Strange Buyer ID

Yesterday we had a buyer buy two different items using two different IDs but the mailing address was identical so its the same person.

The user IDs are a long string of weird letters/numbers but not quite identical.

We packed and mailed those items out yesterday so she would not have received them just yet.

Now this morning we have yet another order from the same person but under yet another variant of the same weird ID.

All these userIDs show a ZERO FB score.

It could be purchases made as a guest I'm thinking and perhaps nothing to be concerned about.

But on the other hand I'm wondering if we could be being setup for something down track. We use regular mail so no tracking and the items are all under $10 each.

Anyone have any thoughts on this kind of activity.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Strange Buyer ID

@joethenuts wrote:

very simple you can argue what you think that ebay is going against the law  there are posts going back 4 months about we are going to thhe fos and the law and stuff , but has the paypal 21 day policy gone has the ebay buyer protection gone [no] [no] there is a reason why policys change think about it [i dont have to agree with all there policys and i dont agree with these but its there site and if you wanna play in it thats there rules , no good arguing about the law as there are too many floors in it, and thats why these policys are still there  and if you want to believe the bearded one thats why he is selling cups and suses on ebay and not earning $750 an hour as a layer.

How do you know he's not earning $750/hr as a "layer" (sic)? Not everyone on here sells on eBay as a full time job. There are plenty of people where this is just a part time affair to earn a bit of pocket money. I originally started selling as I had bought all this stuff with intentions of making jewellery and selling it at the local markets. I never got around to creating and the local markets shut down. It made sense to sell it off. I am still offloading some of that stuff.

I collect mineral specimens. Now, I will buy multiple of the same thing, keep the best ones for myself and then sell the rest off. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are good ones by the photos, which is why I buy a few. I work full time outside of eBay and work far more overtime than I would like. I could never earn on eBay what I earn in my regular job.

It's not smart to assume that there are no high income workers on here who's high income comes from outside of eBay, because I can tell you, there are plenty. Quite a few of my high income colleagues sell part time on eBay.

Message 21 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@cq_tech wrote:

However, eBay's MBG is a real can of worms because it appears that they are providing a form of insurance while not licensed to do so, and it is up to the ACCC to do something about it and I wouldn't mind betting that eBay's actions are being investigated as I speak.

I agree that the eBay MBG is a can of worms in terms of how it interferes, and may undermine, the actual contract between the seller and buyer.

Nonetheless, IMO eBay are providing a goods and service guarantee over and above other legislated consumer protections, it is not a "product" in its own right and the guarantee is provided at no direct cost to the buyer.

Lots of companies and businesses provide money back guarantees for goods and/or services and they are not required to be licensed as an insurance company to do so. 

Closer to topic - Clarry everything you describe supports buyer has used guest IDs to purchase.  Enjoy the sales Cat Happy 

Message 22 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

The problem is that eBay are not providing a goods and service guarantee over and above other legislated consumer protections but are forcing their sellers to do so instead, and when it comes to guaranteeing 2nd hand items from private individuals, they simply don't have the legal right to insist that such sellers offer a 180 day guarantee, particularly when the Sale of Goods Act directly contradicts what eBay says.

In addition, by doing so (with regards to business sellers), they are in effect acting as an "insurance agent". Ebay is only a venue (as they so often remind us) and neither sell nor own any of the items being sold via their site, so what gives them the legal right to provide a 180 day guarantee on items over which they don't, and never have had any legitimate control?
Message 23 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@joethenuts wrote:

very simple you can argue what you think that ebay is going against the law  there are posts going back 4 months about we are going to thhe fos and the law and stuff , but has the paypal 21 day policy gone has the ebay buyer protection gone [no] [no] there is a reason why policys change think about it [i dont have to agree with all there policys and i dont agree with these but its there site and if you wanna play in it thats there rules , no good arguing about the law as there are too many floors in it, and thats why these policys are still there  

Joe... what if eBay decided to change tactics? What if, instead, they decided to introduce a new policy that stated any buyer purchasing from ebay forgoes any and all consumer rights that the law would otherwise provide them?

