measles scare at Perth Waldorf School

Vaccination clinic offer ignored after measles scare at Perth Waldorf School

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-09/measles-scare-perth-waldorf-school-snub-vaccine-clinic/8789550

i suppose these parents who dont believe in vaxinations also dont wear seatbelts, dont use sunscreen, look directly at the sun, cross roads with their eyes closed...ect ect

because they know better.

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

This made me go look for the book to re-read.

First published in 1962.

Antoinette Daria Cassini - born 1943.

Ms. Tierney, do you remember me?” asked the woman.

Gene had no memory of having met the stranger. She shook her head and replied, “No. Should I?”

The woman told Gene that she was in the women’s branch of the Marines and had met Gene at the Hollywood Canteen.

Gene never would forget what the woman said next.

“By the way, Ms. Tierney, did you happen to catch the German measles after that night I saw you at the Canteen?”

The woman revealed that she had had the measles herself at the time but had broken quarantine just to see Gene at the Canteen.

Gene was dumbstruck. That woman had given her the measles! She was the sole cause of Daria’s disabilities. Gene said nothing. She just turned and walked away.

Message 21 of 44
Latest reply

Message 22 of 44
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Bright - not quite sure what kind of a look this is.

Robot Frustrated

Message 23 of 44
Latest reply

Can you say that you believe completely that my child will certainly have no serious side effects from the immunisation?

Can you say that two years ago when I was deciding whether my child should have the flu vaccine that there would be no serious side effects?

Do you know for sure that there is no truth that some children may indeed be sensitive to some of the ingredients in the preservatives used in the immunisations?

There are just too many unknowns.

Are children being mass immunised to fit in with the government to encourage women to work and children to go to day care?

In Sweden, they immunise as necessary. No measles, no mumps no need to vaccinate at this time. 

Message 24 of 44
Latest reply

The flu vaccination is a different thing to the infectious diseases such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, German measles etc.

I have not checked the present recommendations but when my children were young it was not a recommended vaccination for children.

The flu vaccination is not guaranteed to stop you from getting flu...just ask my husband.  He has regularly had the flu jabs but is just now recovering from the flu.

Message 25 of 44
Latest reply

i cant say any vaxination is 100% safe, not even experts will make that promise.

i do know if a child (or an adult) who isnt vaxinated gets any of the diseases coverred by vaxinations is likely to suffer extremely from these diseases if not die.

plus they run the risk of passing it on to other non vaxed people of all ages.

personally it doesnt affect me, i'm fully vaxed and up to date.

but if i had just had a baby who was not old enough for a vax, then i'd be pretty angry if my baby got some preventable disease because someone else decided they knew better.

i dont see people dropping like flies from not being vaxed but if we all decide 'why should i vax my kids, theres no problems now' where would we be?

maybe those choosing to not vax should have a talk to someone who has just watched their loved on pass away from a preventable disease?

Message 26 of 44
Latest reply

mloreason
Community Member
Those choosing not to vaccinate heir children can count themselves lucky that the overwhelming majority of parents choose to do the responsible thing and get their children vaccinated. It is because of this "responsible action" that the risk of their unvaccinated children contracting a deadly disease is significantly reduced. However don't expect the anti-vaccination brigade to thank you for helping to protect their children.
Message 27 of 44
Latest reply

@coleco666 wrote:

Can you say that you believe completely that my child will certainly have no serious side effects from the immunisation?

Can you say that two years ago when I was deciding whether my child should have the flu vaccine that there would be no serious side effects?

Do you know for sure that there is no truth that some children may indeed be sensitive to some of the ingredients in the preservatives used in the immunisations?

There are just too many unknowns.

Are children being mass immunised to fit in with the government to encourage women to work and children to go to day care?

In Sweden, they immunise as necessary. No measles, no mumps no need to vaccinate at this time. 

What the medical professionals can say with a lot of confidence is that if your daughter is unvaccinated and catches German measles in the first ten weeks of pregnancy, your future grandchild has an 85% chance of presenting as a still birth or being severely disabled. This includes potential brain damage, deafness or blindness.  ..... doesn't happen ???   Our family lives every day with the dramatic effects of non vaccination. My wife is blind, due to her mother not being vaccinated as a child.

The non vaxers are risking their grandchildrens health ( and other peoples health ) in order to follow some uninformed, conspiricy theory idealogy.

Message 28 of 44
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The flu vaccination is a different thing to the infectious diseases such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, German measles etc.

I have not checked the present recommendations but when my children were young it was not a recommended vaccination for children.

The flu vaccination is not guaranteed to stop you from getting flu...just ask my husband.  He has regularly had the flu jabs but is just now recovering from the flu.

Agree about the flu vaccine - very different.  It only covers what is hopefully the most likely kind you can catch at the time.  It can't cover you for all types of flu.

Even the shot my cat gets for cat flu doesn't cover all types.

Message 29 of 44
Latest reply

I think in all fairness, it is a number of factors that have helped see the huge reduction in childhood diseases in Australia and around the world. Not only vaccination.

We now know that isolating, good hygiene and health standards contribute to having a healthy resistance to disease. 

We now know what a big part breast feeding plays in the first few months of a childs life. How the mothers immunity (life long  for herself if she has actually had measles or chicken pox etc) is passed to the newborn.

We also know that yes ,german measles vaccination for protecting an unborn child is necessary.

We now know in hindsight, that Thalidomide was not safe. Doctors did not know this at the time.

Do we know for example, with certainty, that the MMR vaccination is safe?

There are many parents who have had bad experiences with this vaccination who question it's safety.

We are lucky in Australia, that as a community we have worked hard to reach a point that we have minimised these childhood illnesses that I had when I was a child. I assume I passed on my lifelong immunity to my children, who had these illnesses, mumps, measles, chicken pox - but in a much milder form. This was before immunisation was offered in Australia for these illnesses. In my experience as a mother and as a child nurse over this time, I only saw one child with a complication from measles. I saw many children hospitalised for illnesses that were magnified because of lack of nursing care at home and a poor health status to begin with.

In Sweden, no measles at this time, no need to vaccinate at this time.

If we could have the same policy here in Australia and perhaps add to it :If you go overseas or you come to Australia you must have all your vaccinations covered. This would surely help keep our community immunity and health standards protected and save mothers from having to make tough decisions to vaccinate or not to vaccinate with all those vaccinations now part of the schedule.

I feel very sorry for all you mums out there having to make such tough decisions. I would really like to see more compassion and kindness from people on all forums who say some very harsh things. You made a decision for your child based on...... maybe another mother has made her decision based on. perhaps, ..... a baby who was severely jaundiced at birth, a baby who is not at daycare everyday and is at home, It really isn't your business to judge. You don't have all the information. 

That is the problem, we don't have all the information. We need to investigate, support and share our concerns, but with kindness and concern for all involved.

Message 30 of 44
Latest reply