How do I deal with rude staff at my local post office?

chezzy
Community Member

Hi folks

This is not the first time I have raised the issue but could not find the previous post.

I am in a situation where my local post office has rude/unfriendly staff. During weekdays I am limited to

this Post Office. No matter what day, what time - even during the quietest times - the staff there can

barely utter a friendly word, a smile or even a thankyou.

Regardless I try to be courteous and organized. Seems to make no difference.

This alone is putting me off selling on ebay. I can't get my head around it. I have had enough

and this week when one of them told me bluntly to move aside I told them there was

"no need to be rude and you are always rude". They did not even look at me or respond,

completely ignored me.

Am at the point where I would like to lodge a complaint but not sure where? This is not a stand alone

Post Office, it is an agency/newsagent combined. Who are they accountable/answerable to -

Australia Post or is there a district manager who oversees these places?

Any help would be appreciated!

In the meantime I am thinking of having one posting day (Saturdays) and travelling to another

Post Office. Because I am not keen to give a single cent to my local one with their attitude.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

It must be a Post Office thing because I use a number of different ones depending on where I go that day. Poor customer service is the norm and friendly service is fairly rare. I use stamps on letters and parcels and I guess I cause the poor dears more work when they have to double check everything.

Guess what- they get paid to accept mail over the counter. Dont let it bother you.

Message 41 of 74
Latest reply

@medalsbadgespatches wrote:

It must be a Post Office thing because I use a number of different ones depending on where I go that day. Poor customer service is the norm and friendly service is fairly rare. I use stamps on letters and parcels and I guess I cause the poor dears more work when they have to double check everything.

Guess what- they get paid to accept mail over the counter. Dont let it bother you.

Am feeling much better now that I have a plan. Yes that's right - they get paid for this - interesting how so many forget this.

But why should it (lack of friendly service) be accepted/tolerated as the norm? Some businesses would be mortified

and want to address the issues?

Message 42 of 74
Latest reply

yes!

We were getting appalling service from an LPO At Wellington Point in Qld and a staff member was rude to one of my children. Never again will we ever spend a cent in there on any postal or newsagency or convenience items. 

We get daily pick ups from Aussie Post but if we need to send extra or are running late, can drop more in at our local PO - the P O Manager there was nothing short of obnoxious and rude, however the ladies there are lovely. Quick word to our Aussie Post Account and the PO Manager avoids us like the plague (which we LOVE) and the lovely ladies got a 'well done' on their great service Smiley Very Happy

Message 43 of 74
Latest reply

Oh and the lovely ladies at Capalaba give my kids stamps on the hands and ask them about school Smiley Very Happy Heart

Message 44 of 74
Latest reply

I had a problem with a post office once. I rang Australia Post and put in a complaint!. They got back to me the next day and told me how sorry they were, and a rep had been sent out to the post office and the staff member was being retrained, o and to make it up to you..here is 2 free books of stamps lol. I havent been back to that one since, but the one I currently use for parcels are not nice either so maybe a phone call about their attitude is needed too?

Might be worth you doing the same thing, and explaining how this affecting you and your business!

Message 45 of 74
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
first point of call is this page

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/complaints-and-feedback.html

from what i understand all LPOs are answerable to Australia Post and any complaints need to go to them

Haven't read the entire thread, but I have soooo been there ! It was a while ago now, and my local PO is fantastic, but in the past I actually asked one of the AP employee's - "Is a bad attitude and total lack of personality and commom courtesy a job requirement at AP"?. 

Above is correct, the sub agency is approved by A.Post and if they get enough complaints about one of their agency's they can and will offer it to another .

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 46 of 74
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
first point of call is this page

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/complaints-and-feedback.html

from what i understand all LPOs are answerable to Australia Post and any complaints need to go to them

Haven't read the entire thread, but I have soooo been there ! It was a while ago now, and my local PO is fantastic, but in the past I actually asked one of the AP employee's - "Is a bad attitude and total lack of personality and commom courtesy a job requirement at AP"?. 

Above is correct, the sub agency is approved by A.Post and if they get enough complaints about one of their agency's they can and will offer it to another .

Thanks, greencat! Looks like the way to go then. If the 'agency' is inside an established newsagent, how does that work then?

I don't think that will happen anytime soon with this place but it's nice to think about..

Message 47 of 74
Latest reply

I think there is some truth to the saying   'Going Postal'

The poor darls can't cope

Message 48 of 74
Latest reply

chezzy..... posting one day a week on Saturdays may result in a lowering of your DSRs and detrimental to your eBay business.

please do not let these rude people ruin your business.

make a complaint as many have already suggested, please....

and remember if you post on Saturday at a different PO,  that mail will not leave their building until MONDAY.   SO  if someone buys something from you on lets say Saturday afternoon.... it wont actually go into the mail system until NINE DAYS later?

would you, as a buyer be happy about that??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 49 of 74
Latest reply

Hi putney

There are ways I will try to get this working:

1) I will forewarn potential buyers that there may be delays in posting

and ask them to contact me (beforehand) if they have any concerns.

Am looking at placing this info at the top of the description - harder

to overlook that way

2) I am looking at Saturday postings as a "worst case scenario" for

larger items (am aware that they are likely to be cleared Monday).

I may sometimes have the chance to get to another Post Office by

close of business on some weekdays but I can't rely on this.

3) My items are not very competitive/common so I think most of my

buyers would be fairly accepting of the delays as they will have

limited opportunities of acquiring otherwise

4) potential delays I will work into the handling time. If I can despatch

quicker - GREAT!

5) At the end of the day I am just a casual seller and what I have

outlined above will probably work best for me in the meantime.

6) Forgot to mention that I will aim to have my listings end before Saturday,

better chance of them being paid for and ready to go before my posting day

Message 50 of 74
Latest reply