measles scare at Perth Waldorf School

Vaccination clinic offer ignored after measles scare at Perth Waldorf School

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-09/measles-scare-perth-waldorf-school-snub-vaccine-clinic/8789550

i suppose these parents who dont believe in vaxinations also dont wear seatbelts, dont use sunscreen, look directly at the sun, cross roads with their eyes closed...ect ect

because they know better.

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: measles scare at Perth Waldorf School

I had the same injections as Stawks but I didn't complain too much as I had seen the results of an adult who caught polio.   She was a nurse from England who caught polio from some of her patients.

She had metal calipers on her legs and still had to use crutches for the rest of her life.   She was also a widow with a toddler so her mother had to give up her life to look after them both.

The little girl grew up way to quickly.....she had to help look after her mother who was very housebound and had to rely on the child and her own mother for the rest of her life.

The measles vaccination did not come in till the late 70s I believe....our doctor would not give it to my eldest daughter as he thought it was unsafe but he did give it to my youngest 4 or 5 years later as it had been changed and was now considered safe.

In 1968 I was expecting my first baby and was inadvertently exposed to German measles....I had to be given the antivenom.  Now that was a injection to be worried about.  It was a very thick serum so needed a thick needle....and there was a lot of it.  My doctor ended up giving it in 4 different injections but it was still extremely painful, leaving bruises at the injection site and I could not sit down for 2 days.

As a baby in the late 1940s I had the standard available vaccinations including diphtheria and whooping cough but it did not prevent me getting something in the 70s that was suspected to be diphtheria....my kids had to go to their grandmother's for weeks and I could not come in contact with anyone....was not even allowed to answer the door.   That was before there was any thought of booster vaccinations for adults.  I had so many courses of antibiotics that I developed an allergy to penicillin....I cannot use it to this day.

My mother caught mumps from my eldest daughter in the l970s and she was really ill.   My youngest daughter caught everything from her older sister usually before she was old enough to have the jabs.

There is no way on earth that I would not give my children all possible vaccinations and neither would I dodge having any adult boosters that are advised....and if I had been asked I would have advised that my granddaughters have every available vaccination too....thankfully it was a no brainer as they got them without me having to say anything.

Message 11 of 44
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

You're lucky the polio vaccine was an oral vaccine.

When I was a kid, the vaccine was delivered via a needle the size and thickness

of a nine inch nail.

Every kid bled like a stuck pig and every kid had to be held down.

Geeze they musta been rough, I dont even remember getting an injection  

2 of my kids contracted measels, their sister didnt   .... they had all been vaccinated

Message 12 of 44
Latest reply

My missus was visually impaired as a kid and lost her eyesight completely in her early 30,s. She is the last of the babies ( at the time ) affected by rubella. Her mum was not vaccinated and had the infection whilst pregnant. She is lucky it only took her eyesight as the effects can be much worse.

Because vacinations have been so succesful, we have forgotten the legacy that non vacination can leave. Parents who refuse to vacinate their kids are self absorbed, foolish plonkers in my book. The goverments policy of not providing welfare and family payments to non vacinates should be supported.

Message 13 of 44
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

Secondly, while I am pro-vaccination... I am also pro choice!  I am against forcing parents to inject their children with chemicals, especially when there is such a lot of controversy around them.

So, you can get on your high horse and scream from the roof tops all you like about the anti-vaxers..... But they have a place in this world just the same as the pro-vaxxers do, AND they have a right to disagree with modern medical interventions, whether we like it or not.

I respect their right to make a personal choice. I might not agree with it, but what right do we have to take away someone elses rights?
NONE!!!

The problem is the parents who choose not to vaccinate their children are not just placing their own kids at risk.  For vaccinations to effectively control serious diseases, at least 95% of the population need to be vaccinated. Once vaccination rates fall, diseases can take hold and affect very young children who may not have been vaccinated yet. The no vaxers are placing other peoples children at risk of life changing dissability and even possibly death.

Yes parents can make a choice to put their own children and society at risk, but society has a right to say, if you choose to do that, taxpayers wont forward you the privilege of family support payments.

vaccinations have been very successful and many bimbo parents simply don't understand the terrible effects these disease outbreaks can inflict. The only thing we can learn from history is we dont learn from history.

Message 14 of 44
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I'm not opposed to vaccinations but it's funny how things have changed since I was a kid. 

I remember being given the oral vaccine to combat polio, and vaccination against German measles in my teens, but getting any or all of the other kind of measles, mumps or chicken pox were seen as a part of growing up.  Presumably there was no vaccine for them in 'the olden days'. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now measles seems to be announced as a cause for panic.  Mind you, they often don't say what kind of measles.  If it's the German kind then it can be dangerous, especially for anyone pregnant.

We used to regard getting any of the above (except polio of course) as an excellent legitimate excuse to get out of school, and if you were lucky it might be for weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚

I,m no expert, but I believe the Rubella that has left my wife blind is German Meazles. The vaccines to prevent German Meazles have been widely used for nearly sixty years now and have proven to be safe and effective.

A pregnant woman who catches German Meazles has an 85% chance of passing it on to her unborn child. The damage to the fetus is often devestating and can lead to still birth, deafness, blindness and mental retardation.  Its not the  antivaxers " right" to endanger  their own or other peoples babies in this way. Its just stupid, selfish nonsense from very ignorant people who really have no idea.

Message 15 of 44
Latest reply

Yes, Rubella is German measles.

I remember reading about the actress Gene Tierney whose eldest daughter was born severely disabled (this was in the 1940s) after Gene contracted German measles.  One day years after this occurred the actress met a fan who told her that they had met once before and that she (the fan) had measles at the time but she was determined to meet her favourite star.  This event had happened when Gene Tierney was expecting her daughter.  You have to wonder what the poor woman must have felt about this fan considering what happened to her daughter.

Message 16 of 44
Latest reply

i think there is an episode of 'poirot' with that exact plot.

Message 17 of 44
Latest reply

Given the seriousness of Rubella & the last two posts - I don't think Agatha would be so insensitive.

Message 18 of 44
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

i think there is an episode of 'poirot' with that exact plot.

Yep there is david  ..... Book/movie is titled The Mirror Crack'd    ...... Miss Marple not Poirot

Message 19 of 44
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Given the seriousness of Rubella & the last two posts - I don't think Agatha would be so insensitive.

I'd read the tragedy of Gene Tierney's daughter in Tierney's autobiography but apparently the story was known before then.  So I looked it up on Wiki and yes, elements in The Mirror Crack'd, a Miss Marple story, was based on the incident. 

The Mirror Crack'd is also the book that Agatha Christie dedicated to the actress Margaret Rutherford who initially Christie was very much opposed to her playing Miss Marple in the 1960s movies.  Margaret Rutherford looked nothing like the Miss Marple of the books, but after seeing the first movie Agatha Christie changed her mind....mind you, I imagine it's had to find fault with someone who was such a wonderful actress as Margaret Rutherford.  Hence the book dedication.

I have the DVD set of the Rutherford Miss Marple movies and they are great fun.

Message 20 of 44
Latest reply