Would anyone, at all, anywhere, say "but it's their site, so their rules"?

eBay and PayPal's policies aren't as clear cut as that, but I also think a big difference is that buyer advocacy is significantly more prevalent and effective than seller advocacy, so a change like that just wouldn't fly. 

Message 24 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@digital*ghost wrote:

Joe... what if eBay decided to change tactics? What if, instead, they decided to introduce a new policy that stated any buyer purchasing from ebay forgoes any and all consumer rights that the law would otherwise provide them?

Would anyone, at all, anywhere, say "but it's their site, so their rules"?

eBay and PayPal's policies aren't as clear cut as that, but I also think a big difference is that buyer advocacy is significantly more prevalent and effective than seller advocacy, so a change like that just wouldn't fly. 

Sorry, I just realised I didn't even clarify the reason for my post, or the point I was trying to make... 

What I meant to highlight is that people are discussing the legalities of the policies because that's the entire point... I mean, it's not just people going "I don't wanna refund buyers and eBay can't make me!"  - the laws that are supposed to govern acceptable policies presumably exist to try and protect everyone in a fair way, buyer and seller alike. If policies compromise the protections and/or rights that either are meant to have, then there's a problem, no matter whether the company that introduces the policy (and more importantly, how they enact it) can get away with it. 

Message 25 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

what a lot of people have to understand is a lot of laws have so many flaws in it ,what they say is illegal but if you go 10 more pages there is a law yhayt ststes but its not ilegal if bla bla is used , i will give you a simple law.

i will say in plain english a person cannot exess funds from your bank account without your permission  [fair enough] but keep clicking thru the pages and there is a but  another bank that you are not involed with can access your account take money out without your permision     and we know this practise as CHARGEBACKS ,  dont get me wrong i do not like the 21 day paypal thing  but after all these lawa and omulbansman and talk 5 months down the road its still here policy as the ebay policy ,  either they have the answeres on the law oe what ever 

Message 26 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

like it or not also money talks   how much is ebay or paypal worth on paper   has any body got a rough idea  and how many members around the world do they have  just for interest

Message 27 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

Sorry, but you obviously do not understand chargebacks either.

The buyer's bank does not take money from your account.....paypal does.

The buyer's bank applies to paypal for a refund of the payment for whatever reason the buyer has given them.   If paypal decides it is a legitimate reason they give the money back and then seek to recover it from the seller is the seller is not covered by Seller Protection.

If the seller qualifies for Protection then paypal wears the refund, not the seller.

Message 28 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

@joethenuts wrote:

, i will give you a simple law.

i will say in plain english a person cannot exess funds from your bank account without your permission  [fair enough] but keep clicking thru the pages and there is a but  another bank that you are not involed with can access your account take money out without your permision     and we know this practise as CHARGEBACKS , 

These are actually two separate issues, so there will be separate laws surrounding individual scenarios, and they don't always complement each other. 

When you sign a contract with a payment processor, you grant them certain permissions to take certain actions under certain circumstances, but all of that has to be governed by law. 

To put it another way, say I go knocking at the door of my friends house with a bunch of freshly baked muffins. They love muffins, so they say "you know what, you can come over any time you like to bring me muffins". Let's say for some reason I just really like baking muffuins and giving them away, so I keep doing it, and my friend is all like "if I'm not home, use this key to leave the muffins on my kitchen table".

Now I have explicit permission from my friend to enter their house when they're not home, but only to leave muffins on their kitchen table, in fact, they said I'm not allowed to do anything else at all. So, if I go over to their house when they're not home and use ingredients in their kitchen to bake more muffins, I'm doing something they gave me the ability to do, but I'm not doing something I'm allowed to do... 

I dunno if that will make anything clearer or confuse matters, but now I'm hungry... Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 36
Latest reply

Strange Buyer ID

i am talking about a standard bank anz bom com  and so  if a customer from lets say anz   says this charge on my card i did not make  the anz will come to your bank and take those funds from your account and it does not matter which bank and that is 100% correct 

i was not talking about paypal  just clarifing that laws have flaws in it   and you can ask any bank manager in australia   its also an agreement they have between all banks to stop paperwork

Message 30 of 36
Latest reply