Last minute bid

I was bidding for a pair of shoes and was the highest bidder up to the last three seconds when I was outbit by someone. How does that work? By the time I got the notice that I was outbit it was too late to raise the amount. It has happen to me before, I was even sitting in front of the screen until the last second apparently being the highest bidder but then soemone else won over me. Anyone any tips or ideas on this one? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

The person bid within the last 3 seconds. Nothing strange or underhanded, it's exactly how ebay works

My only tip is, stating the obvious but (especially if you are in front of the computer at the very near end as you were) even IF you are in the lead at that point, bid your maximum you are will to pay

That's what an auction is, people are able to bid until literally the last split second 

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

@mark-678 wrote:

That other person that attempted to answer your question is just plain wrong. People are using ebay sniper apps or similar software. I was the only bidder for an item, for the entire time, and up until the last 3 seconds I was outbid (EVEN WITH RAISING MY MAX BID!) I was watching it live for the entire last 5 min and hitting refresh over and over and the very second I was outbid, I did not have enough time to make another bid. Obviously Im not happy, and that other comment was just plain stupid and condescending

I don’t use any snipe program, like others I simply bid manually in the final seconds.

As others have said, bid your maximum bid and let it play out.

I didn’t find the other answer ‘just plain stupid’ . . . and I don’t think that poster misses out on bidding their maximum due to someone sniping in the final seconds, they miss out because their bid wasn’t the highest bid.

Nothing stupid about that!

lynsh84
Community Member

You do not have to be using a snipe service to bid in the last few seconds.

I regularly place my bids at 2-10 seconds, depending on the speed of the internet on the day.

The last bid is not necessarily the winning bid.....it also has to be the highest bid.  I have missed out on items at times even though I placed the last bid.

Just place the highest amount that you are willing to pay and don't rely on increasing the amount if someone outbids you.

mark-678
Community Member

That other person that attempted to answer your question is just plain wrong. People are using ebay sniper apps or similar software. I was the only bidder for an item, for the entire time, and up until the last 3 seconds I was outbid (EVEN WITH RAISING MY MAX BID!) I was watching it live for the entire last 5 min and hitting refresh over and over and the very second I was outbid, I did not have enough time to make another bid. Obviously Im not happy, and that other comment was just plain stupid and condescending.