warranty

Order number:09-10227-54923

Item was faulty after 30 days message for replacement.

im was replaced and is still faulty.
Messaged the seller through eBay and the seller agreed to a refund, if both items were returned.
Items returned and received by the seller on 13/10/23 Pictures taken and sent to the seller of the tracking number.

2 emails were sent on  2 separate dates to the seller, I'm getting no replies 
Awaiting refund. What do I do if the seller doesn't pay a refund?
The ad states 12 MONTH WARRANTY new parts

don't seem to get any help from eBay as 30 days have gone by.

how long do people need to wait for a reply?

View Entire Topic

If you didn’t escalate the dispute/refund request after 3 business days when the seller didn’t provide the refund, then you let the request time out - at which point it would have closed automatically. It can’t be reopened.

There is a real and in my view indefensible issue on eBay, where sellers claim to offer a warranty but it’s mere puffery.

Unless you purchase from a seller who is

• an Australian seller/located in Australia

• a registered business in Australia, and

• an authorised seller for the item you are buying

… then the words “12 month warranty” are a lure and won’t be honoured by the seller – nor can it be enforced.

ebay won’t enforce it because they have no authority to do so. (eBay offers a voluntary 30-day money-back guarantee but they do explicitly point out that this is not a product warranty.)

The ACL won’t enforce it because Australian Consumer Legislation only applies in this respect to Australian businesses and in terms of manufacturer /brand warranty, unauthorised sales will result in practical issues in enforcing protections.

When it comes to buying from international sellers, the ACL has neither power nor authority.

A warranty offers only as much protection as the ability to enforce it. 

If you paid by PayPal, you should be able to be refunded if you have proof of delivery n the tracking status. PayPal Buyer Protection has a timeframe of 180 days from the date of the transaction.

If you didn’t pay by PayPal (or if PayPal doesn’t refund you), you can try a chargeback through your card issuer (usually your bank). Timeframes vary according to the card issuer and the card, and may be as little as one month but more likely to be at least two months but no more than 6 months.

In the event that you actually purchased from a seller registered in eBay Australia (click onto their feedback to see where they’re registered), with an ABN, and they are authorised dealers of the item you purchased, then of course you can go through consumer protection… but I doubt that’s the case.

If you need a warranty, buy Australian. Don’t believe mere words in a listing; a promise of warranty from a Chinese seller, for instance, is worth as much as a sheet of used toilet paper.