Australia Post non corporate branch???? Horrid service

I live in chatswood NSW which has recently amalgamated 2 POs into one, the new one has no parking closeby, located in the rail interchange.  so having recently sold a 5kg item boxe din a wine box that wouldn't fit in the post box I went to a nearby suburb post office on my way home from some errands as there was closeby parking.  I also took in with me a couple of airmail letters to buy stamps for and post.

I have used this post office several times and apart from finding the staff a little stand-offish, service has been mostly satisfactory*.  I purchase my australian stamps fully gummed from a n internet contact, they're not reused they fully gummed and legal tender.  so while posting my overseas letters that I had to purchase over the counter stamps I also passed my heavy box accross the counter.  had witten how much stamps I'd put on the box (which of course they wanted to check) and had also cubed it writing the measurments on the box to make life easy if they again wanted to check it.  then I asked if I could have a complimentary article id stamp - not a $2.95 or whatever sign for one but one that is written on aust. post webside for any parcel you send within australia.   customer service have reconfirmed in the past that any GPO should be able to give one.  *this post office before has not scanned a 3kg satchel or given me a receipt for the satchl scan at the time of lodging as they say they scan them all together at the end of the day to save paper for their till!! 

anyway the staff member went and had hushed words with the manager who came out and said you want a tracking no. you buy one, not for free!!! you don't buy stamps here you don't get my staff to work ...do you give things away for free?  I was shocked!! I said the aust post website says its part of the parcel service...he replied go to chatswood its the corporate office.  I said I'm not a business what is corporate...He was filthy nasty.  I wasn't using illegal stamps, I wasn't asking for a favour... I was also buying international stamps but he owns the post office shop and said he wants to make money - basically wanted me to &(*&(  off.   He took my 5kg parcel since it wouldn't fit in the post box but wouldn't give me an article id...(which I had to live with as I had no intention of lugging it to chatswood).  This wasn't part of a newagency ...surely they're a rep of australia post ...?  article ids are unless recently removed part of APs parcel service.  How can you have a private surburban post office - that don't do what a large AP corp say - what has happened?!!!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

If you receive poor service from any AP oultet whether LPO or not report it to Australia Post. I have done so and will continue to do so. I never hear back but surely if AP received enough " negative feedback" about a particular branch they will have to ask questions.

I was refused tracking one day so rang up AP  and quoted branch and employee. Sure enough next time I saw the staff manager they apologised for the " confusion". They had got a call from someone about the incident.

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

well said I like the 20 cents for water, talking about were they make money ,let someone who has ever owned a franchise , firstly they have to buy everything from the company and I mean everything , you will see local shop keepers buying coke cans from supermarkets as its cheaper than wholesale , ,but 7/11 franchisers are not allowed to .

if the local shops pay about 60 cents at coles specials franchisers prob pay about double that, so every cent helps .

these postoffices can only make money on what they sell or process bills ,  so they prob get sick of people who buy online or from another postoffice then want them to handle there parcels for zilch .

crossman i dont know where you get 16% on bills from prob 1.6 %  otherwise a $500 electric bill they would get $80  mmmm

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

Can't say I have ever heard of the X Lotto, maybe it is not in queensland. Surely they can't be making 16% from a bill payment? I would be demanding a discount on my next bill for not using AP. My post office is an agent for the commonwealth bank as well plus they do the westurn union transfers. I think the problem is that a lot of the post offices are privately run now but they should still be abiding buy the code of conduct or whatever they have.

I wouldn't let them serve someone else before me if I was there first, or at least give them my opinion on the matter. That said I do let people go first sometimes if they have something simple to do at places, but it is my choice not thiers. First come first served.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

@kingfisher.curiosity.shop wrote:

If you receive poor service from any AP oultet whether LPO or not report it to Australia Post. I have done so and will continue to do so. I never hear back but surely if AP received enough " negative feedback" about a particular branch they will have to ask questions.

I was refused tracking one day so rang up AP  and quoted branch and employee. Sure enough next time I saw the staff manager they apologised for the " confusion". They had got a call from someone about the incident.

I don't care what Nationality people are but my problem seems to be they do not understand ENGLISH very well. Aus Post should see this with the amount of complaints that they get. I report EVERY incident I have with a LPO but nothing seems to get done about it. Aus Post need to get their act together and before they approve a take over of a LPO they should make sure the people taking it over UNDERSTAND what the customer requires and speak ENGLISH, Wear the Aus Post Uniform and a name tag so you know who is who, but then again that's virtually impossible as they all look the same.

