$5000 mobile phone

Hi

i have been looking at some Sony xperia mobile phones which seem to be a few hundred dollars.

however some phones are listed with a $5000 price.

with are sellers listing phones for $5000 when they only cost a few hundred dollars in a retail store.

is this some sort of scam as it seems rather strange and perculiar to me to list a $5000 mobile phone.

so can anyone provide further cooments on these exorbitantly priced phones.

thank you.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

$5000 mobile phone

i think some sellers stick a super high price on an item when they run out of stock so the listing carries on till they get new stock.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

Thank you for the response/comment.

So what would happen if a person buys such a product for $5000 , would $5000 be taken from credit card , or the purchsed cancelled by the seller immediately..

it seems more sensible to remove the listing and incur what fee payable by the seller than to keep the listing there as the product will not sell at that price.

thanks

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

i dont know the whys and whatnots, just seen it mentioned here on the boards before.

would anyone be silly enought to pay $5,000 for a $500 or less phone?

i suppose there is allways a chance i guess.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

I believe it's done to keep the search rankings high david, otherwise if the listing is ended the ranking drops to the bottom.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

Guys , i am thinking it is some type of scam to get the buyers personal details i.e name address phone numbers etc to maybe participate in indentity fraud once buyer information is on sold to criminals

There would be listing fees on a $5000 product , which would make the sale rather pointless for the seller.

It is the most unusual thing on eBay ever i have seen.

I still am susipicious of thses type of listings.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

For example

Sony mobile phone , $5000 - 5 available - location Melbourne - seller based in China , this info is in the listing.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

well if its got 'china' in the description that makes all the difference, its a real bargain.

did i sa a bargain?

i ment avoid it like the plague!

no way id buy anything from china above about $10 including delivery, never spend what you cant afford to lose when buying from chinese sellers.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

Yeah this is why i say these listings are suspicious.

I think chineses based sellers harvest buyers personal information with these listing to spam the innocent buyer , maybe sell their information to crinimals.

I have received so many fake paypal emails and chinese based online store emails even though i have never done business with them but apparently i subscribed my email address on ther website to their mailing list , but i did not.

I think once a devious seller gets hold of a buyers personal information then problems may begin.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

$5000 mobile phone

@mrtone1973 wrote:
Yeah this is why i say these listings are suspicious.

I think chineses based sellers harvest buyers personal information with these listing to spam the innocent buyer , maybe sell their information to crinimals.

I have received so many fake paypal emails and chinese based online store emails even though i have never done business with them but apparently i subscribed my email address on ther website to their mailing list , but i did not.

I think once a devious seller gets hold of a buyers personal information then problems may begin.

The seller will only get personal information if the buyer actually buys the item at the inflated price - and nobody in their right mind would pay $5,000 for the phone.

As I said before it's a tactic used by sellers to keep their item rankings high, although it's against eBay's policies and can be reported.

Have a read of this thread to understand what I'm on about.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Out-of-stock/m-p/1944852/highlight/true#M69596

And here's the relevant policy regarding inflated pricings.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply