To buy or not to buy?

So I've got a very formal event coming up in October and I've started looking at dresses. The dress I wore last year was ok, but it wasn't very comfortable and I want something really stunning for this year.

I've found a beautiful dress, it's in Australia which is a plus, it's only $180 (excluding postage), but the seller has 99.6% feedback. I wouldn't mind except the seller has left really horrible feedback for people who left negatives. I'm not saying that I'd leave a negative (thanks for teaching me that lesson, everyone) but I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right.

Also, it's strapless, and because I don't wear strapless dresses, I'd have to add sheer gathered sleeves or something. Is it too much trouble?

Its such a shame cause I really like this dress! Part of me says go for it, buy it, and I can return it if it's not right. But then part of me says don't risk it. So, to buy or not to buy, that is the question...

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To buy or not to buy?

@jessicadazzler wrote:

So I've got a very formal event coming up in October and I've started looking at dresses. The dress I wore last year was ok, but it wasn't very comfortable and I want something really stunning for this year.

I've found a beautiful dress, it's in Australia which is a plus, it's only $180 (excluding postage), but the seller has 99.6% feedback. I wouldn't mind except the seller has left really horrible feedback for people who left negatives. I'm not saying that I'd leave a negative (thanks for teaching me that lesson, everyone) but I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right.

Also, it's strapless, and because I don't wear strapless dresses, I'd have to add sheer gathered sleeves or something. Is it too much trouble?

Its such a shame cause I really like this dress! Part of me says go for it, buy it, and I can return it if it's not right. But then part of me says don't risk it. So, to buy or not to buy, that is the question...

but I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right

I have found that trusting gut feelings is the way to go.

I'd have to add sheer gathered sleeves or something

Modifying the dress, or even trying to modify the dress, and you can not make a later claim as you are unable to return the dress in the same condition as it was when received.

Part of me says go for it, buy it, and I can return it if it's not right

Buyers having an "I can return it" attitude and then proceeding to buy is what a lot of sellers feel is a failing in eBay nowadays.

Ask questions before buying until you feel 100% confident in the dress.  If, after asking questions, you still have that niggle then do not buy!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

To buy or not to buy?

jessicadazzler -

firstly, let's hope that seller didn't read your previous posts on the boards and placed you already on their BBL!

That would certainly eliminate your dillema to buy or not to buy.

As for asking everyone else weather to buy something that only you are the best judge of - can't see how anyone can possibly give you a valid answer.

For my part, here goes:

A strapless formal dress is just about the most glamorous attire a woman can wear - and you want to add sleeves????!!!!  NO

Also, no, you can't just return it unless it's faulty or seller accepts returns for the change of mind.

But then again, as you are a seller - nothing stopping you re- selling it.

Don't know what replies seller left to negs - but what ever it is it doesn't surprise me - I think that by now all sellers would have had a gut full of carp with this ridiculous f/back system where no one has to justify anything (buyers) - so heaps of them are well past caring what they say in response - sellers are merely expressing how they feel about the transaction - just the same as buyer do!

Both parties are entitled to their opinions - according to Ebay.

Message 2 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

to jess  i have no idea on dresses but if you are asking for an opinion surely you would put down the item number, its very hard to give you an opinion without seeing it, for other posters views.

its no different than the message i got last night, 

picture of the brown  color paint .item .it went like this .hi joethenuts i am looking at painting my back security door ,do you think this color paint will match my back door,  thanks .

Message 3 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

First off, someone mentioned strapless dresses are glamorous.

Yes they are, but they are definitely not for everyone, they can look absolutely hideous.

I have a daughter, very small build, who looks pitiful in strapless (all bony) but great in something with a strap or sleeve to break it.

So one style doesn't suit all. I can understand jessica may want alterations for one reason or another.

Here is what I gathered from jessica's post.

1. The seller allows return for change of mind.

2. Jessica is feeling worried about some aspect of this transaction.

You know what, Jessica, if you are after formal & comfortable & stylish, no, don't risk ebay.

Go into ferrari or pretty woman or any of the other formal wear stores, try the styles on, see how they look and feel. Some of those places may sell bridesmaids type dresses but they come in long & short & are also good for formal occasions.

If you like something, they usually have a person who does alterations and they can arrange it for you.

Best of all, they often also have sales, or at least a sale rack.

I don't know where you live but if it is in Melbourne, there are a dozen places you can go where they have clearance lines & one offs of name brand formal wear.

$180 isn't a bargain if it doesn't look right.

Message 4 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Thanks for your reply, you've been really helpful.

I've been thinking about it all afternoon and have pretty much talked myself out of buying it. Like you said, the ideal solution is to simply go into a proper dress shop. The only thing I can think of is the day before the event I'm travelling through some towns - they might have dress shops, but then I don't want to waste hours searching for a dress 😞 And then I guess that really puts the pressure on, cause then I *have* to find one that day.

Mmm, will have to think about it some more.
Message 5 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

@fixnwear wrote:

jessicadazzler -

firstly, let's hope that seller didn't read your previous posts on the boards and placed you already on their BBL!

That would certainly eliminate your dillema to buy or not to buy.

As for asking everyone else weather to buy something that only you are the best judge of - can't see how anyone can possibly give you a valid answer.

For my part, here goes:

A strapless formal dress is just about the most glamorous attire a woman can wear - and you want to add sleeves????!!!!  NO

Also, no, you can't just return it unless it's faulty or seller accepts returns for the change of mind.

But then again, as you are a seller - nothing stopping you re- selling it.

Don't know what replies seller left to negs - but what ever it is it doesn't surprise me - I think that by now all sellers would have had a gut full of carp with this ridiculous f/back system where no one has to justify anything (buyers) - so heaps of them are well past caring what they say in response - sellers are merely expressing how they feel about the transaction - just the same as buyer do!

Both parties are entitled to their opinions - according to Ebay.

Yes, strapless dresses are glamarous, but personally I don't think they are very modest. Thats why I don't wear them.

Message 6 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

@jessicadazzler wrote:

but I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right

I have found that trusting gut feelings is the way to go.

I'd have to add sheer gathered sleeves or something

Modifying the dress, or even trying to modify the dress, and you can not make a later claim as you are unable to return the dress in the same condition as it was when received.

Part of me says go for it, buy it, and I can return it if it's not right

Buyers having an "I can return it" attitude and then proceeding to buy is what a lot of sellers feel is a failing in eBay nowadays.

Ask questions before buying until you feel 100% confident in the dress.  If, after asking questions, you still have that niggle then do not buy!

Message 7 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

If you feel a strapless dress is not modest enough for you then why buy it?   You are never going to feel comfortable and relaxed in it.

If you really must have that dress, consider a lace bolero or separate top rather than sleeves.....they will always look like an add on and will completely spoil the dress.

Message 8 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

If you look good you will look good in a fertiliser sack, if you don't you'll look a moose in anything, so don't worry about it.

It's only other women who notice clothes anyway. And whatever you wear, they'll hate it, 

Message 9 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Okaaaaayyy... Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 74
Latest reply