Buyers getting away with theft.

I had two purchases from the same person. He created 2 new accounts and purchased 2 high value items, 1 on each account, almost $4k total. He also messaged me through a 3rd account, never replying through the accounts he purchased from. I spoke to Ebay and they said as long as I sent to the correct address with tracking I would be covered.

I sent the items. He then opened item not received cases for both items. I went through the whole process with Ebay and provided all the delivery information, tracking etc. They then decided both cases in my favour. All very stressful given the $ involved. This morning, I received an email from Ebay saying the buyer appealed the decision and it  was granted an they would deduct the funds from me. The case details now show:

Outcome
The case was decided in the buyer's favour.

More info
You agreed to give your buyer a refund but didn't issue it.

I didn't agree to refund the buyer at all.

I cannot begin to understand how Ebay continue to support buyers regardless of circumstances and even when there is clearly dodgy behaviour. 

I spoke to Ebay just now. While the guy I spoke to was pleasant and wanting to help, I have no confidence whatsoever that this will be dealt with properly.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I'll play devils advocate here,  as I have seen it happen locally,  it is possible it was delivered to another address,  that person signed for it,  and the real person did do a legitimate stat dec.

Having said that the story sounds suspicious,  and I would be off to the police, or at least suggesting to the purchaser thats what you intend to do, and see if they change their tune.

Message 31 of 47
Latest reply

...isn't the stat dec on the delivered (INAD) item?

Message 32 of 47
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

...isn't the stat dec on the delivered (INAD) item?

Re reading its thats possible,  but in one sentence it taling about POD,  maybe op needs to clarify

Message 33 of 47
Latest reply

Catch up - think the problem went from not delivered to not as described.

Message 34 of 47
Latest reply

Because the witness is required by law to include details that identify them as an authorised person.

I used to have such authority and the rules are explicit.

Message 35 of 47
Latest reply

Yesโ€ฆ Ditto, davewil (I have the authority - why am I hearing that in my head as authorituh in a silly voice???).

OP, are you saying that the buyer is now claiming โ€œnot as describedโ€?

Message 36 of 47
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Because the witness is required by law to include details that identify them as an authorised person.

I used to have such authority and the rules are explicit.

The question was - how does eBay know - this particular Stat dec is - indeed - signed by an authorised person.

Have they just accepted - ' a stat dec ' - or checked it's authenticity.

How would they do this. ??

Take it as ' face value ' ?????

Message 37 of 47
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Yesโ€ฆ Ditto, davewil (I have the authority - why am I hearing that in my head as authorituh in a silly voice???).

OP, are you saying that the buyer is now claiming โ€œnot as describedโ€?

Think you should read back.

Message 38 of 47
Latest reply

Anyone can ' mock up ' a ' stat dec '.

Message 39 of 47
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Anyone can ' mock up ' a ' stat dec '.

Yes anyone can,  but do you expect Ebay or any other authority to contact the person signing it to make sure it is legit.   Thats not realistic, they need to take it at face value,  

Message 40 of 47
Latest reply