obligatory Powerseller classification

I am outraged at what ebay has done by making me a power seller with out my consent, I've phoned customer support and let them have it, I'm now considering opening another account or more and alternating between them to avoid the power seller classification, what other company disadvantages their regular uses like this, specifically not being given the option of 30 free listings.

DON'T ACCEPT THIS, phone customer support and voice your dissatisfaction.
Message 1 of 89
Latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

30 free listings every month..

i sold 0 last month with 30 listings.-_- haha ~

I've sold most of my free listings this month and last month.. just a matter of having the items buyers want / at a price they are willing to pay I think.

Message 71 of 89
Latest reply

OMG not another one! will they ever stop buying my things, what am i going to do ๐Ÿ˜

Waiting, waiting, will i hear the ding of another sale?????

Sexy*harley*chick, I have often viewed your site after reading one of your posts and you very obviously know how to make eBay work for you. Was it hard for you when you first started and did you have any doubts if it would work? I have basically been a buyer but would like to start selling and would appreciate any advice.

Message 72 of 89
Latest reply

sydneyfats
Community Member

I to just received the great honor of becoming a powerseller! I saw your post but still phoned as i was offered the 30 free listings from 1/10/12 to 1/11/12, they made me a powerseller on the 20th when i had only used 11 free listings with 19 remaining. it actually still appears on my selling/sold page that i have 19 free listings remaining for the time period but was charged insertion fee. Called up and asked for a credit for the insertion fee  and for them to honor the offer of 30 free listings for october and got the response that it is system generated and nothing could be done which is what i expected!

Message 73 of 89
Latest reply

I got made a power seller and i don't want it now i am stuck with it i guess ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 74 of 89
Latest reply

I am only a buyer on ebay so dont know the ins and outs of selling on ebay .

But as a buyer, what concerns me, is that when i browse sales, auction or buy it now, and i see a " Power Seller " status. I was under the misapprehension that the person has done a lot to earn that status, kept their stars up offered good customer service, and built up a reputation and relationship with ebay.

But reading this thread, as a buyer, I am now led to believe that when i see the " Power Seller " status, it means absolutely nothing to me as a buyer. It is all about the dealings between ebay and the seller and the fee's charged. 

So to me from now on " Power Seller " has no relevance to my decision when i make a purchase, and will not sway me buying from one buyer over another. 

Message 75 of 89
Latest reply

I would agree with that.

However in order to be a powerseller a member must meet specific criteria re feedback, low DSRs, number of items sold and their value.

So not totally about listing fees.

Message 76 of 89
Latest reply

that might be true davewil, but just from reading this thread, it would appear that the power seller status , is less too do with how a seller performs with buyers and more about how they perform with ebay.

yes the stars are important, but i always considered a power seller to be someone who had been on ebay for a considerable amount of time, and sold 100's and 100's if not 1000's of items without much incident.

but going by this thread people who sell less than 30 items a month are now considered to be a power seller

i dont know when it has changed, but i do remember seeing the Power Seller logo and seeing super high transactions for that seller, numbers like 1 or 2 thousand if not 10,000 or 20,000.

I suppose i havent given it much thought lately and havent been observant when buying from with the exception of checking negative feedback.

But thanks to this thread i am now aware, it isnt what i thought it was.

Message 77 of 89
Latest reply

I got made a power seller and i don't want it now i am stuck with it i guess ๐Ÿ˜ž

Yes, now you are a power seller and a top rated seller, you are stuck with higher search results in best match, thats no good. :^O

-- A
Message 78 of 89
Latest reply

it would appear that the power seller status , is less too do with how a seller performs with buyers and more about how they perform with ebay.

That's true, at least in part, but Power Seller status is no longer made apparent to buyers. There used to be a symbol that was shown to on a seller's profile and listings that indicated they were a Power Seller, but now that it is no longer relevant to a buyer's purchase decision, you'll find it's not visible to them anywhere.

Top Rated Seller status is now the only visual indicator of a seller's standing with buyers that's any kind of "achievement", I suppose. It's based entirely on the DSRs a seller has received after all the other criteria has been met, including gaining the now invisible Power Seller status. (In other words, every top rated seller is a Power Seller, but not every Power Seller is a Top Rated Seller....)

Message 79 of 89
Latest reply

Ebay introduced the free listings to allow sellers to have a chance to see if they liked the idea of selling on ebay.

If they thought ebay was a suitable venue to sell their items, whether they be new items or bits and pieces from around the home, once a seller reached a certain level they were no longer eligible for the free listings. Ebay have called this level the Powerseller Level. They could have called it Level 1 or Green level or any other name but it all means is that sellers have reached a certain level of selling.

Once they have reached that level it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they think eBay is the right platform to sell their goods. 

They can choose to stop selling or they can choose to sell at the level they have reached which means paying listing fees. 

It is no different, for example, when a gym offers 1 month free membership as a trial period so the customer can see whether or not they think this is suitable for them.

After the trial period is over the customer has the choice of either paying a membership fee to continue to use the gym or if they decide that the gym is not what they want they no longer use it.

This. Very well said Jen ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 80 of 89
Latest reply