Buyers getting away with theft.

I had two purchases from the same person. He created 2 new accounts and purchased 2 high value items, 1 on each account, almost $4k total. He also messaged me through a 3rd account, never replying through the accounts he purchased from. I spoke to Ebay and they said as long as I sent to the correct address with tracking I would be covered.

I sent the items. He then opened item not received cases for both items. I went through the whole process with Ebay and provided all the delivery information, tracking etc. They then decided both cases in my favour. All very stressful given the $ involved. This morning, I received an email from Ebay saying the buyer appealed the decision and it  was granted an they would deduct the funds from me. The case details now show:

Outcome
The case was decided in the buyer's favour.

More info
You agreed to give your buyer a refund but didn't issue it.

I didn't agree to refund the buyer at all.

I cannot begin to understand how Ebay continue to support buyers regardless of circumstances and even when there is clearly dodgy behaviour. 

I spoke to Ebay just now. While the guy I spoke to was pleasant and wanting to help, I have no confidence whatsoever that this will be dealt with properly.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Buyers getting away with theft.

Contact Australia Post and ask for photographic evidence that the item was delivered. Best way is via Facebook Messenger. They respond fairly quickly.

Did you send the items with Signature on Delivery? This is a must if the value is over $750 for Seller Protection

Also, do you have the transcript where eBay advised that as long as you the item with tracking you would be covered.  If they failed to tell you should have used signature on delivery that may be helpful in your appeal.

Message 11 of 47
Latest reply

I suspect they would have asked for this already.

Message 12 of 47
Latest reply

Yes both orders were sent with signature on delivery. Due to pretty much every order we send being over $750, we always have the signature required.

Message 13 of 47
Latest reply

That’s good. Aust Post will have a copy of the signatures. As I mentioned contact them via Messenger and request the signatures. Then slap eBay with it and they will have no choice but to pay you the money you are owed.

I’d love to know what the buyers reason for appeal was, but knowing eBay if you ask them they’ll tell you due to privacy they cannot disclose the details.

bizarre that they have upheld the scammers appeal given you have followed eBay’s procedures to a T.

your feedback is fantastic by the way! 

let us know the outcome! I hope they reverse their decision🤞🤞🤞

Message 14 of 47
Latest reply

Thank you. Yes, I have already requested the signatures from Aust Post. I expect they should get them to me by Monday. There's been a further development though. One case is still item not received. The other is now item not as described where he claims that he just received some small PC parts, screws etc. Mind you, the INAD was lodged a week or so after the item not received case was closed in my favour. The whole situation is absolutely ridiculous, particularly in that it's so obvious what's going on here. So now, that second case is a return where he has stated he will return 'what we sent him'. I am going to make sure I video receiving and opening whatever he sends back. 

Message 15 of 47
Latest reply

While it is totally obvious what this buyer is up to - you are not going to get far with videoing any package being opened.

Apart from the fact it could be any package - you have no proof it will not be what you actually sent.

A rock and a hard place.

Message 16 of 47
Latest reply

I note you use sendle,  if it was Australia Post I would say you could check what weight appears on your lodgement slip,  but only if you actually get them weighed, rather than the cubed weight that I give them, as this is just the box size, not the actual,  but if they actually weighed it, that would appear on the slip.   You could compare that to the weight of whats returned if its only screws and stuff.

But,  not sure how sendle check weights,  but could be worth a phone call.

Message 17 of 47
Latest reply

Yes I totally agree. The ebay rep I spoke to recommended doing this. While I agree it's not hard proof, I don't have anything to lose by doing it anyway.

Message 18 of 47
Latest reply

can you have return item sent to post office?....then you can video in front of staff....more likely they will do a stat dec for you

Message 19 of 47
Latest reply

I've been through a couple of  ebay 'item not as described cases' so I know your in a hard place.  Ebay policy is to side with the buyer unless there is a track record of the buyer making many such claims. My thinking is when an Ebay CSR rep looks a case they look by account name. Previous claims wouldn't show as the serial INAD'er is clever and has a different account for each claim.  A seach by street address would bring up a full record.  

I think your best bet is Australia Post. They take an extremely dim view of people using their service for anything other than to get mail delivered. 

Message 20 of 47
Latest reply