bill payments and Xlotto well who knows... My LPO will attend to XLotto customers before someone who is lodging a parcel.. Now that sucks....

What happened to the days of Tom Kruse..The Mail always Came First

Crowsman

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply