To buy or not to buy?

So I've got a very formal event coming up in October and I've started looking at dresses. The dress I wore last year was ok, but it wasn't very comfortable and I want something really stunning for this year.

I've found a beautiful dress, it's in Australia which is a plus, it's only $180 (excluding postage), but the seller has 99.6% feedback. I wouldn't mind except the seller has left really horrible feedback for people who left negatives. I'm not saying that I'd leave a negative (thanks for teaching me that lesson, everyone) but I have a niggling feeling that something isn't quite right.

Also, it's strapless, and because I don't wear strapless dresses, I'd have to add sheer gathered sleeves or something. Is it too much trouble?

Its such a shame cause I really like this dress! Part of me says go for it, buy it, and I can return it if it's not right. But then part of me says don't risk it. So, to buy or not to buy, that is the question...

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

To buy or not to buy?

>>A strapless formal dress is just about the most glamorous attire a woman can wear<<

My goodness, I could NOT disagree more! There aren't too many women who look good in a strapless dress, and I can never understand why so many brides these days think that is what they should wear. Unless you have shapely shoulders and arms, and a BMI under 25 and not a spare gram of fat, then they look absolutely hideous, especially if there is any hint of bingo wings, or rolls of underarm or back fat., Yuk!

Message 11 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

egglesdtp,

My goodness, I could NOT disagree more!

You are free of course to disagree all you like, but the strapless dress is pure glamour.

The fact  that you need squre shoulders, height, smooth skin, no flab hanging underarms or spilling over the edge at the back and underarms goes without saying.

I thought OP obviously knew that - otherwise she wouldn't have been looking at strapless dress in the first place.

Message 12 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

@fixnwear wrote:

egglesdtp,

My goodness, I could NOT disagree more!

You are free of course to disagree all you like, but the strapless dress is pure glamour.

The fact  that you need squre shoulders, height, smooth skin, no flab hanging underarms or spilling over the edge at the back and underarms goes without saying.

I thought OP obviously knew that - otherwise she wouldn't have been looking at strapless dress in the first place.

And you of course are free to think that strapless dresses are 'pure glamour'.

As for the OP - can't assume she was aware of the limitations of body type at all. Just look at the number of women who wear strapless dresses when they obviously should not. If only they could see themselves from all angles....

Message 13 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

If in doubt, DON'T! That's a good motto for ALL potential purchases, online or otherwise.
Message 14 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Have only just come across this thread and am now really curious to know what you decided.  I must agree with englishrose - if in doubt - don't & also lyndal's comments, as the added sleeves will probably not look perfect - as though they were part of the original dress.

And I certainly wouldn't risk leaving it to buy a dress on your way to the event !!  Heaven forbid - what if you don't find something you like Smiley Surprised

My thoughts, for what they're worth, if you really like the basics of the dress, (and it seems you do) is there a dressmaker anywhere near where you live ?  You could perhaps take a picture of the dress to them & explain you would like it with sleeves & perhaps you could have one made in a similar fabric.  Just another idea to consider . . . . . .

Message 15 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

So the moral of this story is, just buy in person!

Thank goodness I didn't buy the dress online I liked, because I went to Dubbo and found the *perfect* dress, only slightly more expensive, and just so much more suitable. And it's by one of my favourite designer - Eileen Kirby!
Message 16 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

That's excellent news.

Part of the problem with buying online is the fit & there's every possibility you might have had to to pay for alterations. Then if you wanted bits added on, it could be a problem finding matching material or something that would go well with it. Trust me it could have worked out more expensive in the long run than the frock you bought at the store.

Message 17 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Yeah I totally agree. It doesn't help that I'm quite tall so I really need to try on dresses in person, otherwise they stop at my ankles and look kind of weird 😛 I will try to find a picture somewhere of the dress I got to show you 🙂
Message 18 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Yes, would love to see it. You must be so relieved it is all sorted and nothing to worry about now for the function coming up.

Message 19 of 74
Latest reply

To buy or not to buy?

Yay, great news jd & thanks for letting us know the outcome. 

You know now too, on the day you will feel so confident & a million times better than you would have, had you bought the other dress and had it altered and sleeves added & weren't 100% happy with it. 

Now all that's left is (well maybe you also need to get shoes & a bag, lol) - but most importantly enjoy the occasionSmiley Happy 

I'm such a slow typer. . . . . .   would love to see a pic too

Message 20 of 74
Latest reply