obligatory Powerseller classification

I am outraged at what ebay has done by making me a power seller with out my consent, I've phoned customer support and let them have it, I'm now considering opening another account or more and alternating between them to avoid the power seller classification, what other company disadvantages their regular uses like this, specifically not being given the option of 30 free listings.

DON'T ACCEPT THIS, phone customer support and voice your dissatisfaction.
Message 1 of 89
Latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: obligatory Powerseller classification

PJ - while I can appreciate your sarcasm, I still don't see the advantage of being 'granted' PS status. I checked the site map and the so-called advantages of being a PS are stated as

PowerSellers enjoy special benefits, including:

Priority customer support

PowerSeller best practice discussion board

Now what on earth is 'priority customer support'? - which I couldn't find explained anywhere - and whooppee-do, I can join some select PS discussion forum. (Judging by the problems I always have when trying to post replies on this forum - having to log out, log in, log in ad infinitum), I don't believe I'm missing out on too much.

Is one of the advantages of being a PS is that your listings come up higher if sorted by best match? I've been a buyer here for over 6 years, and if I want to buy something (and it's usually something specific) I NEVER use 'best match' as it never seems to actually be a best match. I sort on other criteria.

Jensmanchester

I don't intend to make a busines out of selling on ebay. I just want to sell items of some value from around my home that are no longer wanted (and that of some family members and friends). One of the reasons I stopped selling on ebay for quite a while was that I had to pay over $1 per item even if the item didn't sell. Since the sell rate was always quite low, it often meant after paying FVFs and PP fees that I didn't even break even. At least having 30 free listings allows some profit. Why would I sell otherwise?

I think one of the latest posts pointed out that there are two types of sellers here - probably three. The hobby sellers like me, the power sellers who obviously want to make a business out of selling on ebay and then there are the B&M shops - both Aussie and OS ones -  that seem to have taken to using ebay to sell in a big way.

To me, being successful on ebay is not a matter of how many items you sell, but how many of the items you list actually sell.

Message 61 of 89
Latest reply

egglesdtp - I fully understand where you are coming from re selling bits and pieces from around the home but at the end of the day eBay are providing you with a venue to advertise your wares and therefore, after a certain level of selling is reached, there is a cost for the advertising.

You can always open another ID or you can friends can also open their own eBay account to take advantage of the free listings.

Ebay also have the gumtree site which may be worthwhile looking at particularly for any local pick up items. There are no fees to list and sell on Gumtree.

Message 62 of 89
Latest reply

I dont think its right that you out someones selling ID when they post with their posting ID, I know pjs selling ID but i would never out it.

Message 63 of 89
Latest reply

throwing in my opinion....

I personally cant see the benifit of being a power seller. Im aware of the stated benifets but dont buy it at all. The thing is, 30 free listing per month is perfect for me, I can manage them fine without getting ebay-itis, but that powerseller status comes around too easily and then whammo, no free listings. Obviously using a few iD's is the best option.

As a buyer i will look for the best deal. If a new seller undercuts a powerseller marginally, I will buy from the new seller every time. All the powerselling badges in the world and 100% feedbacks mean nothing because of the buyer protection I have..

I'm not shy about leaving negs when warrented. More so now it is becoming common for savy sellers to simply make defamation claims to ebay and the negs are removed, also any sign of a problem transaction and a refund is given, removing your chance to neg. Using feedback when contemplating a purchase is now irrelevant to me.

Everyone should get 30 free listing per month regardless!!:-D

Message 64 of 89
Latest reply

I dont think its right that you out someones selling ID when they post with their posting ID, I know pjs selling ID but i would never out it.

Thanks Sassy but it really doesn't bother me. I use a posting id as many years ago some numpty posters who didn't like what I said started reporting my posts for advertising, as I don't need to post on the boards to sell successfully it was no problem starting to use a posting id. Everytime somebody thnks they are being clever by outing my selling id I usually get an increase in sales B-)

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 65 of 89
Latest reply

OMG - It's mid March and I've been selling so much lately that I have had to start 2 new IDs already this year!

Just to spread the sales, so I can save 40c (will be 20c after May 2nd) for each listing fee.

I cannot save that 40c on my non-PS and non-Stores IDs. WOW, eBay is such a rip off. I know why nobody bothers buying or selling here.

Everyone needs to start an online petition, and complain to the ACCC, The Ombudsman and Judge Judy.

[/sarcasm off]

Message 66 of 89
Latest reply

As a buyer i will look for the best deal. If a new seller undercuts a powerseller marginally, I will buy from the new seller every time. All the powerselling badges in the world and 100% feedbacks mean nothing because of the buyer protection I have..

A buyer should never buy anything based on the assumption that if something goes wrong Paypal will look after them.

If a buyer receives an item they consider to be not as described there is no guarantee from Paypal that they will rule in their favour. Even if they do the process can be quite a long and drawn out affair.

As from late January this year for Items not Received buyers are also not necessarily covered by Paypal if the seller can provide valid proof of shipment.

If the seller has provided valid Proof of Shipment in relation to an Item Not Received claim, you may not be eligible and we recommend that you obtain postage insurance to avoid misdirected postage.

The greatest protection you have when trading on ebay is the honesty and integrity of your trading partner.

Message 67 of 89
Latest reply

The greatest protection you have when trading on ebay is the honesty and integrity of your trading partner.

Unfortunately a lot of Power Sellers (not you Jen) lost heaps of trust with buyers many years ago, due to the dreadful way that they treated customers with problems. It did a lot of damage to eBay as a whole, and many buyers (including me) vowed to never by from PS if possible.

Luckily, eBay have finally tightened things up and a lot of the shonks are gone now, due to the DSR ratings and other initiatives. But there is a lot of very powerful (high $$ for eBay) PS who offer dreadful service but still remain, and a lot of people are extremely wary of taking the risk of buying from them (once bitten twice shy).

I think part ofthe problem is that buyers expect better service from "power sellers" because eBay promotes them as "trusted"... but in reality many of these big sellers may not have a customer service-based business model. The Top Rated Seller program may help, but it's really only about initial delivery times... where the PS tend to fail is in AFTER sales service.

I realise that my comments are extremely generalised and stereotyped, so please consider them general observations. Of course the majority of PS are excellent, but a few bad apples can cause the whole group to be labelled.

Message 68 of 89
Latest reply

AGREED!

including postage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 69 of 89
Latest reply

30 free listings every month..

i sold 0 last month with 30 listings.-_- haha ~

Message 70 of 89
Latest reply