Why do some sellers refuse to leave a buyer feedback (despite immediate payment for the item) until AFTER the buyer leaves feedback?

stem89
Community Member

In 6 years of trading on e-bay I've come across several sellers who do not leave feedback for the buyer until after the buyer has left positive feedback upon receiving the item.

The first time this happened, I put it down to forgetfulness on the part of the seller but now I'm beginning to suspect it's some kind of blackmail...eg "You leave your feedback first, and if it's positive, I'll leave mine"

When payment is made immediately after (eg. within 15 minutes of ) winning an item, the buyer is showing good faith and an expectation that the goods will arrive and be as described.

In my view, that deserves immediate positive feedback. The buyer has fulfilled their part of the transaction.

The only reason I could think of for a seller to hold back feedback is the possibility that they are expecting negative feedback.

Should there be a dispute, there is still an opportunity for the seller and buyer to change or add to their original feedback, so why not give immediate recognition of prompt payment?

For the many people who trade daily on e-bay, those stars aren't just there for decoration - I certainly use them to judge whether or not it is advisable to buy from a seller. 

Perhaps I'm being picky, but I am now compiling a list of people who only leave feedback AFTER they have received mine and I can promise I won't be a return customer.

View Entire Topic

Feedback is VOLUNTARY not Mandatory.

As sellers can leave nothing but +ive to a buyer then FB is of no importance other than to show whet the buyer has purchased.

Some sellers say that once the buyer has left FB to advise all is ok then that is the end of the transaction so the seller then leaves FB for the buyer.

More and more buyers these days do not leave feedback nor contact a seller to let them know the item has arrived.

Many buyer just leave negs for sellers without contacting them first about a problem.

Buyers are purchasing items from ebay NOT feedback.

So forget and move on.