Crowsman

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

i dont know where you get 16% on bills from prob 1.6 %  otherwise a $500 electric bill they would get $80  mmmm

Sorry you are correct I missed the " ." My Brother inlaw used to run a LPO in Victoria and that is what he told me, 1.6%.    X Lotto or Tatts Lotto if you are not in SA they were is bread and pudding and that seems to be all Aus Post Care about.

Crowsman

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

@crowsman53 wrote:

i dont know where you get 16% on bills from prob 1.6 %  otherwise a $500 electric bill they would get $80  mmmm

Sorry you are correct I missed the " ." My Brother inlaw used to run a LPO in Victoria and that is what he told me, 1.6%.    X Lotto or Tatts Lotto if you are not in SA they were is bread and pudding and that seems to be all Aus Post Care about.

Crowsman

I thought it was "bread and butter", there is a bread and butter pudding.also which is quite tasty.

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

interesting post - bad pun - I'm the initial poster and also under this id.  ... I guess a) he had no right to refuse me a tracking no. b) or be so rude and nasty to me , and I also had international post I needed stamps for if he thought I wanted something "for free".  He said I wanted something for free because I was using his staffs time to count my stamps - I'd actually written the total next to the stamps and the cubed measurements.  their choice if they wanted to check it.  I respect peoples different situations but it was totally uncalled for.  wow wasting ink and 20c a cup of water... similar cirumstances

interestingly I was at my local post office today and the guy reconfirmed you get a tracking no. anyway regardless where you buy your stamps for your parcel and the lady in the next queue put her env on the scales asked how much it was to post they answered and she left without purchasing anything.  they didn't care.

Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

Couple of things here Joe.  

1. It is an Aust Post service. whether you agree or not.  See my post well above, where the offical AP said it was not a problem, only too happy to help.

2.  Because of the niche market that I was selling in - each item being a one off piece of Australian Pottery - 99.99% were definite sales.  People who buy in that market aren't tyre kickers.  They may be TK's in other categories, but not mine.

3.  Just checked my records, and in the few months that I was located in Pambula I spent over $500.00 at that PO.  May not sound much to you, but with what I was selling - a reasonable expenditure.  And probably well over the odds of what others were spending in that PO.

4.  If it was a local pickup, potential buyer would have let me know they were in the vicinity, so no need to go to the PO.

5.  Courier - that one gets a big laugh.  That kinda reminds me of the .99c sellers who charge $50.00 delivery.  Pambula is 573km from Melbourne, 524km from Sydney, 244km from Canberra.  Definitely not an option that I would have considered/proposed!!!!!

6.  Again if you read my orignal post properly, you will note that I said the comments made by the owners were to 'impress' the new buyers.

So Joe, it would be appreciated if you would rethink some of what you post.  You write a lot, but in this particular instance, I consider you are way off the mark of reality.

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

interesting post - bad pun - I'm the initial poster and also under this id.  ... I guess a) he had no right to refuse me a tracking no. b) or be so rude and nasty to me , and I also had international post I needed stamps for if he thought I wanted something "for free".  He said I wanted something for free because I was using his staffs time to count my stamps - I'd actually written the total next to the stamps and the cubed measurements.  their choice if they wanted to check it.  I respect peoples different situations but it was totally uncalled for.  wow wasting ink and 20c a cup of water... similar cirumstances

interestingly I was at my local post office today and the guy reconfirmed you get a tracking no. anyway regardless where you buy your stamps for your parcel and the lady in the next queue put her env on the scales asked how much it was to post they answered and she left without purchasing anything.  they didn't care.

When I had mistakenly put stamps on a package (I think it was a large letter for $2.10) and the package was supposed to be express they just printed up a label for the difference. I always wonder still if I go in with a package with say $7.20 worth of stamps (the full amount for a normal package) if they should be providing me with a tracking number when lodged. Australia Post advertise the fact that all packages are "tracked" so they should, but at worst you could go with a little under the required amount with stamps and pay the difference and get a tracking number.

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

I should have included the fact that it was just a young girl serving me the 20 cent cup of water and not the owner or manager. At the time I thought it was ridiculous, although someone has to pay for the cup I guess. Not that I asked for it but I think she gave me ice as well.

Message 40 of 43
Latest reply