How do I deal with rude staff at my local post office?

chezzy
Community Member

Hi folks

This is not the first time I have raised the issue but could not find the previous post.

I am in a situation where my local post office has rude/unfriendly staff. During weekdays I am limited to

this Post Office. No matter what day, what time - even during the quietest times - the staff there can

barely utter a friendly word, a smile or even a thankyou.

Regardless I try to be courteous and organized. Seems to make no difference.

This alone is putting me off selling on ebay. I can't get my head around it. I have had enough

and this week when one of them told me bluntly to move aside I told them there was

"no need to be rude and you are always rude". They did not even look at me or respond,

completely ignored me.

Am at the point where I would like to lodge a complaint but not sure where? This is not a stand alone

Post Office, it is an agency/newsagent combined. Who are they accountable/answerable to -

Australia Post or is there a district manager who oversees these places?

Any help would be appreciated!

In the meantime I am thinking of having one posting day (Saturdays) and travelling to another

Post Office. Because I am not keen to give a single cent to my local one with their attitude.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: How do I deal with rude staff at my local post office?

I'd be wary about only posting one day a week.  Even if you put something at the top of the description some people will still ignore it and ask where their parcel is.  If someone wants to get nasty they could do a money back guarantee claim before you've even sent the parcel, or just after you've posted it, simply because you won't be able to show a long enough handling time to prevent this happening.  It's up to you to decide, of course, but a buyer will often mark you down for all stars just because they're not happy with one aspect of the sale (postage time).

About 10 years ago I had to ring and make a complaint about a PO.  AP rang me back the next day and told me they'd explained to the PO how a certain thing should be done.  It didn't help me because I'd driven over 100 kms there and back specifically because they'd told me over the phone they sold a particular product, but when I got there they said they thought I meant something else.

I know it's hard fronting up to these sorts of people but when I'm in this sort of situation I buy my supplies elsewhere (pre-paid envelopes, satchels etc) and just "use" them to post everything.  In other words, they do the work but they get very little financial reward.

Message 51 of 74
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

I'd be wary about only posting one day a week.  Even if you put something at the top of the description some people will still ignore it and ask where their parcel is.  If someone wants to get nasty they could do a money back guarantee claim before you've even sent the parcel, or just after you've posted it, simply because you won't be able to show a long enough handling time to prevent this happening.  It's up to you to decide, of course, but a buyer will often mark you down for all stars just because they're not happy with one aspect of the sale (postage time).

If you read my points in the post prior to yours the 'one day a week' would be a worst case scenario - and potential buyers

will be forewarned of possible delays. Even though my selling is sporadic, in recent years I have been mentioning in listings potential delays or that I aim to post twice a week etc. I have NEVER had any issues or complaints or bursts of impatience from people. Actually only one who nagged and nagged message after message for me to post same day and wouldn't take no for an answer. So he soon got blocked. If I start to have a run of people who can not respect my terms and limitations well then it may be that ebay isn't the place to find new homes for my items. We will have to see.

Message 52 of 74
Latest reply

As englishrose mentioned things have changed since the eBay money back guarantee came in (Nov).

A long post time - once a week (if you decided on that) - may put off potential buyers. Are there other sellers selling the same/similiar products to yours? If so, they may attract more buyers if they can post item within <1-2 days of payment.

Message 53 of 74
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

As englishrose mentioned things have changed since the eBay money back guarantee came in (Nov).

A long post time - once a week (if you decided on that) - may put off potential buyers. Are there other sellers selling the same/similiar products to yours? If so, they may attract more buyers if they can post item within <1-2 days of payment.

Per my post/message 50

3) My items are not very competitive/common so I think most of my

buyers would be fairly accepting of the delays as they will have

limited opportunities of acquiring otherwise

Message 54 of 74
Latest reply

Interestingly I have just come across some reviews online for this Post Office. The reviews are old BUT mention

how rude the staff are, how short they are with their customers etc. Whilst this gives me more 'fodder' for my

complaint it also has me thinking that complaints might fall on deaf ears, considering that the online reviews

are from 2011. We of course don't know if it is still the same people running the Post Office...

Message 55 of 74
Latest reply

maybe they think there's more profit in a daily newspaper than the $20,000 p/a they get for the sub agent

Message 56 of 74
Latest reply

The staff at my local news agency/PO sub agency in Ashwood are fantastic. Always get a hello, they address me by name. Always helpful, polite and courteous. They even hold all my own parcels for me when they know I'm away. There's always a little box of chockies at Christmas as a thank you for their fantastic service.
Message 57 of 74
Latest reply

How long are you actually in the PO?

Can't you just ignore the staff like they ignore you for the time it takes them to serve you?

Their rudeness or maybe it is just lack of interest shouldn't get you down, they are the ones being unsociable so just keep being nice and say Hi and leave it at that.

My local PO are really rude too, they keep oiling my squeaky shopping trolley whenever I go in. LOL

They say they can hear me from when I walk out my front door, rude people that they are. 

Message 58 of 74
Latest reply

@bumps-bargains wrote:

How long are you actually in the PO?

Can't you just ignore the staff like they ignore you for the time it takes them to serve you?

They have had over a year to get over their 'bad mood' or whatever it is. If I was served a bad meal in a restaurant I

doubt I would return, not if there is a chance of being dished up more bad meals. How is it any different?

I don't want to spend any more money or time with negative people like that. I have sent a letter off to Australia Post.

Message 59 of 74
Latest reply

Kiss ass.  That always works for me.  I once had a woman, who worked in the bank with a real attitude problem.   It was a nightmare whenever I needed to go there.  She was just really unpleasant.  One day, in football season (which I don't follow), I noticed they had football flags and such for the Broncos.  When she served me I simply asked, "Did you see the game", and she was off and running with smiles all over the place.  I didn't have a problem with her after that.  People serving in shops can be a problem too, I guess they just run out of steam or something.  I find something I like about them and comment on it.  "Your hair looks lovely", How do you do your nails that way?"  and so on.  Sometimes just, "How are you today?"  is enough.  People are sometimes treated like robots and, eventually become robots.  Sometimes they need help.

Message 60 of 74
Latest reply