How do sellers get away with advertising "100% leather" when it is really PU or imitation?

I am getting a little annoyed when looking for genuine leather items on ebay (shoes, bags, jackets/coats, electronic device covers, etc) to find that items advertised as 100% leather are imitation leather and not natural animal hide (Animal [most commonly cow, sheep and pig] hide is what leather actually is, despite how sellers want to redefine the word to suit themselves).

Here is one such example:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121407498617&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Can anything be done to stop this deceptive practice? Perhaps there are policies already in place in the way of wording guidelines for advertisements? These practices are not only deceptive but fraudulent. Even the words "cotton" and "silk" are in advertising for synthetic garments. 

It could be argued that all a buyer has to do is ask for clarification from the seller, but surely the onus should be on the seller to be upfront and honest in the avertisement. I personally have been burnt a few times and now frequently ask for clarification, which is simply a waste of my time in 90% of cases, and even so, some sellers still insist that their products are genuine when they are not!

What can be done to clean up this problem?

View Entire Topic

Listings can be reported and ebay are often not aware of it until it is reported as they can't vet all listings put up by sellers. (Each listing has a report link)

Faux leather or vinyl is permitted as long as it's clearly indicated to be as such.

I agree, the onus is on the seller but because the site is operated on a trust basis by members, it is difficult to eliminate.

Always the few that spoil it for the rest.