Seller issue

I recently sold a sewing machine to a buyer and clearly showed the accessories that went with it and stated no refunds.  I started it at a low price $50 because I wanted to sell it which attracted a lot of bidders.  Even though I just wanted a simple pick up, this one particular bidder was dead set on having it shipped to her so I agreed to cooperate with her sending a courier (as expected it was a pain as I had to wait at home for days for them to turn up) .  So she gets the machine for an absolute bargain and then downloads a manual which tells her that it should have more attachments.  She wants a refund.  I go looking for the attachments and find them (I'd forgotten I had them).  However I realise that the attachments would have gotten my item a much better price had I listed them.  In the meantime she's unpacked the items an tells me how she's spent so much time cleaning it up (it was fine when I sent it).  I don't really want it back now as a) I don't really have the time to deal with waiting around for a courier to deliver it back to me and b) it's not really in the same condition anymore as she's unpacked it and been fiddling with it.  I offer to send her the extra attachments for $60 incl postage.  She says no so I say $50 (still an absolute bargain but it seems nothing is going to make her happy at this stage).   I feel as though I've done everything right and bent over backwards to accommodate her but her last messge was pretty angry and  she is going to lodge a complaint.  Not sure what I've done wrong here?  

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seller issue

I actually do believe the OP when they said they forgot the other attachments.

If you haven't used something for a long time, there's a chance you'll forget.

I know I do - sometimes I forget what I did yesterday.

Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Or why I walked into a room!

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

It wasn't worded ' strongly ' - it was an accusation of being intentionally dishonest - which I don't think the OP is. IMHO

It is not necessary to be abrasive - harsh - it only takes a read - the seller put it all out there.

There are no limits to what a seller can ask - it all depends on the buyer - willing or not - do/don't buy.

And as an aside - I took the last sentence as sarcasm. lol

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

I bought a (relatively high end) Janome sewing machine from a local dealer a few months ago, before that I was looking around in the second hand market a bit.

If the unit OP was selling was around me at the time, I'd had bought it for such a low price and good quality.  OP's original sale included the buttonhole foot and a overedge foot, these alone are already quite rare. As most used sewing machine sellers absolutely don't include anything at all, many do not even test the machines. The very same model is still being sold for $325 untested by someone.

What the buyer missed are maybe the zipper foot and a few other things. They were not included in the original listing, so I don't know what makes her think she can simply demand.  She can either buy a generic replacement, or a genuine one from Janome, or the lot from OP for discounted prices.

Of course if buyer want to enjoy unboxing and count all the parts / presser feet / bobbins / thread cutter / free scissors, watch manual on a DVD player, she can spend a thousand dollars for a brand new one, like I did.

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Selling appliances without OEM "attachment" even when the manual says it should is a very common practice. Not only among second hand sellers, but also among official dealers for brand new items.

For example if I want to buy a "cannon camera" and if I search for "cannon camera body only" I'm going to see a lot of results from official dealers selling cannon cameras without lenses (hence body only).  Some will clarify it as in "camera kit box" which means you will get a "kit box" and the box will display there is a lens attached, but actually lens is not part of the purchase and inside the box where the lens should be, is empty.  So in these cases the dealers intentionally removed lens from the package and sell them for a much lower price, and this is just the standard practice.  Even if OP removed the presser feet intentionally, as long as the listing is not deceptive, it's totally fine.

Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

WTH - but carry on anyway. lol

Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Except that on Amazon, they would be be cheap Chinese knockoffs from a Chinese seller with AU or OZ in their user name.

They certainly wouldn't be OEM.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

I was going to stay out of this discussion, but have decided to join in.

I see it this way. If the OP has shown photos of what is included, THAT'S ALL THE BUYER IS GETTING. They shouldn't expect anything else, regardless of what came with it as new. The buyer is a putz. 

How often have we seen on here, someone buys a phone, and there is no charger. The listing states in capitals there is no charger included, but the buyer somehow thinks there should be, because they didn't read the description, and opens up an INAD......and sadly, sometimes win.

When my mother in law died around 10 years ago, I somehow ended up with her sewing machine and overlocker. I can't even sew a button on (thankfully hubby can, so he does that!). I decided to try and learn how to use the sewing machine (not overly successful), but didn't think I'd need the overlocker so advertised it for sale......as is.....complete with cotton reels all over the top of it, but nothing else.

Several years later I was going through her sewing boxes and found all these other bits for the overlocker. Interestingly, the buyer didn't demand anything else that wasn't in the ad. It was a used item, and they were stoked with what they got.

While some people think the OP is being a d1ck, it's actually they buyer being a d1ck because they didn't read the description. Another who thinks they are getting a brand new item that is in fact used, and listed as such.

Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Here is another example for you guys, where OEM parts were stripped away from brand new items.  OP's sewing machine included original default foot + 2 exchangeable feet and was accused for being a d*ck , can someone sell brand new machines without any feet at all? Of course they can.

rega planar 3

Turntables are like sewing machines. You have a relatively bulky machine with tiny inter changeable bits which are in contact with some flat material, different bits perform differently, like drills. In case of turntables, the bits are called cartridges and the tiny needles are called stylus.

This turntable's manual states the cartridge is factory fitted, it's absolutely required, and nowhere it mentions it being optional. Of course that makes sense, without a cartridge, the product can NOT make any sound.

However this is how it's sold, everyone is doing it:

thehifishop: Rega Elys 2 cartridge factory fitted (optional)

selby: Rega told them to stop doing that, so they removed it online, but you can still order the turntable without the cartridge by phone, LOL

audiotrends: Note: Cartridge Not Included

sightandsoundgalleria: You can select the "no cartridge" option

addictedtoaudio: Factory fitted Elys2 MM cartridge (optional).

How can a factory fitted part, that's absolutely essential for the product's working, being optional? It just is. Businesses need ways to be competitive. Selling items without certain parts for lower opens the market for buyers to bring their own. Even when the manufacturer discourages it, everyone is still doing it.

So, the OP did was absolutely a standard practice in the industry. There is not a single bit wrong with it.

Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

I'm like you, sons & daughters that I was going to stay out of it because I am a non sewer. I can do a bit of hand sewing, that's it.

My take on it though is that you wouldn't buy a second hand machine on ebay unless you did sew and if you did sew, you'd probably have a close look at the photos in the ad, to see what was included and what condition the machine & bits and pieces looked to be in.

The ad specifically says-accesories as shown-including zipper attachment.

To me, that is always a hint that you're only getting the accessories shown in the ad. You're not necessarily getting every  accessory available for that thing, whatever it is. It's a second hand machine so you can't take it for granted that every original extra will be there.

The time to google and find out what this machine originally came with and to ask questions about anything not in the photos was before buying.

I feel for this seller because I remember once my sister & I sold something-I even forget what it was exactly. We took clear photos of it. We never implied there was anything else with it. It was something like a wine decanter? I forget exactly. 

Then the buyer later said they expected such and such to come with it. Something totally unrelated (in our minds). My sister just replied and said had it included that, we would have mentioned it and added a photo of it.

We were not intentionally misleading anyone. I don't believe countrygirl was either.

Unfortunately, the waters have been muddied by all the later messages about selling the extra bits.

Personally, I would not refer to those again, just keep any discussion to the original transaction & the fact the ads said accessories as shown and there were several photos of what was included. And that the buyer receievd absolutely everything in the photos. That the pieces she is complaining about as missing were never mentioned or shown in the original ad.

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply