How is an Australian seller not based in Australia?

I bought a laptop battery which stated that it was located in Melbourne.  The ad clearly states "3 year warranty".  After 18 months, the battery has nearly died, so I thought I would contact the seller and see if I can get a replacement. Of course they ignored my request, so I thought a phone call or letter may help- except when I dug deeper I found out they are based in Hong Kong! So a letter to ACCC will be pointless. Trying to get Ebay to do anything is useless, because it is outside the 90 day return period.  I have run out of ideas. 

(Or is Hong Kong one of the new outer suburbs of Melbourne?)

View Entire Topic

twyngyn said... "Australian Seller = seller will post to Australia"

That is a bit too simplistic, and not quite correct. When you are on the eBay Australia website, it's actually:

A) Search and filter for "Item Location : Australia Only" = Listed on eBay Australia, and Item Location is "Australia".

B) Search and filter for "Worldwide" = Item listed on another country's eBay site, but will post to Australia.

C) Search with Default (Item Location) = both A) and B) usually with items listed on eBay Australian (even if posted from overseas) given priority.

D) Items listed on another country's eBay site, the PRICE will be shown in ITALICS

E) In the search results, if the item location is overseas, it will show (eg) "from China" under the price.

F) In the item listing, the item location is shown under the POSTAGE section (eg: "from China").

G) The location of the seller (and what laws and guarantees might apply) is only shown on the seller's Feedback Page > Show All Feedback > 

All of those things are completely separate. A seller might be located in Australia (G), and list items on eBay Australia (A or C) yet be posting from China (E and F).

OR a seller might be located in China, List on eBay Australia, and have their stock in Australia, etc, etc.

None of any of that makes the slightest difference to any warranty. For all intents and purposes, there is no warranty on eBay Australia other than the 30-day Money Back Guarantee.

The exception is if you buy from a Registered Australian Business displaying an ABN, in which case you'd need to make any warranty claim them as a normal shop like K-Mart, GoodGuys, etc. If they don't honour it, you would enforce via your local Consumer Laws authority (eg: NSW Fair Trading).

Does that answer it, and/or can you supply more info?