Seller issue

I recently sold a sewing machine to a buyer and clearly showed the accessories that went with it and stated no refunds.  I started it at a low price $50 because I wanted to sell it which attracted a lot of bidders.  Even though I just wanted a simple pick up, this one particular bidder was dead set on having it shipped to her so I agreed to cooperate with her sending a courier (as expected it was a pain as I had to wait at home for days for them to turn up) .  So she gets the machine for an absolute bargain and then downloads a manual which tells her that it should have more attachments.  She wants a refund.  I go looking for the attachments and find them (I'd forgotten I had them).  However I realise that the attachments would have gotten my item a much better price had I listed them.  In the meantime she's unpacked the items an tells me how she's spent so much time cleaning it up (it was fine when I sent it).  I don't really want it back now as a) I don't really have the time to deal with waiting around for a courier to deliver it back to me and b) it's not really in the same condition anymore as she's unpacked it and been fiddling with it.  I offer to send her the extra attachments for $60 incl postage.  She says no so I say $50 (still an absolute bargain but it seems nothing is going to make her happy at this stage).   I feel as though I've done everything right and bent over backwards to accommodate her but her last messge was pretty angry and  she is going to lodge a complaint.  Not sure what I've done wrong here?  

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Seller issue

Thank you to all of those who were helpful with my question.  

What no one seemed to pick up (that I found out after some investigation) is that since it as a 'local pick up' item and the buyer arranged her own courier to pick it up, it's not covered by Ebay's MBG.   So I have asked Ebay to step in and unless they want to go against their own Terms and Conditions, they will have to find in my favour.  

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

You can't actually rip someone off unless you misrepresent something.  She always had a choice - to buy or not to buy.  I would even have been happy to negotiate.  If she had done any of her own research she would have realised you can get those same parts on Amazon for $20.   I'm not a charity.  

Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

@countrygirldoggy wrote:

You can't actually rip someone off unless you misrepresent something.  She always had a choice - to buy or not to buy.  I would even have been happy to negotiate.  If she had done any of her own research she would have realised you can get those same parts on Amazon for $20.   I'm not a charity.  

LOL,  And there you go, you openly admit you tried to rip her off.  Amazon $20,  and you tried to screw her for 60.

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

Not sure why I'm replying to someone who obviously has a chip on his/her shoulder but you need to study English and maybe get some therapy since you are so bitter.  She never bought anything so she wasn't ripped off.  Not sorry because I never took money for anything, I just offered.  Actually I offered her $60 INCLUDING postage and she couldn't read either so she thought it was $60 PLUS postage, I then came down to $50 INCLUDING postage, hoping she'd take the hint to negotiate, but like you she had a chip on her shoulder as well.  

Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

Whatever happened to a seller being able to ask whatever they want for an item?

If a buyer wants it, they'll pay.

Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Whatever happened to a seller being able to ask whatever they want for an item?

If a buyer wants it, they'll pay.

Nothing wrong with that, and in this case the buyer was smarter than the person trying to rip them off.  Smart buyer. 

Did you really believe the story that they forgot they had the additional attachments,  its a typical scam,  sell an item, than try to add on the bits that I forgot I had for more than the item was worth.

It's seller like that who give Ebay a bad name.

Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

That is one heck of an accusation. 

Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

I'm not entirely convinced that the seller was trying to rip anyone off initially. The buyer seemed very rude in communication with the seller and a lot of people will try to "punish" bad behaviour even when it hurts them too. Especially when there is a strong emotional response.

In this situation both the buyer and the seller feel wronged/victimised and that makes it difficult to get a rational/equitable resolution.

Whatever the outcome I bet both parties will still feel hard done by and learn to be more bitter rather than learning how to reduce the risk of something similar happening in future

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

It really boils down to what was described in the listing.

The fact there were further accessories is irrelevant - the buyer purchased that which was described.

To expect more - a bit ridiculous.

Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

That is one heck of an accusation. 

Yes I agree it was most likely worded a little strongly.  It was more meant to be a warning for others,  but I think my wording was not 100%.

My apologies to the OP,  I am sure they are a fine upstanding member of Ebay with no adverse intentions.

Message 20 of 35
Latest reply