Seller issue

I recently sold a sewing machine to a buyer and clearly showed the accessories that went with it and stated no refunds.  I started it at a low price $50 because I wanted to sell it which attracted a lot of bidders.  Even though I just wanted a simple pick up, this one particular bidder was dead set on having it shipped to her so I agreed to cooperate with her sending a courier (as expected it was a pain as I had to wait at home for days for them to turn up) .  So she gets the machine for an absolute bargain and then downloads a manual which tells her that it should have more attachments.  She wants a refund.  I go looking for the attachments and find them (I'd forgotten I had them).  However I realise that the attachments would have gotten my item a much better price had I listed them.  In the meantime she's unpacked the items an tells me how she's spent so much time cleaning it up (it was fine when I sent it).  I don't really want it back now as a) I don't really have the time to deal with waiting around for a courier to deliver it back to me and b) it's not really in the same condition anymore as she's unpacked it and been fiddling with it.  I offer to send her the extra attachments for $60 incl postage.  She says no so I say $50 (still an absolute bargain but it seems nothing is going to make her happy at this stage).   I feel as though I've done everything right and bent over backwards to accommodate her but her last messge was pretty angry and  she is going to lodge a complaint.  Not sure what I've done wrong here?  

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seller issue

Sure but there is a difference between sewing machines and record players in that the feet of a sewing machine perform about the same regardless of whether the are metal or plastic, although metal usually last longer.

However there is a difference in sound quality between regular factory stylus and diamond or sapphire stylus . Some people have the auditory discernment to tell the difference, some don't. Some people can afford the upgrade, some can't. So it kinda makes sense to sell the stylus separately.

To s&d and springy, I agree the buyer had unrealistic expectations and things got messy from there on. 

Will b interesting to see how it all pans out. I hope OP lets us know eBay's decision on the matter.

Message 31 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

@cam-2793 wrote:

Sure but there is a difference between sewing machines and record players in that the feet of a sewing machine perform about the same regardless of whether the are metal or plastic, although metal usually last longer.

Any idea which Janome foot is plastic? I am looking at janomesewing.com.au they all seem to be metal. There are a few plastic parts which are not feet but attachments onto metal feet.

However there is a difference in sound quality between regular factory stylus and diamond or sapphire stylus . Some people have the auditory discernment to tell the difference, some don't. Some people can afford the upgrade, some can't. So it kinda makes sense to sell the stylus separately.

Which "regular factory stylus" is not diamond? Even the $43 Audio-Technica ATN95E stylus has black diamond on it.  All Rega factory stylus are diamond too (including the cheapest $55 Rega carbon). I have 5 turntables, never heard of any non diamond stylus from any manufacturer.  Please let me know, thanks.

Message 32 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

How often have we seen on here, someone buys a phone, and there is no charger. The listing states in capitals there is no charger included, but the buyer somehow thinks there should be, because they didn't read the description, and opens up an INAD......and sadly, sometimes win.

My 2 cents. Hopefully this is the last post guys.  About the 2nd hand market for such items.

Of course we believe when we buy a TV it will come with a stand, a washing machine with pipes, a fridge with baskets / containers etc. Same thing with phone with charger. Laptop with power adapter etc. Everyday mainstream consumer products, this is what we believe. Nothing wrong with it.

But for niche products, such as a sewing machine, or a camera DSLR, a turntable. There is a market for additional parts / components which involve efforts and hence certain costs attributed (these costs can be very high sometimes).  These components hold values on their own and they are usually NOT included as part of a sale unless specified. From value perspective, the opposite can also happen when original components hold negative value and owner upgraded / discarded the original components and threw them away. Again the fact they are niche products means owners usually spend more.

Last example for you guys, if we use computers for example.

Alienware Aurora   (the egg shaped computers)

Dell will recommend you to buy an Alienware keyboard + mouse as part of the purchase, if not they throw a standard Dell keyboard + mouse for free. So on the box will say either the Alienware keyboard + mouse or standard Dell keyboard + mouse included.

However,  when I searched on eBay for used Alienware Aurora, only 1 out of 10 Alienware Aurora listings include the keyboard + mouse. 9 out of 10 do not. Should I download a manual from Dell and demand sellers to send me the keyboard + mouse too? Or should I threaten to file a dispute? Or should I even think about these sellers being dishonest ? Of course not. When you buy a standard PC, a keyboard and mouse is usually included.  For an Alienware Aurora, owner usually either keep their Alienware keyboard, or they threw away the original Dell one and got a high standard replacement themselves.

Hopefully this is all. I only spoke about stuff I own and personal experiences. To argue it's absurd to even consider OP should have all original components included. Both from new product and used product perspective. Whether OP choose such arrange on purpose or she forgot to include them at the first place is completely irreverent. She had the right to sell her stuff however she wants. Have a good long weekend guys.

Message 33 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

Oh for heavens sake stick with the sewing machine.

There were numerous pics of what was offered.

End of.

Message 34 of 35
Latest reply

Seller issue

@huatao1975 wrote:

Hopefully this is all. I only spoke about stuff I own and personal experiences. To argue it's absurd to even consider OP should have all original components included. Both from new product and used product perspective. Whether OP choose such arrange on purpose or she forgot to include them at the first place is completely irreverent. 

LOL - let's hope.

Message 35 of 35
Latest reply