A friendly reminder that eBay should only be use by 18+yrs...

Or under the supervision of the account owner. Too often do we receive: "my son was disappointed because he thought..."

We try our best to h e 99.9% of our listings clear enough for even a 5 year old to understand. However, there are certain products that require you to read the title not just look at the picture.
For example, buying one card packet (contents the same but packaging artwork varies). We will have the 3-4 varying artwork as he photo. Title will state 1 (one) card packet. Then the description would state: you will receive one of he pictured packets. Contents are the same but external artwork may vary.
Pricing would indicate one as well. Kind of like seeing a paper add for a desk wih a laptop on it. If it is priced at $149 you would not expect the laptop to be included regardless of the exclusion statement being present or not. Of course, unless if you are a 6 year old child.

We fully encourage kids to have a browse but please leavin the buying to the adult. Do not let your kids buy.

Kids jumping on accounts and buyin without permission is another matter. Accidents happen. But please do not go complaining because your child thought they were getting a $60 product for $3.
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sorry about my spelling and grammar. I'm typing on a phone wih a tiny screen ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

For example, buying one card packet (contents the same but packaging artwork varies). We will have the 3-4 varying artwork as he photo. Title will state 1 (one) card packet. Then the description would state: you will receive one of he pictured packets. Contents are the same but external artwork may vary.

I haven't looked at your listings, but generally that kind of thing is misleading advertising, and will not just trick 6 year olds.

If you are having these kinds of problem, you really should consider listing more accurately, rather than accusing your buyers of being childlike.

Having more than one item in a photo could be classed as either lazy or deliberately misleading. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but what possible other reason would you have for including photos of items that aren't actually for sale?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

GRRR - I hate the quote system on these forums! Try that again...

I haven't looked at your listings, but generally that kind of thing is misleading advertising, and will not just trick 6 year olds.

If you are having these kinds of problem, you really should consider listing more accurately, rather than accusing your buyers of being childlike.

Having more than one item in a photo could be classed as either lazy or deliberately misleading. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but what possible other reason would you have for including photos of items that aren't actually for sale?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The seller deals in collectible cards and items usually collected by kids under 18 and a lot younger.. I don't know a lot of adults that play Yu Gi Oh, so it's not surprising that kids would buy from this store and be misled..

Anyone who knows about the pricing structure of these cards (Magic the Gathering booster packs usually retail in stores for around $6.95-$7.95) should know that you are not going to receive 4 booster packs for $5.60, particularly when the 2013 Core set has just been released.

The seller shows more than one pack in the photo because there is more than one artwork for the packs, perhaps people collect these.. The photo is a bit misleading for a child, but the listing for a booster pack clearly states 1 (ONE) Booster 15-cards M13 Pack Magic the Gathering English 2013 Sealed MTG

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe compromise by showing only one packet in the gallery photo, and individual images of the other packets with a big, bold note saying something like 'the artwork on the packet you receive is selected at random'. People are more likely to want the cards than the artwork on the packets, and less likely to be disappointed at receiving different artwork than receiving less cards than they expected.

Also, brace yourself... eBay plan to allow under 18's to have accounts. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57480727-93/ebays-next-target-the-under-18-crowd/

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The US site has a lot of mad schemes reported as being in the pipeline, I think it is probably to divert attention away from what they are actually going to do lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

I cannot see allowing a child to have their own account without an adult accepting responsibility for it ever happening as an under 18 cannot e held to a contract.

If the parent were responsible then it would be no different to now where parents allow their children, accidentally or on purpose, to use their accounts.

Any child/dog/cat/goldfish did it excuse is treated exactly the same way by me as any other non payer, they pay up or they get a strike.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

sparkes9669
Community Member

Also, brace yourself... eBay plan to allow under 18's to have accounts. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57480727-93/ebays-next-target-the-under-18-crowd/

As a buyer I hope they give sellers the option to block these accounts the same as they do NPB's. If Ebay bring this in it would have to be a very rare item before I would except an SCO.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply