Strange Buyer ID

Yesterday we had a buyer buy two different items using two different IDs but the mailing address was identical so its the same person.

The user IDs are a long string of weird letters/numbers but not quite identical.

We packed and mailed those items out yesterday so she would not have received them just yet.

Now this morning we have yet another order from the same person but under yet another variant of the same weird ID.

All these userIDs show a ZERO FB score.

It could be purchases made as a guest I'm thinking and perhaps nothing to be concerned about.

But on the other hand I'm wondering if we could be being setup for something down track. We use regular mail so no tracking and the items are all under $10 each.

Anyone have any thoughts on this kind of activity.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Strange Buyer ID

I'd say guest IDs, at least you have an address, often they don't even include that. I'd just treat them as you would any order and don't worry about it, the worst may never happen.
Cheers,

Penny

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

From what I can see, eBay don't exclude eBay guests from the MBG, but they do exclude those who use PayPal as a guest, as do PayPal, so if the buyer only used eBay as a guest, they would likely be able to open either an MBG or PayPal case, but they wouldn't be able to open either if they used PayPal as a guest (with or without going on to open a PayPal account with the same details - you used to be able to, but now you have to log into an account to pay in order to be eligible for PayPal buyer protection). Well, actually they probably could open an MBG request, but not have it decided in their favour if it was escalated to a case.

eBay guest buyers can't leave feedback, either, unless they go on to create an account. 

The downside is if a buyer uses PayPal as a guest, there's no seller protection, either, so chargebacks remain a danger. (You can check whether the buyer logged into a PayPal account on the payment details - where it would normally say "the sender of this payment is non US - Verified", the verified will be replaced with "Unregistered"). 

I get this sometimes, so far so good, I think a new 'ID' is created either each time they checkout, or for each session, so if they pay separately for something, it gets a new ID. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Strange Buyer ID

I'd say guest IDs, at least you have an address, often they don't even include that. I'd just treat them as you would any order and don't worry about it, the worst may never happen.
Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

cq_tech
Community Member
Apart from your normal security procedures which we've discussed previously, are you taking photographs of your letters after the stamps have been cancelled at the PO, which as you know is accepted by Paypal as proof of delivery? If so, even if somebody is trying something dodgy you should be more than adequately covered.
Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

Haven't got the time and energy to go look but is ebay buyer protection not the same as Paypal where you can only make a clain if you have an account? With Paypal you can use it as a guest and if there is a problem open an account with the same email address but if it is the same for ebay it would be a lot of trouble for ten bucks. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

CQ: We haven't photographed them as we are turning out 20 envelopes per day on average. Would take up an inordinate amount of time to take pics at the PO each day. Around 40x at Xmas time rush. Those standing in the queue behind us would be very grumpy indeed. LOL.

So we just drop them into our local red street box with all our usual other stuff in place as you say.

PJ: That could well be true. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this may care to comment on that point.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

yep looks strange but could be 3 different people living in 1 house but if its to the same name thats a different story i would contact ebay for advice under there not delivered policy   sending envelope , you have no leg to stand on without tracking  even with photos . you only have to read the other post with the seller the queenslander he took photos but the buyer got paid and the money was taken from the sellers account he did get his money back but he was told this is a one off  , but sending 3 parcels it could be a worry even if ebay give you back i payment  plus the deficit points   [  now thats if you think this is a type of scam]  good luck

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

From what I can see, eBay don't exclude eBay guests from the MBG, but they do exclude those who use PayPal as a guest, as do PayPal, so if the buyer only used eBay as a guest, they would likely be able to open either an MBG or PayPal case, but they wouldn't be able to open either if they used PayPal as a guest (with or without going on to open a PayPal account with the same details - you used to be able to, but now you have to log into an account to pay in order to be eligible for PayPal buyer protection). Well, actually they probably could open an MBG request, but not have it decided in their favour if it was escalated to a case.

eBay guest buyers can't leave feedback, either, unless they go on to create an account. 

The downside is if a buyer uses PayPal as a guest, there's no seller protection, either, so chargebacks remain a danger. (You can check whether the buyer logged into a PayPal account on the payment details - where it would normally say "the sender of this payment is non US - Verified", the verified will be replaced with "Unregistered"). 

I get this sometimes, so far so good, I think a new 'ID' is created either each time they checkout, or for each session, so if they pay separately for something, it gets a new ID. 

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@digital*ghost wrote:

That is cracking information!! So what would you do, if for instance you do get a buyer that shows up as 'unregistered'? We as sellers should really be able to have the option of blocking unregistered accounts from PayPal too, the scales are so far out of whack it is going to hid us on the head!!

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

Clarry, if you're a bit suss on some buyers, and seeing you self-insure,

photocopy the envelopes and then get the P.O. to stamp the photocopy

when you take the letters in for ancellation.

You should get 4 to a page,  and the P.O shouldn't see this as a bother

and it won't hold up the queue.

Or  get the stamps cancelled and then ask for them to be photocopied

(again 4 to a page)

They won't mind that, as you have to pay for the photocopy.

Just as good as a photo IMO

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@joethenuts wrote:

yep looks strange but could be 3 different people living in 1 house but if its to the same name thats a different story i would contact ebay for advice under there not delivered policy   sending envelope , you have no leg to stand on without tracking  even with photos . you only have to read the other post with the seller the queenslander he took photos but the buyer got paid and the money was taken from the sellers account he did get his money back but he was told this is a one off  , but sending 3 parcels it could be a worry even if ebay give you back i payment  plus the deficit points   [  now thats if you think this is a type of scam]  good luck

Regarding the queenslander who was told by eBay when his money was refunded that it was a "one-off", that's complete and utter BS on eBay's part. Do you honestly believe that eBay would refund him if they weren't obliged to by law? They only told him it was a one-off so it wouldn't become common knowledge that what eBay are demanding by way of proof of delivery is illegal under AU Consumer Law. Just like Paypal, they are legally obliged to accept deemed delivery as proof of delivery. The fact is that under the Sale of Goods Act their terms are illegal and therefore null and void, and a complaint to the FOS would have forced them to refund if they hadn't done so voluntarily.

Don't bother arguing the point because you clearly have no idea, and I'm not the least bit interested in hearing what you think, which is quite obviously based purely on what you read in this forum. I'm not even asking you to take my word for it. What I will do however is suggest that you read up on the relevant Consumer Law before confusing the issue any further.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply